Ratings for Dr. Valerie Whiffen

I credit Dr. Whiffen with saving my daughter and keeping her off of medication. From outside of the therapy I could see my daughter attached to and trusted Valerie. Dr. Whiffen was consistent in her availability to my daughter and as time went on she gradually increased time between the therapy appointments at a pace that respected my daughters needs for slowly letting go. I was invited to attend one session where my daughter was encouraged to communicate what she needed to to me. It was a positive experience. It was long term therapy my daughter needed and the difference in her was observable. Thank you Dr. Whiffen. I am for ever grateful.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2016

An extreme feminist. She had made her mind after the first 5 min of me explaining my story to her . Just after our session was over, she mentioned that she'd seen me because of my partner's request and she's not going to see me anymore. I found this very unethical and felt like she used me to extract information out of me in order to convince my partner that her diagnosis is correct. Such a waste of time and money!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2015

Dr. Whiffen saved my marriage. I have seen a number of psychologists over the years and until I saw Dr. Whiffen, I had given up hope. She is incredibly knowledgable and stood by me during a very difficult period of my life. Many thanks.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2012

She seemed to value her own opinions about me more than my how I felt. She completely misunderstood me. Waste of my time and money.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2011

Although has books and numerous peer reviewed papers published is a poor clinician. She completely missed the mark with me, giving me a break in the treatment when I was clearly unstable. I asked her each and every single session whether I should go back to medication and what else I could do to prevent relapses of depression. She failed to refer me back to my psychiatrist, never got back to me with valuable resources/research on how to prevent recurrence and only reviewed and reinforced my spiral down cycles. The result was the worst bout of depression I have ever had. She was never available to see me when I needed, being fully booked for weeks and then, when I reached rock bottom, she referred me back to my psychiatrist and that was it. I found out later about mindfulness cognitive based therapy and have been depression free and finally happy for almost an year now. Bottom line: read her book, don't get her as therapist!

flag | Submitted March 17, 2011