Ratings for Dr. John Dempster

I've had severe bouts with depression over my epilepsy, so I had plenty of doubts as to whether Dr Dempster, or any neuro, could assuage my condition. Lo and behold, I've finally found a doctor who not only listens to me but is capable of explaining my condition and symptoms to me in exquisite detail but without condescending. This guy is now my go-to for everything neuro-related. I could not recommend his practice highly enough.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

See this doctor--he is a superb neurologist. I consult him for my epilepsy; I am now seizure free for a long time because he had the courage to change my meds. He has recently added another med that has improved my tremor by 50% when other docs gave meds that did not help and added weight gain. He thinks about side effects of meds and refuses to prescribe a med that could cause falls (I am elderly and "delicate" due to brain surgery). I have never had a finer neurologist, and that includes other large cities where I have lived. Some of the posted negative ratings are obviously disturbed people full of rage. Make your appt--you will receive excellent care from this top-notch physician.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2014

Submitted December 2, 2014

I have had epilepsy for 17 years now and have seen numerous Neurologists in that time as I have moved several times. I have met some good ones and some not so good ones and I feel as if I have a fairly good handle on my medications and know when a doctor really has my best interest at heart. That said, I have never had someone explain, in great detail, my condition and give me such good advice. I believe that Dr Dempster is by far one of the best neurologists out there and I would highly recommend him to anyone with epilepsy. I could not be more pleased and I am thankful to God for bringing me to someone that really cares and really knows his business.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2014

After reading the other comments here, I was TERRIFIED to see this doctor and came close to cancelling. I am so glad I went and met him. I found his staff to be polite, had no wait time and found Dr. Dempster to be extremely thorough, polite and he even cracked a joke or two. I honestly feel like this is a different doctor than has been reviewed here. I made a bold move and mentioned the comments I had read to his nurse, and was told some people do not follow advice/doctor's orders etc. and that he can be rather short or abrupt with them. But I was also told that the man is "brilliant" and this particular nurse stated is they or a loved one needed a neurologist,Dr. Dempster is absolutely the one they would see. I was very happy with my experience and look forward to my follow-up visit next month.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2014

Very bad irritable attitude. Not helpful, rude and snippy with me one visit. Another time an office manager hung up on me when I requested another doctor. Rude and bad doctor for his supposed good background

Submitted December 16, 2013

flag | Submitted April 19, 2013

fabulous knowledge excellent diagnostician gave me information i never had in the 53 years i have had seizures very nice interaction with my 15 year old grandaughter who is autistic and has seizures once again gave information which not only was new but was correct as opposed to what last doctor said he is quick to determine what the diagnosis is but listens very well and questions thoroughly and will adjust diagnosis as need

flag | Submitted April 5, 2013

I had been referred to Dr Dempster through my G.P. Someone warned me of his potentially ill bedside manner yet I found him to be very pleasant. He did arrive a bit late, I was the first appt of the day. He apologized and said he was the on-call Dr for the day (office near the hospital). He was painstakingly thorough with his questions and exam so he could tell me if I had had a TIA or not the previous month which lead to a 36 hour hospital stay. He explained the different medications and welcomed me to visit him again.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2013

I went to see Dr. Dempster based on my physician's referral. For a few months, I'd been experiencing minor tremors, and my physician wanted a neurologist's opinion. That said, he knew of 2 neurologists in the area. One was 1.5 hours from my house, while the other was 15 mins away. He asked my preference. I told him I wanted the best. Unfortunately, that meant driving 1.5 hrs to see Dr. Dempster. I am very thankful I did. Dr. Dempster sat with me and patiently listened to my symptoms (I'm sure he hundreds of stories like mine every day). Almost immediately, he sensed I was frightened at the possibility of Parkinson's and immediately made me feel at ease by explaining that not only did I not have Parkinson's, my type of tremors were not typically symptomatic of Parkinson's. He listened rather than assuming a diagnosis and quickly prescribing something to get me out of the office. I have no more tremors. According to my physician and others he knew, Dr. Dempster is the best neurologist in the region, hands down and by far.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2013

Dr. John Dempster's Credentials

• University Of Arkansas College Of Medicine (Grad. 2002)