Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

I saw Dr Pope for a large disc herniation on L5 S1 that caused excruciating sciatic pain down my left leg. After months of pain and feeling miserable, I finally decided to look into surgery as all conservative treatments weren't working and the MRI showed a big prolapse. I felt immediately reassured by Dr Pope's way of explaining things and talking. He was calm and confident and said that the only way I'd get my life back would be through a lumbar discectomy. Even though spinal surgery felt like the scariest thing on earth, I decided to go for it. I would never look back. It's been 3 months now and I'm leading a normal life, going to work, long walks, swimming, playing again with my 4yo son, enjoying time off with friends. Recovery has been a bit uncomfortable and I was constantly worried of doing something wrong. In a way I still am, but I'm doing physio and daily exercises to get strong again. It's a process, but it was more than worth it for me. Also Linda in the office has been amazing at trying to accommodate my requests and the anaesthetist Michael Poon has been great with his cheerful attitude (and his drugs!) at making me feel calmer just before surgery. Thank you

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

highly skilled, effective, communicative Michael Poon a terrific anaesthetist. Great office staff

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

I have had ongoing Cervical Disc issues for over 10 years. I was initially hesitant to look at surgery as the general consensus was "don't go down that path" so I tried all other treatments including physio, chiro which for the first few years helped but in the last 12 months my disc deteriorated until my condition became unbearable. I finally went to see a Neurosurgoen, Dr Pope and I agreed to have surgery and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. The pain was instantly better post op and admittedly my neck was stiff and sore for a little while which required some physio but I have more of a normal life now then I had pre-surgery trying to "manage the pain' as opposed to fixing it. I have great movement in my neck, and I wish I had done this sooner. I strongly advise anyone with cervical disc issues to consider this procedure. Dr Pope and his team were fantastic!

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

All the staff was very helpful especially Linda and DR Pope is very helpful and easy to talk too.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

Visited dr before for my pituitary tumor, I found he is reasonable, young but seems knowing his stuff. I found he is be rude or doesn't seem care much, kind of talking down and wondering why I was there for, should have seen endocrinologist first... don't take this wrong, he probably has thousands other more serious patients everyday waiting for operation, I don't know. Overall not quite comfortable with this dr.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

L5/S1 Fusion April 2016. Very pleased with the care I have received from Dr Pope. Chronic, debilitating sciatic pain for years prior to finally landing at his desk looking down the barrel of surgery. I was attracted by the minimally invasive technique he uses (this worked well for me I think but with no basis for comparison it's hard to definitively say). Post-op recovery was as expected e.g. slow and uncomfortable, however i steadily improved from surgery through until about 6-8 weeks when I began to feel somewhat 'normal' again. 6 months post now and feeling great after competing in a triathlon 3 days ago. I'm from a rural area about 3 hours drive from Sydney, Dr Pope has conducted my last 3 check-ups via Skype which is of enormous benefit to me in both convenience and cost. No regrets whatsoever in putting myself in his hands. I recommend highly. Also Dr Poon (anesthetist) was a very welcome addition to the team, cracking jokes before very efficiently knocking me out.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016

Third of March was "B" Day, unable to get on site to indicate my happenings. Although I was more than pleased with results then can only state that after 7 months I just keep feeling better and better. My thoughts of Bulging Disc surgery was replaced with words from Dr Pope of requiring major surgery, the wait for theatre time for the four hour operation was dreadful with a need for medication to ease the intense pain. I went from unable to stand upright or walk more than 30 metres to a now complete and normal life. My daily activities of walking and swimming are back to normal. I thank Dr Pope, with the highest recommendation from a very happy patient, Dr Poon was excellent, also to Denise at reception, obliging and kind.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2016

Dr Pope went above and beyond for my Work Cover case. He managed to involve a Specialist physio, pain Specialist, Occupational Doctor and have the IME in agreement with his management. I had a successful keyhole lumbar fusion and 3 months later back working full time. He gives you his full attention and never gives up on you. Without him, I would still be suffering. He is simply the best that you can get and at the top of his game. Thank you Dr Pope for doing what I thought was not possible.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2016

Dr Pope has recently operated on two of my disks at the L4/L5 area. He had to cut away disk from one side of my spinal column and bone from the opposite side. My spinal cord was being strangled from both sides. The operation went extremely well and was up walking the next day, and out of hospital on the second day. I was amazed when Dr pope and his anaesthetist Dr Poon visited me three times over the two day stay to check on my progress. I cannot speak highly enough of the level of service from all concerned. Dr Pope and all the staff at the Mater where not only professional, but caring people as well. It is the best hospital I have ever stayed in. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

From my first consultation with Dr Pope, I had the greatest confidence and respect for him and the way in which he advised me of my condition and the way forward to my recovery. In short - I knew he was the physician to give me back the good health that I was seeking. I knew from my first meeting, I was in the best hands to solve my problem and I can only say a Big, Big Thank You to Dr Pope and his team - he gave me back good health and a happy future. Again, thank you Dr Pope and all your associates.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2016

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion