Ratings for Dr. Albert Chan

My mom was admitted for a second time with a heart attack this year. She has multiple problems with her lungs, leg arteries, and kidney. One of the cardiologists tried to unblock her blood vessels but it was not successful. We were told just to continue with medicine. She remained in the hospital and was admitted to the ICU several times over the next few weeks because of fluid in the lungs and she required machine to help to breathe. She was finally referred to Dr. Chan and we were told by the other doctor that he would be the only one that could help my mom. We waited for another week in the hospital for the procedure because they could find a time to fit my mom for the surgery. At the surgery, Dr. Chan finished in one hour and came out to tell us all her arteries were unblocked. There were 8 stents put in two blood vessels. He also showed us the pictures of how the blood vessels looked at the end. We greatly appreciated that and this helped us to understand. My mom was discharged home a couple of days after, and she has been doing well. Dr. Chan was amazing. He was very pleasant to us and was highly skilled. It was worth everything to wait for Dr. Chan. He has saved my mom’s life. We highly recommend Dr. Chan.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2017

I am the primary care giver for my elderly father who has dimentia. We saw doctor Chan for a second opinion. On the first appointment he was incredibly condescending and it seemed as though he hadn't bothered to look over my father's file at all. He was offended when I tried to explain my father's situation and even became sarcastic and irritated when my father got confused. Once he realized we knew more than he assumed, he did seem kinder. . On the next visit he was again condescending and rude, offered little information, and avoided eye contact with me. I generally have great experiences with doctors. Had I not needed to keep it together for my father those 2 days, Dr Chan's attitude would've made me pretty upset. In not sure if he simply just doesn't appreciate those who come for second opinions or perhaps he just happened to have 2 bad days at our expense. Maybe its because I knew my father's history quite well and he hadn't done his homework the first visit, and his pride was hurt. Either way, my father was left feeling like he'd done something wrong. Very sad.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2016

I can not begin to express how much i respect and trust Dr. Chan.. I am beyond pleased with the PFO closure he performed on me this week. Ive had tires patched that took longer... trust me..I have had major health issues and a specialist for all my major organs and this man knows his stuff...you will be in the best hands... Someone commemted about his bedside manner..not sure of the expectation, but he made a special trip to my recovery room to bring me a.picture.of my heart with the device he just inserted because he knew id love it and appreciate it.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2016

Just got back from an apt with Dr. Chan... he was on time, came out to the waiting room introduced himself and shook my hand. Not sure what personality people are wanting from him, but I found him to be completely appropriate in all of his responses. Laughed, smiled and delivered great information. I feel 100% confident that he knows his stuff and am looking forward to him performing the catheter closure on my PFO. As a matter of fact, there is no one I would trust more with this procedure and am grateful he took me on.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016

Dr Chan is very intelligent & technically strong. I was scared with his review in the beginning but yesterday he installed four stents during catheterization procedure. I am very happy with his services.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2016

I understand that Dr. Chan is supposed to be technically strong, but my father's experiences with him have all been very poor. Our normal experience started with a long wait - usually more than an hour. He's in the office, walking in and out, but not dealing with his waiting patients. When asked, his staff don't have any idea when he will be available. This is the good part. My father has serious difficulty tolerating many medications. Dr. Chan was completely unable to come up with an alternate plan. It appears that there is a set regimen of medication and the patient must follow it, despite any side effects. He made no effort to understand the nature of the problem and dismissed my father with, if you won't take the medications I've prescribed (my father's GP won't let him take them) then I can't help you. He just turned on his tail and walked out without any sort of compassion or concern.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2015

I just got home from an appointment with Dr. Albert Chan cardiologist. Appointment was for 9 am and he was two minutes early. Greeted my Wife and me as the door and invited us into the examination room. He listened to my story and my issues, got me on the table and took the blood pressure. He then said to me I want a stress test, blood test and ecg. and I also want a holter test. I figured the stress test would take about two months and the rest perhaps not quite that long. He wrote out some prescriptions and told me to go across the street and get set up and he would be there in a few minutes. I got the stress test and he was there throughout. After reading the comments here on Dr. Chan and his staff I thought I was in for a rough ride but on the contrary the receptionist/nurse was very nice and efficient and Dr. Chan was the kind of person I like. Listened then no BS and within and hour and a bit I was on my way home feeling like I got more than I counted on. If every Dr. was like him I would be the happiest person in the area.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2015

Thank God for Dr. Albert Chan, the brilliant cardiologist at Royal Columbian Hospital! He is extending people's lives every day. So many of us would not have seen the light of day again without his expertise!! There are no words to thank him enough.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2014

The first impression in a physician’s office is the competency i.e., attitude of their office staff. My perception of Dr. Chan’s office staff is that they are not competent i.e., did not follow-up on booking appointment(s) in a timely way as an outcome of an ER cardiac referral. Dr. Chan is not patient-family centred. Dr. Chan did not provide any teaching about the diagnostic condition, what to expect post-angiogram while waiting to see the Electrophysiologist, nor what to do in the event of another cardiac episode while waiting to see the electrophysiologist. The wait to see the electrophysiologist is unknown i.e., approximately 3 to 4 months. The attitude of the electrophysiologist’s receptionist is that oh well, there is only one electrophysiologist in Vancouver so the doctor reviews the cardiology referral and decides that you are “routine” so you wait. No booking date, just “you wait” until we call you.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr. Chan may appear to be lacking in people skills because he is no nonsense and abrupt so if you are looking for a friend I suggest that you look elsewhere. If on the other hand you have heart problems this is the man to see. He really does have magic hands. I was referred for an angiogram in mid October and they found a large blockage in the coronary artery which is referred to in the profession as the widow maker. The Dr. couldn't get through the blockage to place a stent and so I was referred to Dr. Chan. Wasn't impressed with his manner but he got me back in to RCH in early Dec. and cleared that blockage and repaired it with two long stents. Thank you Dr. Chan, you are the greatest where it counts.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2013