Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

I was very nervous before my spinal surgery but Dr Pope and all the staff at the Mater Hospital North Sydney made me feel very much at ease. I was operated on Thursday 12th October 2017, the surgery took 4 hours. Less than 48 hours after the surgery I was discharged from Hospital and went home, amazing considering the nature of the surgery. Thanks to Dr Pope and his team, all the staff at the Mater Hospital and in particular the nursing staff that looked after me. I was always in very safe hands Dave Ellis

flag | Submitted November 14, 2017

Dr Pope performed a spinal decompression and fusion with rods screws and bone graft on me three months ago , I cannot thank him enough as i had suffered cronic pain for 10 years .I am now pain free and feel like i have got my life back.I was dependant on pain medication to live and now i can live a normal life.I felt very confident going into surgery knowing i was at the hands of an excellent surgeon.Prior to surgery i struggled even to lean over to clean my teeth ,now i can live a normal life.Thankyou Dr Pope and your wonderful team.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

I had a ruptured disc at C7/T1 and was referred to Dr Pope for a surgical consult. He provided detailed information about the pros and cons of surgery including risks, offered options for second opinions and made me feel confident in his competence. I was quite sacred of spinal surgery but the presenting symptoms were very debilitating (despite them only being apparent for 6-7 weeks pre visit). I decided to have surgery and had a cervical decompression, cage graft fusion and internal fixation at The Mater, Nth Sydney. After waking up, the pre-op symptoms were gone. There was normal surgical site pain and reduced mobility but this was well managed with prescription medication and subsequent physiotherapy. I would highly recommend Dr Pope. He is an excellent surgeon, has a lovely patient rapport and is very informative. His surgical team were also very caring, including Dr Poon, the anaesthetist. His office staff are also very professional. I have been most impressed with the post op follow ups and look forward to full recovery and mobility as time passes. Thank you Dr Pope.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

Dr Pope performed a spinal decompression with rods screws and bone graft on me nine months ago,I would like to thank him for giving me back my life,thanks to Dr Pope i am now pain free ,my life was consumed with pain before i really didnt know how i was going to cope with life any more ,my mobility was deacreasing it was unbearable,i am now pain free .Thankyou Dr Pope

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Dr Raoul Pope has operated on me on two occasions. The result of the second (a much more extensive operation) is an ongoing event. I had an acute massive disc herniation with compression of my (R) 5th Lumbar nerve with compression of that nerve causing partial paralysis & complete foot drop in my (R) Leg. Dr Pope performed a partial laminectomy, discectomy, removal of an Arachnoid Cyst & decompression of the (R) L/5 nerve root exit canal. This operation was more difficult & more hazardous by virtue of scarring from my previous surgery in that area. Dr Pope came through with flying colours. I had rehab at Mt. Wilga (excellent). There has been gradual & significant improvement. I can now walk without a stick but still have a long way to go. I am more than happy with my progress & I am particularly grateful for Dr Pope's efforts & care. A/Prof COLIN CM MOORE. MB.BS,FRCS,FRACS,FACCS,FAMLC.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

Dr Pope is a genuine,caring,surgeon cannot rate his skills and his team enough from original meeting through till post op skype calls this man is a genius.Saved me from living on nerve and painkillers.....WELL DONE 😊

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

In Oct 2015 I was suffering with numbness in my ulna nerve and little finger plus part of my ring finger. The condition was a development of one I had for up to 15 years, but previously I was able to treat it with exercises & occasionally using anti-inflammatory medicine. I tried a cortisone under MRI near the spinal nerve in the region of C6/7 but it did not help. I became desperate once my hand & fingers began to lose strength. Dr Pope examined me and recommended an Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) at both C6/7 and C7/T1 levels. I must admit I was a little shocked at the proposed surgery, not ever having anything like this before. Together with my partner we checked other people who had similar operations, both directly and via ratemds.com (which was a great resource!). I also organised a second opinion with another notable neuro surgeon in Randwick. The operation was at the Mater on 22 Feb16 & I was out by the very next day ! I felt better immediately,.. amazing. However I still had some aches and discomfort at times for over 6 months. Its been over 14 months now and I am a new person, being able to do all the activities I did before the operation, such as gym work, cycling, swimming, dinghy sailing, bush walking, skiing, etc. I feel a little stiff in the neck region occasionally and loosen it up with good posture and small number of daily exercises, but that a very small price to pay. I can't say enough about Dr Pope, Dr Poon (the anaesthetist) & his support staff. He gave me my active life back. He has been very attentive and always professional in all his dealings with me. Thank you Dr Pope!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I had lumbar discetomy with Dr pope 2 weeks ago and it's the best I've felt in months, I had L5/S1 herniated disc compressing sciatic nerve S1 , which prevented me doing anything but small walks and swim, as I was in so much pain and lost feeling and strength in my left calf and foot. After months of conservative treatment improvements didn't seem to be happening so I had a consultation with dr pope on a Wednesday and had surgery that Friday, immediately after surgery I had no pain at all and that night I could sleep on my side which I couldn't do pre surgery. Everything thing that I have experienced is exactly what was explained to me, cannot thanks dr pope enough. Slowly regaining feeling and strength in calf and foot , walking 4kms a day and had my first slow 500m swim , still along way till I'm back cycling competitively, but I can't see the light. Dr poon the anaesthetist is brilliant as well .

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

I had a lumbar discectomy with Dr Pope 4 weeks ago and my life has changed!! I had a large herniated L5/S1 disc which was causing excruciating pain down my left leg... I was taking handfuls of meds just to get out of bed each morning. I was recommended Dr Pope by my long time physio, who said it was time to consider getting a surgical consultation to weigh up my options. Most people, like me, fear spinal surgery as the final and most risky option... but Dr Pope set my mind at ease straight away, giving kind and considered advice, explaining the procedure with the risks and benefits. I left feeling hopeful that this didn't need to be a huge risk at all but a routine procedure with massive life changing benefits and it was. I was booked in for surgery within a week, Linda was fantastic in the office, Dr Michael Poon the anesthetist was brilliant - calling me and texting me the days before surgery. The after surgery care has been great, 4 weeks later I'm feeling strong but still cautious and just happy to be living pain free. I'd say if you are nervous or having doubts... you are in incredible hands and I can't thank his team of talented Drs and the Mater hospital enough!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2017

Having surgery on my back was the very last thing I was ever going do but the sciatic pain was becoming quite a hindrance to my way of life. Dr Pope did not sugar coat the operation but calmly and confidently stated the likely outcome and because of his manner and his knowledge I decided to go ahead. It has been two weeks now and the original pain in my legs and lower back has disappeared. My surgery is still a little sore and stiff and activities are restricted at the moment but each day I notice more ease of movement and best of all no leg pain. Dr Poon was excellent as well and I had no after effects from the anaesthetic and no nausea. I am about to embark on Physio and light exercises and I am looking forward to walking along without pain. Thank you to all concerned with my operation and after care in the Mater hospital. I cannot fault any of it.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion