Ratings for Dr. Ian Mak

I find Dr. Mak to be cold and uncaring. I had asked for a referral to a specialist and he said it wasn't necessary. I insisted and he finally agreed, however, he didn't forward the request to the secretary. When I followed up many weeks later she didn't know anything about it. Finally got the referral four months later. And I was right in wanting the referral! There indeed is an issue. Why does the patient have to diagnose the problem? Why does the patient have to ask for a referral? That's why we see a doctor!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

Went in for a serious issue and doctor gave me incorrect information which could have been very dangerous to my health. Thank god i went for second opinion. Hes lucky i dont sue for mal practice. Dont go to him!!

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

Always seems unsure of himself and how to diagnose anything I come to him with. Does not investigate anything, seems very disengaged/disassociative.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2016

Excellent doctor; very thorough and patient! He is very friendly and approachable.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

He is young and has not seen enough cases to properly diagnose conditions he is unfamiliar. After being told a skin lesion was "nothing" and prescribing a cream, and refusing a specialist referral when the issue persisted, a walk in clinic MD diagnosed skin cancer in the first minute of examination. Needless to say, I am changing doctors

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

Dr Mak is more attentive than the majority of doctors I have seen. I abandoned several before discovering him. When I started to see him, he was new and not too busy - I am not sure if that has changed or not as I have recently relocated. He is very attentive. He doesn't jump to drugs as the answer for your problems but is not afraid to write a prescription as required.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2013

Dr. Mak is a great doctor. He takes the time to listen to you. Unfortunatly the front desk Staff is are not as friendly. But what it matters is that Dr. Mak is a great doctor.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2013

I really like Dr Mak. I just started seeing him as my primary care Dr at the Mount Sinai clinic, Sherman Health center. I found Dr Mak to be very personable. We built a good rapport over a few appointments and he takes the time to listen. He also laughed at my jokes, which is very important to me :-)

flag | Submitted October 17, 2013

Dr. Mak is very personable IF you can ever get in to see him. You usually have to wait at least 10 days to get an appointment with him - even for serious issues. His office staff is careless and ineffective in handling referrals, appointments and follow ups. I am now looking for a new family doctor as this practise doesn’t seem to know how to operate effectively.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2013

Don't listen to the people who have rated Dr. Mak low. The only faults he has are his staff, which were the cause of his apparent tardiness. That being said he is now in a new facility with new staff and a much larger area to practice, therefore I believe the previous problems will be solved. Dr. Mak knows his stuff and does not give "text book" answers but rather his professional opinions. He is a great doctor, don't be fooled by the minority of bad reviews.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2013