Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Saw Dr Pope for a second opinion on my back and leg pain. Slipped disk with severe effect on my life. First surgeon had suggested surgery and Dr Pope agreed and explained why. He wished me well and left me to decide what to do. I was so impressed at his explanation and because of his reputation, I went with him for the op. The laminectomy went well and he freed up both sides. I was out of hospital in 1 day and I have not looked back. He did exactly as he stated and I could not be happier.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

I am Angie, 41 yrs old, and profoundly deaf. I want to say that Dr Pope gave me a miracle in my life. I had a large L5/S1 prolapsed disc bulge and sciata. It was painful for over 12 months. I endured without painkillers. I tried many alternate therapies, none successful. I was afraid to have surgery, but when I found out Dr Pope had the latest technology, keyhole minimally-invasive surgery, I gained confidence with his surgical skills, experience and care for me. My surgery was a complete success, one night stay over in hospital, up walking the next day. I have no pain whatsoever now and recovered quickly. If left, my back problem would have worsened, requiring fusion. Dr Pope was amazing. It has been life-changing for me. I am no longer in pain and am now walking better than ever. I feel like a new person, more alive and can now enjoy life every day. I would encourage anyone who has back pain to seek Dr Pope's help. Many many thanks to Dr Pope and his team. I will always be grateful to Dr Pope. Angela

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

I visited Dr Pope with severe pain and loss of feeling in my right leg and was diagnosed [on the basis of x-rays and MRI] as having a disc pressing on my sciatic nerve. Dr Pope has a reputation of not recommending surgery lightly but in my case an ALIF [anterior lumbar interbody fusion] operation was recommended. He ensured that I understood the risks and likely benefits of the surgery. My experience could not have been better as I was able to have the operation at the Mater Hospital in a short time. I was able to walk the same day, and left hospital after two nights. After 2 months, I now have full feeling and no pain in my right leg. Dr Pope has been matter of fact in his advice and has addressed all the issues I have raised with him. I have every confidence in the skills of Dr Pope and his team.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2015

Saw Dr Pope for advice on disc bulges. He was careful in taking a history and examined me thoroughly, then viewed my images he had arranged previously. I was glad to hear he did not push for an operation but over time I may need one. He sent me to some qualified colleagues rather than just leaving me without a plan and gave me info. He has made me think about my back pain differently and reassured me that my back is strong. I do have to lose a few kg but that seems fair. Good system he has and easy to make an appointment within a few days.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

dr pope is very helpful, and he helped me as much as he can

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

I had a herniated disc S1 /L5 extrusion. The extrusion was touching the nerve & was in constant pain unable to do anything. After trying doctors, physio, acupuncture, drugs & rest nothing seem to help. Friend recommend Dr Pope & have not regreted it, Dr Pope performed key whole surgery on my back & I walked out the Hospital without pain the next day. Two months down the track recovery is ahead of schedule & scar is tiny. I always felt very safe in Dr Pope's hands & staff.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

The recovery from my recent double fusion spinal surgery has been truly amazing. I would not hesitate in highly recommending Dr. Raoul Pope. He is a truly skilled, caring and talented surgeon. Spinal surgery is not something you approach lightly. Raoul was confident and informative and made the whole experience almost pleasant. After a month no one even notices my scar.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Was referred to Dr Pope with brain scans and safe to say I have never received such a poor first referral in my life. He acted in a rude manner and had a very condescending tone when he spoke and often cut in between my questions or answers whenever I was prompted to speak. I cannot comment on his treatment or helpfulness because I did not go back.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I had a microdiscectomy in November 2014 and am relieved to say that I've had no back problems since.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

I have been having back problems for the past 20 yrs. I was previously a Carpenter but could no longer maintain the physical endurance required. just before Christmas whilst lifting, I felt a disc go in my lower back & after getting an MRI it was discovered I had a disc bulge at L4 - L5 creating spinal stenosis. At first it was not so bad, but the pain got progressively worse day by day & 2 months later my left foot was becoming numb & the leg pain was intensifying. A specialist surgeon was recommended to me, but at first meeting I felt very uncomfortable with him. After an examination he found that the strength in my left foot was weakening and said I need a Laminectomy & Discectomy at 2 points. The explanation was very rushed & the questions I asked were not clearly answered. His personality was Non - existent. I searched Google for a less invasive procedure & came across Dr Pope's website with a video of the keyhole surgery. After my first visit I felt very comfortable with him. He performed the same examination and agreed with the other surgeons assessment. He said he did not recommend keyhole surgery as the position of the disc bulge would not easily accessed. He did not agree with removing 2 laminae though & thought this was unnecessary. His explanation was very thorough and answered all of my questions. He said if I do not have this procedure I will loose the use of my leg so I booked the surgery for the April 01, But my pain got so bad, I rang the Mater Hospital and asked if I could be admitted early for pain management. 5 mins, later Dr Pope rang back & said he will see if he could arrange it for me. The Mater the had me booked in 4 days before my procedure and the staff were excellent & friendly. I have never been in hospital before, let alone have surgery on my spine, but the whole experience was not at all daunting. My surgery was very successful & after 2 weeks I am pain free & am left with a 5 cm incision which will disappear over time. I have just returned from a 3 km walk and will return to work on the 20th. I still have numbness / weakness in my foot & leg, but he has linked me up with a trusted physio for ongoing rehabilitation. I would like to thank Dr Pope & his staff for giving my life back & would recommend anyone the see him.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion