Ratings for Dr. Paul A. Akerman

I was Dr. Akerman's patient for ten years. I had a procedure scheduled and was VERY nervous about it. It got to the point where i had a full blown panic attack the day before. I decided to cancel the procedure until I felt more comfortable and could talk to Dr. Akerman myself. (I only get to leave messages and if I'm LUCKY, his PA, Mary calls me back; I'm not crazy about her.) Today, I get a CERTIFIED LETTER from him firing me as his patient. I'm so upset as I write this. The letter states he is no longer my doctor due to "non-compliance." WTF? I've been his faithful patient for a decade, and this is how he decides to treat me? I'm not a piece of machinery on an assembly line, I'm a HUMAN BEING. I am so hurt and outraged that this is how he chosen to treat a person he has been treating for so long.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2015

Dr. Akerman is the best, for 8 yrs. I had incredible pain and went to see many dr.'s and none of them could tell me what was causing it. I finally went to see Dr. Akerman and with 15 minutes of talking to him and explaining the pain he knew exactly what it was. He has been my Dr. for this problem for 10 yrs. and he is the only one I trust with this. I travel from another state just to see him. He always answers all my questions and explains everything and never makes me feel like I'm bothering him. He is the best of the best!

flag | Submitted July 28, 2014

He couldn't come up with a diagnosis so he gave up on me. He is very intelligent and I had high hopes but he seemed to get frustrated because he couldn't come up with a diagnosis so he refered me back to my primary care doc who sent me to him. He just kept prescribing different meds that made me sicker. I wouldn't reccomend him unless you already have a diagnosis.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2013

If you have GI issues, then Akerman is the man you want to see. He is a brilliant doctor. My only issue is that you can NEVER talk to a real person when you call his number. You have to leave a message, and then pray you at home for the ONE shot you get when someone from his office calls you back. It's very frustrating, and off-putting, but he is so good, that I put up with it. Has performed several surgeries on me, and all were successful.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2011

Dr. Paul A. Akerman's Credentials

• George Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Providence, RI