Ratings for Dr. Reilly Smith

I struggle to write this because mental illness is a terrible thing. Dr. Smith took my condition seriously, and I think that was important. I would have liked him to start treating my depression right away as well as my psychosis. That is where he is conservative. I didn't manage to find the right mix of medicine until years after I left his care. But that's personally not his problem. I was upset to be involuntarily in the hospital, but I voluntarily checked myself in the hospital in the first place because I knew I needed help. Doctors don't always know what is going on when someone is as sick as I was, so I encourage anyone reading this to take care of their mental health before it goes to crisis status. I was in crisis and Dr. Smith put out that fire, so to him and my parents, I will be eternally grateful for starting me on the long journey to taking care of my mental illness.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

The Dr. that is in the wrong profession. He should be a veterinary Dr. as his people skills, he has none.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

A relative of mine had the misfortune of having Dr Smith as the Psychiatrist.It was obvious he is inexperienced in this field. He seemed off base and his responses to concerns regarding mental issues were very shallow. He has a long way to go and he needs to get off his high horses. He is not a good Psychiatrist and would not recommend him. .

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

Dr. Smith was great. He helped me get through a really tough time in my life, and you could tell he was always trying to figure out what was the best thing for me. He looked like he might be too young to know much, but when I started asking a lot of questions it was obvious that he was a true expert. He was sometimes too busy, but would always come back to me when he got time. Some of the nurses working with him were not so great, but others were really good.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2012

For a young and inexperienced doctor he is not very knowledgeable. He errs on the side of being ultra conservative. I had the unfortunate experience to have him as my doctor on Unit 21. Despite there not being any evidence that involuntary treatment helps people or protects them from suicide, he kept me certified, took away my rights to determine my treatment and convinced my husband to agree to ECT. I am forever damaged and traumatized thanks to Dr. Smith!! Many months after discharge, I had another reputable psychiatrist tell me that ECT would not have helped me nor does lengthy involuntary hospitalization. Dr. Smith is one of the worst psychiatrists in Calgary...run if you are ever admitted under his care (that's if you can!).

flag | Submitted June 7, 2011