Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

First impression was that Denise is very professional and in total control despite obvious fast paced environment in fielding relentless calls and guiding patients through filling in the various forms. The minimally invasive approach of Dr Pope was an attractive option for me as I had always thought aback operations would be a last resort to my long standing L5/S1 disc problem which deteriorated to the point where I could not do anything pain-free, including functioning as a father to my young daughter. He went through in detail treatment options like short term pain management and surgery and recommended an approach. I was fortunate to get booked into the Mater with short notice and felt like I received superstar service from having his name attached to my bed. Most important of all, the post-surgery experience was exactly as he described, immediate relief from nerve pain in the legs. With hard physio work, my back is now back to full strength in 4 months and my whole family have benefited just as much as I have.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

I was referred to Dr Pope for a ruptured C6/C7 section. We talked over the possible options for treatment and decided surgery as the best option. Coming from regional NSW (700 km from Sydney) I thought I would be making frequent visits to Sydney for surgery and appointments. However this was not the case as Dr Pope and his staff made every effort to minimise my travel by doing all necessary post-op appointments via Skype which were free of charge. It is great to know that coming from regional NSW you can still have access to high quality medical specialists without all the travel. The first specialist I have come across that offers these services.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2015

I was referred to Dr Pope for a ruptured L5 S1 disc. I found him to be informative regarding my options suggesting a more conservative approach rather than surgery in the first instance. Once an operation became the best option Dr Pope and his staff made the process from hospital bookings to the surgery relatively stress free due to their efficeint, reassuring and confident manner. I found Dr Pope to be informative, professional, and extemely good at what he does. I would have no hesitation in referring anyone who requires this type of surgery to Dr Pope.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Most caring, professional and informative doctor I have ever seen. My operation was a brilliant success, more than I ever dreamt of. My GP told me Dr Pope was good, but I would say he is wonderful in all aspects. He listens to everything and his staff are very helpful.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

My name is Anny & I had pain that caused me to be off work,playing tennis,going to the gym. I saw Dr Pope who saw me quite quickly out of hours as I had been waiting to see another surgeon & feeling desperate as the waiting list seemed long & my pain was worsening.He explained my problem & recommended conservative measures before surgery.I went on however to have a discectomy end of January .He explained the procedure clearly & succinctly. I went home the next day .I was back driving a car within 3 days & back to work within 10 days.I'm glad to be pain free & enjoying my previous lifestyle thank you DrPope

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

I found Dr Pope extremely helpful and patient with explaining the options available. Unfortunately in my case the disc rupture was quite severe and the only option was surgery. I was out of the hospital on the same day and have had a very good recovery from the pain I was previously in. I've recommended Dr Pope to two friends who have had issues and both were given advice on how to resolve their issues without surgery. The staff is also very helpful and made sure the paperwork I required for work was followed up.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

I travelled from Queensland to Sydney for Lumbar Microdiscectomy, Decompression and Rhizolysis as my options for this MIS were limited here.Dr.Pope is a caring, highly skilled Neurosurgeon who has helped to resolve my chronic sciatic pain. Six weeks after surgery there is some residual pain which is diminishing with time. Nothing was a trouble to any of his staff either and I would highly recommend Dr.Pope's expertise to anyone requiring this type of Neurosurgery.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015

I personally cannot fault Dr Pope or his staff.My first visit to Dr Pope was on the 30th October 2014.At the time I near threw up at the price but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.I had an L5/S1 ruptured disc.Dr Pope operated on me 21st November 2014.I was walking around that afternoon having been almost cripled for a month before hand.Dr Pope is a magician as far as I am concerned because I have had no pain ever since he woke me up in recovery.I still watch what I do but I suppose it's because I am more conscientious in the way I lift and carry things.Again I cannot fault Dr Pope and what I believe is his head secretary Denise,she could not be more helpful.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

I injured my back and was referred to Dr Pope following an MRI and CT scan. He explained at length what the problem was and the treatment options required to assist in my recovery. He was reassuring, comforting and made me feel at ease. His staff are excellent and do everything possible to assist in any way they can. I have now had surgery and was able to walk out the hospital the following day. Three weeks following the surgery I was pain free and not on any pain medication. Dr Pope is always punctual, professional and explains anything and everything. I am ever so graceful for the exceptional care given to me by Dr Pope and all his staff.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2015

I had a L5/S1 disc protrusion and endured back pain and sciatica for some 6mths before contacting Dr Pope who was recommended by a friend. Being based in central NSW it was not easy to get to Sydney to see him so he gave me an initial consult via Skype after reviewing my scans and recommended surgery. I had minimally invasive surgery Nov 2014 and walked out of hospital the next day with no leg pain. My recovery has been great and feel 100%. Dr Pope has been a fantastic surgeon and he and his office staff have provided excellent follow up care with regular consults via Skype or phone. I have every confidence in recommending Dr Pope and his team, particularly to those who are regionally based and are unable to get to Sydney on a regular basis. Adrian, Dubbo

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion