Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Visited dr before for my pituitary tumor, I found he is reasonable, young but seems knowing his stuff. I found he is be rude or doesn't seem care much, kind of talking down and wondering why I was there for, should have seen endocrinologist first... don't take this wrong, he probably has thousands other more serious patients everyday waiting for operation, I don't know. Overall not quite comfortable with this dr.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

L5/S1 Fusion April 2016. Very pleased with the care I have received from Dr Pope. Chronic, debilitating sciatic pain for years prior to finally landing at his desk looking down the barrel of surgery. I was attracted by the minimally invasive technique he uses (this worked well for me I think but with no basis for comparison it's hard to definitively say). Post-op recovery was as expected e.g. slow and uncomfortable, however i steadily improved from surgery through until about 6-8 weeks when I began to feel somewhat 'normal' again. 6 months post now and feeling great after competing in a triathlon 3 days ago. I'm from a rural area about 3 hours drive from Sydney, Dr Pope has conducted my last 3 check-ups via Skype which is of enormous benefit to me in both convenience and cost. No regrets whatsoever in putting myself in his hands. I recommend highly. Also Dr Poon (anesthetist) was a very welcome addition to the team, cracking jokes before very efficiently knocking me out.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016

Third of March was "B" Day, unable to get on site to indicate my happenings. Although I was more than pleased with results then can only state that after 7 months I just keep feeling better and better. My thoughts of Bulging Disc surgery was replaced with words from Dr Pope of requiring major surgery, the wait for theatre time for the four hour operation was dreadful with a need for medication to ease the intense pain. I went from unable to stand upright or walk more than 30 metres to a now complete and normal life. My daily activities of walking and swimming are back to normal. I thank Dr Pope, with the highest recommendation from a very happy patient, Dr Poon was excellent, also to Denise at reception, obliging and kind.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

Dr Pope went above and beyond for my Work Cover case. He managed to involve a Specialist physio, pain Specialist, Occupational Doctor and have the IME in agreement with his management. I had a successful keyhole lumbar fusion and 3 months later back working full time. He gives you his full attention and never gives up on you. Without him, I would still be suffering. He is simply the best that you can get and at the top of his game. Thank you Dr Pope for doing what I thought was not possible.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2016

Dr Pope has recently operated on two of my disks at the L4/L5 area. He had to cut away disk from one side of my spinal column and bone from the opposite side. My spinal cord was being strangled from both sides. The operation went extremely well and was up walking the next day, and out of hospital on the second day. I was amazed when Dr pope and his anaesthetist Dr Poon visited me three times over the two day stay to check on my progress. I cannot speak highly enough of the level of service from all concerned. Dr Pope and all the staff at the Mater where not only professional, but caring people as well. It is the best hospital I have ever stayed in. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

From my first consultation with Dr Pope, I had the greatest confidence and respect for him and the way in which he advised me of my condition and the way forward to my recovery. In short - I knew he was the physician to give me back the good health that I was seeking. I knew from my first meeting, I was in the best hands to solve my problem and I can only say a Big, Big Thank You to Dr Pope and his team - he gave me back good health and a happy future. Again, thank you Dr Pope and all your associates.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2016

Probably the rudest professional I have ever met. He may be a very good surgeon but I never went beyond my first consultation to find out. I was referred by my GP for a review of my 20 year back problem and he talked down to me from the moment he called me in. He was very condescending even suggesting that the mere fact that I had managed to walk into his office suggested that my problem couldn't be that bad and that I was simply having a mid life crisis because I still wanted to do things that I could 20 years ago. I was completely shocked and made to feel that I wasn't worthy of his attention. I have significant lumbar bone degeneration and disc shrinkage but he didn't even bother to look at my scans before offering his assessment. Went back to my GP and asked for a referral to see someone else.

Submitted July 29, 2016

Pain is everything in your world when it is bad and how wonderful life is when that pain is gone. 2 years ago at age 59 years, Dr Pope did a lumbar laminectomy L4/L5 & S1. He also removed a synovial cyst. Unfortunately I required more surgery last week and had another large synovial cyst removed and a lumber discectomy. After both operations I was back at work on day 11. The other night (day 14) I woke with a smile on my face…. I had just turned over in bed pain free. I am very grateful to the dream team of Pope & Poon. My thanks to Denise, Linda, Dr Pope & Dr Poon. They really are a dream team and I am very grateful once again for their professionalism and dedication.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016

Constantly in pain so bad that you can't walk up or down stairs.?Then go to mr magic.This genius solved this with an operation and some good old rest. Off the pain killers in 24hours.Although initially afraid I strongly recommend dr Pope and the Mater and get your life back.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

Dr Pope is a very caring and compassionate. It has been 6 months since my operation for L4/5 laminectomy, and the result is truly remarkable. Prior to my operation I could not walk without the aid of an assistant, now I am taking the dogs for a half hour walk every day. Thankyou Dr Pope and your team you have turned my life around.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion