Ratings for Dr. Shiva Jayaraman

I was fortunate to have been referred to Dr. Jayaraman for a consultation and subsequent surgery re a complicated gallbladder issue involving the liver, bowel and duodenum. After my consultation visit I had every confidence that he would be able to resolve my problem. My recent surgery was an overwhelming success—and after a one-week stay in hospital and another week in Toronto—I am delighted to be back home recovering in Thunder Bay! Dr. Jayaraman’s skills, professionalism and bedside manner are exceptional! I feel blessed to have had such an excellent and competent surgeon treat my complicated condition. Thank you, Dr. Jayaraman! Stella S.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2018

Explained what was happening and didn’t rush us out of his office. Quick to ensure optimal care and spoke to the patent in the room with empathy

flag | Submitted January 26, 2018

Not quite sure how Dr. Jayaraman received this rating and how he's considered the #1 surgeon (general) in Toronto. To begin, after doing some due diligence on the "best liver surgeons" in Toronto, I came across Dr. Jayaraman. I immediately called his office and booked an appointment with his secretary for my mother to see him. She advised that she would have to be referred by her family doctor. We went through the process, all was good, and we got an appointment to see him within one week. The first time we met with Dr. Jay he asked about my mom's medical history etc. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer back in September 2015. She had colon cancer which had metastasized to her liver (70% of her liver was infiltrated with tumours), and several abdominal lymphnodes were also cancerous. She was diagnosed at Mackenzie Health hospital in Vaughan, the internist gave her 3 months to live. Our family did not appreciate this diagnosis, and we immediately received a second opinion from a oncologist in New York, USA. The oncologist provided us with hope and a much quicker and much better approach to her condition. It is going to be almost 3 years since my mom's diagnosis. She has been travelling consecutively to NY for cancer treatment. We became a bit tired of the travelling (even though we are so happy with the treatment and results she is receiving and her oncologist and surgeons in the US), so we decided to get another opinion here in Toronto. So we met with Dr. Jayaraman (credited to be the best surgeon in Toronto, who specializes in surgeries of the pancreas, liver and bilary duct.) Upon first impression he was kind and was keen to learn of my mom's medical condition, and wanted to help. Once we told him my mother was receiving treatment in the US, he was basically offended and said awful things to us. In short, in the 3 years that my mom has been receiving treatment in the US for her cancer, not once has she cried at any point in her journey (through her liver surgery, chemotherapy treatment, radiation, and not even when she was diagnosed). Dr. Jayaraman was so incredibly rude that he made my mother and I cry in the room while he continually jabbed us with his words (there aren't any options for her, she won't live long, the doctors int he US aren't technically helping her, and so on). The both of us were crying in front of him, and he was so insincere and just dismissed my mom. He didn't even offer to refer her to an oncologist here in Toronto or offer clinical trial options or anything. This meeting was back in May 2017. My mom is still under the care of her doctors in New York.

Submitted January 24, 2018

On June 20 2017 I had whipple surgery to remove cancer from my pancreas, Dr.Jayaraman and his team saved my life. My family and I can't thank him enough for giving my life back. His a fantastic DOCTOR one of the best in the world. I will always appreciate the kindess and care that I received. Angela Giommi Ghimouz 2017

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

Myself and our family can't say enough good things about Dr. Jayaraman. He has been my dad's doctor since 2010 and he has been nothing, but outstanding. Thank you for providing our family with the best care available and for always going the extra mile. Thank you will never be enough, The Cimicata's

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

I was admitted to the hospital for Pancreatitis and went to meet Dr. Jayaraman and his team who performed surgery on me. Dr. Jayaraman is an excellent compassionate doctor.He and his team worked relentlessly and persistently throughout my period of two-month stay in the hospital.I really appreciate the help, kindness and care that I have received. I will recommend Dr.Shiva Jayaraman to all my friends.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2017

Dave A, Dr. J./ Thank you, it's been five years now, i'm still healthy and retired,just married off my daughter.Much better than prognosis of others with pancreatic cancer.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Dr. Jayaraman has been a fantastic doctor through my gallbladder issues and my gallbladder removal along with my follow up. He has a lovely bed side manner and never makes you feel like your questions are silly. The appointments are always on time and he never rushes trough them. I would highly recommend the doctor. Judy (his office staff member) is also fantastic. She is always kind and somehow does her job with ease even when the phones are going nuts. Thank you both for everything. — Anna G

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

I went to see Dr. Jayaraman to remove my gallbladder in April 2017. Subsequent to the surgery, I had a minor infection that my family and I learned can happen and is common after this surgery. The team was cautious keeping me at the hospital. During the entire time Dr. Jayaraman and his team were nothing but professional, courteous and helpful. Dr. Jayaraman is a top surgeon and should you have the privilege of having him as your surgeon, take advantage of the opportunity. Thank you again Dr. Jayaraman and team for your excellent work and care. All the best. Antonio Rocha

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

I went to see Dr. Jayaraman following what was supposed to be a routine removal of my gallbladder, but in which the surgeon discovered a tumour on my gallbladder and a puncture in my small intestine. I was understandably terrified. Dr. Jayaraman scheduled me in to see him within 2 days and immediately put me at ease with his excellent manner and extensive knowledge. He booked me for an MRI in less than 24 hours after my appointment with him and then saw me again the next day. He had me admitted to the hospital and had my surgery complete within 48 hours of my MRI. Dr. Jayaraman saw me and my husband through every step of the process with patience and was always willing to answer any questions. Once my surgery was complete, he came to see me every morning and every evening until I was able to go home. I have never been so impressed with a doctor before. Dr. Jayaraman has an excellent bed side manner while maintaining a level of excellence in his work that is incredible. I will always rave about his work and my experience with him and would recommend him to anyone. Thank-you Dr. J! - Michelle L.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017