Ratings for Dr. Doreen Rabi

I was dismayed to read the comments of the note below. I could not disagree more with the author who, perhaps does not objectively address his or her concerns, or take personal responsibility for their own health choices. There unquestionably are no better physicians in Calgary than Dr. Rabi. Nobody. Whether it's her out-of-this-world bedside manner, her deep and complex understanding of endocrinology or even her quirky sense of humour, this gem of a person is second to none. Both my wife and I are diabetics: we’ve both been exposed to more doctors than we ever would have wanted. None compare to this consummate professional who has literally and figuratively saved both our lives. Non-judgemental, informative and willing to listen and not preach any course of action, Dr. Rabi is always at her patients’ disposal. As I, she is an educator and rightfully exposes colleagues and medical students to complexity of a busy practice at her clinics in order to train the next generation of physicians. Her team-based approach is not only thoroughly beneficial, it is avant-garde medicine that more doctors should embrace. Dr. Rabi’s abilities and natural brilliance cannot be overstated; her patients are indeed her family. If you are fortunate enough to be seen by her, hang on to her with everything you’ve got – you won’t regret it. - MGB

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

I was dismayed to read the comments of the note below. I cold not disagree more with the author who, perhaps does not objectively address his or her concerns, or take personal responsibility for their own health choices. There unquestionably are no better physicians in Calgary than Dr. Rabi. Nobody. Whether it's her out-of-this-world bedside manner, her deep and complex understanding of endocrinology or even her quirky sense of humour, this gem of a person is second to none. Both my wife and I are diabetics: we’ve both been exposed to more doctors than we ever would have wanted. None compare to this consummate professional who has literally and figuratively saved both our lives. Non-judgemental, informative and willing to listen and not preach any course of action, Dr. Rabi is always at her patients’ disposal. As I, she is an educator and rightfully exposes colleagues and medical students to complexity of a busy practice at her clinics in order to train the next generation of physicians. Her team-based approach is not only thoroughly beneficial, it is avant-garde medicine that more doctors should embrace. Dr. Rabi’s abilities and natural brilliance cannot be overstated; her patients are indeed her family. If you are fortunate enough to be seen by her, hang on to her with everything you’ve got – you won’t regret it. - MGB

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

I went through several very terrible months under Dr. Rabi's care. Her team-based approach cannot work until she gets a better team or starts doing the work herself. The biggest issue I have is that I underwent several months of having multiple hypoglycaemic episodes every week due to over-prescribed insulin, Metformin. Dr. Rabi wasn't even at the appointment when the insulin was prescribed! It was her dietician that gave me insulin, a pen, and needles all based off of ONE blood fasting test, and a finger test at the dietitian's desk without washing my hands first (I was very unknowledgable being new to diabetes and it had not occurred to me that left over sugar on my fingers from the food I just ate before coming in would affect the test!). Despite my requests to initially start with Diet and Metformin alone, they put me on two types of insulin. When they would not agree to eliminate my overnight insulin, I stopped myself and my hypoglycaemic episodes were reduced from 1-2 per day to about 5 per week. Despite this, they still remained attached to their original prescription, so I finally got a transfer to a different doctor. My new doctor collaborated on my health with me and a few weeks later I was managing diabetes without any insulin, and no more lows! I felt bullied and overwhelmed by Dr. Rabi's staff, and am undecided if her faith in her staff (the nurses and dietitians), is due to delusion, ignorance, or laziness. Additional grievances include that Dr. Rabi was always 45 minutes or more late for every appointment that she did attend, and that she would invite "team-members" to sit in on our appointments without my consent. To be fair, I did find Dr. Rabi to be pleasant, and I do believe that if she had been treating me personally (not her dietitians or nurses), was more diligent with initial diagnoses, and stopped having staff prescribe insulin without first meeting the patient in person, that my experience may have been totally different.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

Excellent, compassionate, extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and spends as much time as you need to answer questions or concerns. I have been traveling four hours round trip every six months to see her and it is totally worth it for me. I simply can't say enough good things about her. She's wonderful!!!

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

This doctor is totally amazing! She has such a caring compassionate attitude towards her patients ! Her medical knowledge on diabetes is excellent and I am so glad to have her in my corner! She goes above and beyond to make her patients well!!thank you Dr Rabi. -you are a very special person !

flag | Submitted August 26, 2016

Dr. Rabi is an amazing doctor! Very knowledgeable, helpful, insightful, extremely caring, and thorough. I've been seeing her twice yearly for many years and drive two hours each way for each visit - totally worth it!!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

My experience with Dr. Rabi has been wonderful. After having type 1 diabetes for 35 years she is one of the first endocrinologists that I have found to be non-judgemental and cares enough to spend the time to investigate the issues I am facing. There are never any easy answers with this disease but it is nice to know that when things aren't going perfectly, my doctor doesn't immediately think that it is because of my "non compliance". My GP could only tell me time and again that I needed to "get my blood sugars under control" without any real understanding or suggestions for why they weren't. Dr. Rabi understands that diabetes is not just about insulin and food but a myriad of complicated interactions in the body. I am sure that she will influence those that she teaches to understand this better.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2014

She is amazing!!! She has been seeing me for a couple years now.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2012

After nine years of going from specialist to specialist, Dr.Rabi has helped me get my life back. She is amazing if you can get in to see her.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2012

Dr Rabi is great; smart, witty, caring and helpful!

flag | Submitted June 27, 2011