Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

The recovery from my recent double fusion spinal surgery has been truly amazing. I would not hesitate in highly recommending Dr. Raoul Pope. He is a truly skilled, caring and talented surgeon. Spinal surgery is not something you approach lightly. Raoul was confident and informative and made the whole experience almost pleasant. After a month no one even notices my scar.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Was referred to Dr Pope with brain scans and safe to say I have never received such a poor first referral in my life. He acted in a rude manner and had a very condescending tone when he spoke and often cut in between my questions or answers whenever I was prompted to speak. I cannot comment on his treatment or helpfulness because I did not go back.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I had a microdiscectomy in November 2014 and am relieved to say that I've had no back problems since.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

I have been having back problems for the past 20 yrs. I was previously a Carpenter but could no longer maintain the physical endurance required. just before Christmas whilst lifting, I felt a disc go in my lower back & after getting an MRI it was discovered I had a disc bulge at L4 - L5 creating spinal stenosis. At first it was not so bad, but the pain got progressively worse day by day & 2 months later my left foot was becoming numb & the leg pain was intensifying. A specialist surgeon was recommended to me, but at first meeting I felt very uncomfortable with him. After an examination he found that the strength in my left foot was weakening and said I need a Laminectomy & Discectomy at 2 points. The explanation was very rushed & the questions I asked were not clearly answered. His personality was Non - existent. I searched Google for a less invasive procedure & came across Dr Pope's website with a video of the keyhole surgery. After my first visit I felt very comfortable with him. He performed the same examination and agreed with the other surgeons assessment. He said he did not recommend keyhole surgery as the position of the disc bulge would not easily accessed. He did not agree with removing 2 laminae though & thought this was unnecessary. His explanation was very thorough and answered all of my questions. He said if I do not have this procedure I will loose the use of my leg so I booked the surgery for the April 01, But my pain got so bad, I rang the Mater Hospital and asked if I could be admitted early for pain management. 5 mins, later Dr Pope rang back & said he will see if he could arrange it for me. The Mater the had me booked in 4 days before my procedure and the staff were excellent & friendly. I have never been in hospital before, let alone have surgery on my spine, but the whole experience was not at all daunting. My surgery was very successful & after 2 weeks I am pain free & am left with a 5 cm incision which will disappear over time. I have just returned from a 3 km walk and will return to work on the 20th. I still have numbness / weakness in my foot & leg, but he has linked me up with a trusted physio for ongoing rehabilitation. I would like to thank Dr Pope & his staff for giving my life back & would recommend anyone the see him.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

For 4 years I have had neck pain and pain running down my arm with tingling numbness in my fingers. I have an office job and the pain became unbearable as it was nerve pain running down my arm. I was on endone Valium etc to control the pain. My go did an Mri showing nerve compression in two discs c5 to c7 causing the pain down my arm. I went to one specialist who put me on lyrica and explained the possibility of spinal fusion surgery requiring 6 weeks off work and the need to wear a neck brace. I felt that the precedure was not explained properly and decided to get a second opinion. I googled on the net and found dr pope that did minimally invasive surgery. I saw dr pope who after tests found I had weakness in the right arn and recomended I have spinal fusion surgery of c5 to c7. He explained everything thoroughly advising I would only be in hospital 1 to 2 nights and could be back at work in 1 to 2 weeks. He also explained that if I left severe nerve pain longer than 3 months there was a possibility of permanent damage. I had a lot of fear having surgery as a lot of people say leave spinal surgery as a last resort. I had my surgery on the 2nd April at the mater and was discharged on the 5th april. About 8 days after surgery I was off heavy pain killers and immediately after surgery felt no pain down My arm. After 2 and a half weeks I am going back to work. Dr pope and his staff are so caring and helpful. I have a 5 cm incision on the side of my neck that will disappear in time. Dr pope is a miracle worker and I would recommend him to anyone. I would never have any fear again about spinal surgery again and to be pain free is wonderfull.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

Graet communicator and staff useful and friendly. Operation successful and follow-up good. I am back to work and enjoying life whereas before it was tough. Keyhole surgery was good option

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

My GP swears by Dr Pope and I had no reason to doubt that trust. My lower back pain and sciatica was affecting me terribly. Nothing was working and I was in trouble. Dr Pope saw me 3 times and fusion from the front seemed logical. He explained the options and I wanted more info on the fusion. He was clear and the whole process was easy to follow. I am now 3 months after the op and sm doing really well. He guided me to some trusted physios and I could not be happier. He has been just as my GP said.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

I am very pleased with the ALIF fusion at L5/S1 for my back and leg pain. I was home 3 days after surgery and my pain is gone. The whole experience was first class and I was very confident I knew all the facts before signing up.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2014

Saw Dr Pope for a bulging disc in my neck with severe left arm pain to my hand. Very disabled and tried all sorts of other treatment before being referred by my concerned GP. Dr Pope gave me a number of options of treatment including surgical ones and I had my questions answered. After some time, it was obvious that surgery was needed and he performed a disc replacement procedure. This cured me of all neck and arm pain almost immediately and I was home the next morning. I am still pain free and have full strength in my arm 6 months later and cannot state how grateful I am for Dr Pope's help. He was patient and kind and let me decide what suited me. I recommend him to everyone who asks.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2013

Need more experience to make diagnosis properly.Listen the patient symptoms and past management carefully before make any new management plan.compare to very experienced neurosurgeon he is charging very high for surgery.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion