Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Dear Dr Pope, I'm truly grateful for all you had done. Every month there's improvement. I can now shower, dress myself and perform light duties, thanks to you. Even though I still have pain (which is controlled by a 10's machine) in my lower back, I feel happy that I can live a reasonably normal life. If in the future my lower back becomes unbearable, you'll be the only doctor I'd consult. May God Bless you abundantly. Sincerely thanking you, Carol Chapman

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016

I would highly recommend Dr Raoul Pope. He provides impeccable service, and felt very at ease. I suffered from L4/L5 disc herniation for over 3 years, and it was Dr Pope, who guided me through the options offered. In the end due to the severity of the pain, I had a L4/L5 discectomy. A brilliant neurosurgeon, and because of him, today I am able to function normally and enjoy life to the fullest!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

Dr Raoul Pope is an excellent surgeon and has the ability to listen to his patients and respond with positivity and gave me more than hope and that was in the knowing that my life was improving under his care. Neck and back pain can be very difficult to cope with and in my case my neck was falling apart and after the fusion I have made headway in the right direction. I have much to thank Dr Pope and his team of specialists for, as without their skills I would be bed ridden in agony. Dr Pope works hard to solve spinal problems and looks at the spine holistically in terms of mechanical functioning, clearing space for nerve healing and looking at the problem realistically by giving an estimate of recovery. I like the way Dr Popes treats his patients with an attitude of equality, respect and kindness. I would certainly feel comfortable in seeking help from Dr Pope if the need arises again. I highly rate this Doctor and it was worth travelling from Adelaide to obtain his help. Many Thanks.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2016

Dr Raoul Pope and his team are friendly and compassionate. From the first consult to the last interactions I felt cared for and informed, everything was professional but personalised at the same time. Dry Pope was honest and knowledgeable, he gave me clear information which I could understand and when I left his offices I knew where I was at and what was happening next. I didn’t have to wonder, I left his office with the confidence I needed to stay mentally strong. Dr Pope gave me realistic information and options. He did not make unrealistic promises. This was my second procedure performed by Dr. Pope. I will probably require further procedures in the future and I am grateful that I know a surgeon I can trust. Dr. Pope clearly has the skill and brilliance of a top surgeon, my recovery and ability to function daily without debilitating pain is a testament to this but on top of this it was really nice to be treated by someone who is humble and compassionate towards you and your individual situation it kept me strong throughout the journey. I can’t rate Dr Pope highly enough he allowed me to save my job, my sanity, my life.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2015

"Dr Pope is the most comfortable calm spoken spine specialist I have ever met, he removes all your worries, your wearys, your pain and replaces them with assurance that with his years of knowledge and his expertise in the Human body as a Neurosurgeon and Spine Surgeon you can only feel without a doubt you are in safe hands, I should know, 18months of Pain, 3hours of surgery, 1 happy patient. I just also would like to mention all of Dr Popes administrative assistants have all been very courteous kind and friendly which really makes you feel like you'll be taken cared of, Thank you Dr Pope and all who practice along side him, thanking you for everything you've done for me, if you all knew how I came abouts to finding Dr Pope you would all be surprised, I say it was a little Heavenly push in his direction but that's another story, God Bless you all, amen"

flag | Submitted October 21, 2015

I had L5/S1 Herniated Disc, had the surgery in mid Feb, was back doing sports (slowly) mid-July. My 3 month check up wasn't necessary as I was progressing so well. Was back doing Thai Boxing and playing football by the 6 month mark with no problems. Would advise anyone to go see Dr Pope if you have back problems, can't recommend him enough.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

excellent. diagnosed my back problem (cyst) - I was completely out of pain and able to walk for miles 3 days after surgery. Super job. This man knows what he is doing.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2015

I had spinal fusion surgery 12 weeks ago of the c456&7 discs in the spine. I was in awful pain prior to the surgery and had virtually lost the feeling in both my hands. I had put up with this for 4 years and was on heavy duty medication. I saw doctor Pope and he did not just suggest surgery, he wanted to rule out other causes first. Eventually once the results were indicating surgery was the best option I was booked in within 8 weeks. Denise is also someone who makes visiting his rooms a pleasure. She is both personable, helpful and professional. Dr Pope was always punctual and I never felt like he was in a hurry with me. Once I had the surgery I awoke in no pain other than a small amount from the surgical site, but feeling in my arms and hands had returned and I felt overwhelmed with gratitude. I came off all of my pain killers and had my life restored. It's been 15 weeks now since my surgery and I had had no pain since awaking from the anaesthetic. I continue to get stronger and attribute this great success to the professional skills and qualities of Doctor Pope and his team. He is a very humble man who has great empathy and cares for his patients. I live in rural NSW and when I couldn't make a Sydney appointment he would arrange to have an appointment via skype. I have young children and this was extremely helpful because my husband could be present too. I have nothing but admiration and gratitude for Doctor Pope and his team and would highly recommend him to anyone --- well actually I do recommend him to everyone I speak with about my surgery - he gave me my life back and I am one happy camper.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2015

When I was referred to Dr Pope I had been in agony in hospital for 2 week after injuring my back. I was unable to walk more than 20 metres, needing assistance to do so. When I visited the surgery Denise was respectful and helpful. She kept me informed of waiting times etc. Dr Pope was very courteous and friendly. His manner put both my wife and I at ease. He was very knowlegable answering every question we had. He provided us with options for this problem. Even though there was a cost involved we chose the keyhole surgery. The procedure was discussed comprehensively and my wife and I felt quite confident that we were well informed when we left the rooms. The surgery was performed 3 days later at the Mater. The staff at the Mater were wonderful. The Anaesthetist, Dr Poon also contacted us with costs. I could barely walk into the hospital but 4 hours after surgery I was walking very slowly and short distances. Dr Poon rang me at home a couple of days post surgery as well. The follow up has been more than I expected. I live nearly 3 hours drive from the rooms. The first post op visit was in the rooms and since then Dr Pope has contacted us via Skype which means we do not have to travel the distance to North Sydney. Denise has made all appointments, I have not had to remember to do it. I could not recommend Dr Pope's expertise and the professionalism of the team that works with him highly enough. I had to have physiotherapy post operatively, also hydrotherapy for about 2 months post op. I was back to work as a bus driver about about 5 weeks post operatively . I have some minimal foot drop as a result of the injury but I am now leading a pain free normal life and have been pain free for about 10 months. Brian Holliday

flag | Submitted August 13, 2015

Was not happy at all with how Dr Pope treated me. He said you have "just back pain" and told me i would have to live with the pain. He didn't explain anything about my condition. I have since been to another Dr that was great and did not brush me off.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2015

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion