Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Most caring, professional and informative doctor I have ever seen. My operation was a brilliant success, more than I ever dreamt of. My GP told me Dr Pope was good, but I would say he is wonderful in all aspects. He listens to everything and his staff are very helpful.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

My name is Anny & I had pain that caused me to be off work,playing tennis,going to the gym. I saw Dr Pope who saw me quite quickly out of hours as I had been waiting to see another surgeon & feeling desperate as the waiting list seemed long & my pain was worsening.He explained my problem & recommended conservative measures before surgery.I went on however to have a discectomy end of January .He explained the procedure clearly & succinctly. I went home the next day .I was back driving a car within 3 days & back to work within 10 days.I'm glad to be pain free & enjoying my previous lifestyle thank you DrPope

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

I found Dr Pope extremely helpful and patient with explaining the options available. Unfortunately in my case the disc rupture was quite severe and the only option was surgery. I was out of the hospital on the same day and have had a very good recovery from the pain I was previously in. I've recommended Dr Pope to two friends who have had issues and both were given advice on how to resolve their issues without surgery. The staff is also very helpful and made sure the paperwork I required for work was followed up.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

I travelled from Queensland to Sydney for Lumbar Microdiscectomy, Decompression and Rhizolysis as my options for this MIS were limited here.Dr.Pope is a caring, highly skilled Neurosurgeon who has helped to resolve my chronic sciatic pain. Six weeks after surgery there is some residual pain which is diminishing with time. Nothing was a trouble to any of his staff either and I would highly recommend Dr.Pope's expertise to anyone requiring this type of Neurosurgery.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015

I personally cannot fault Dr Pope or his staff.My first visit to Dr Pope was on the 30th October 2014.At the time I near threw up at the price but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.I had an L5/S1 ruptured disc.Dr Pope operated on me 21st November 2014.I was walking around that afternoon having been almost cripled for a month before hand.Dr Pope is a magician as far as I am concerned because I have had no pain ever since he woke me up in recovery.I still watch what I do but I suppose it's because I am more conscientious in the way I lift and carry things.Again I cannot fault Dr Pope and what I believe is his head secretary Denise,she could not be more helpful.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2015

I injured my back and was referred to Dr Pope following an MRI and CT scan. He explained at length what the problem was and the treatment options required to assist in my recovery. He was reassuring, comforting and made me feel at ease. His staff are excellent and do everything possible to assist in any way they can. I have now had surgery and was able to walk out the hospital the following day. Three weeks following the surgery I was pain free and not on any pain medication. Dr Pope is always punctual, professional and explains anything and everything. I am ever so graceful for the exceptional care given to me by Dr Pope and all his staff.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2015

I had a L5/S1 disc protrusion and endured back pain and sciatica for some 6mths before contacting Dr Pope who was recommended by a friend. Being based in central NSW it was not easy to get to Sydney to see him so he gave me an initial consult via Skype after reviewing my scans and recommended surgery. I had minimally invasive surgery Nov 2014 and walked out of hospital the next day with no leg pain. My recovery has been great and feel 100%. Dr Pope has been a fantastic surgeon and he and his office staff have provided excellent follow up care with regular consults via Skype or phone. I have every confidence in recommending Dr Pope and his team, particularly to those who are regionally based and are unable to get to Sydney on a regular basis. Adrian, Dubbo

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Saw Dr Pope for a second opinion on my back and leg pain. Slipped disk with severe effect on my life. First surgeon had suggested surgery and Dr Pope agreed and explained why. He wished me well and left me to decide what to do. I was so impressed at his explanation and because of his reputation, I went with him for the op. The laminectomy went well and he freed up both sides. I was out of hospital in 1 day and I have not looked back. He did exactly as he stated and I could not be happier.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

I am Angie, 41 yrs old, and profoundly deaf. I want to say that Dr Pope gave me a miracle in my life. I had a large L5/S1 prolapsed disc bulge and sciata. It was painful for over 12 months. I endured without painkillers. I tried many alternate therapies, none successful. I was afraid to have surgery, but when I found out Dr Pope had the latest technology, keyhole minimally-invasive surgery, I gained confidence with his surgical skills, experience and care for me. My surgery was a complete success, one night stay over in hospital, up walking the next day. I have no pain whatsoever now and recovered quickly. If left, my back problem would have worsened, requiring fusion. Dr Pope was amazing. It has been life-changing for me. I am no longer in pain and am now walking better than ever. I feel like a new person, more alive and can now enjoy life every day. I would encourage anyone who has back pain to seek Dr Pope's help. Many many thanks to Dr Pope and his team. I will always be grateful to Dr Pope. Angela

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

I visited Dr Pope with severe pain and loss of feeling in my right leg and was diagnosed [on the basis of x-rays and MRI] as having a disc pressing on my sciatic nerve. Dr Pope has a reputation of not recommending surgery lightly but in my case an ALIF [anterior lumbar interbody fusion] operation was recommended. He ensured that I understood the risks and likely benefits of the surgery. My experience could not have been better as I was able to have the operation at the Mater Hospital in a short time. I was able to walk the same day, and left hospital after two nights. After 2 months, I now have full feeling and no pain in my right leg. Dr Pope has been matter of fact in his advice and has addressed all the issues I have raised with him. I have every confidence in the skills of Dr Pope and his team.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2015

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion