Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Just a note of thanks for giving my life back. 6 months of severe back and leg pain. Gone in a few weeks after keyhole spinal fusion and back working after 10 days. I am a new person and I am eternally grateful to Dr Pope for explaining it all so clearly and doing such a great job. He truly is the best.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2018

After 14 months of painful numbness in both arms and hands, an inability to drive for more than 30 minutes at a time, being unable to read for more than 15 minutes, extreme difficulty with regular daily tasks, (eg doing my hair, making the bed, washing up, hanging the washing), I finally found Dr Pope. I had seen two GPs; my regular one discounting the symptoms and the other putting my ailments down to stress. While undergoing physiotherapy, upon the sound advice of the therapist, I pushed my GP to give me a referral for a MRI. The outcome: discs impinging on the spinal cord. I did my own research, and after much debate, forced my GP to give me a referral to Dr Pope. His "tell it like it is" approach was exactly what I needed. He carefully explained, in layman's terms, what was wrong, what he believed should be done, all the possible outcomes with and without surgery, and finished with the advice that I may wish a second opinion. No sugar coated statements; professional to the core with confidence in his ability to give me back my life. I did not have private insurance but he assured me, that as a public patient , he would be present during my operation. I decided no, he was the surgeon for me, opting to be a self-funded patient at Concord hospital. I had an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion C4/5, C5/6 & C6/7. Estimated time for operation: up to 6 hours - took under 4 hours, was up and walking within 1 hour of being placed in the ward, estimated hospital stay: up to 3 days - discharged in less than 24 hours, estimated time off work: 2 to 6 weeks - back at work on the 8th day, end result after 3 months: arms and hands completely pain free, no physical limitations and a scar that is unnoticeable. I believe that my positive frame of mind, prior to the surgery, lent a hand in my recovery but even that was partially due to Dr Pope. His honesty, professionalism, ability and tangible love of what he does, made my positivism not hopeful, but realistic. In addition, his staff follow his lead, and are helpful, efficient and supportive. If you require a neurosurgeon, you need look no further than Dr Raoul Pope. I cannot thank him enough - I have my life back.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2018

This Specialist is the ultimate Professional. He is very punctual, he explains things in detail and he actually examines you which I found others did not. He made it easy for me to make my mind up about what I should do with my back and I chose him over another 2 inner city Neurosurgeons. I am so glad I did with my problem solved and working 2 weeks after the keyhole fusion. Have no doubt you are seeing the best when you make that appointment. You will see.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2018

I had a large disc slip in my neck causing unrelenting pain for 2 months. Nothing worked including steroid block. Dr Pope identified the problem that my physio could not fix and offered surgery. This went extremely well with complete reversal of all my pain and numbness. The fusion has not stiffened my neck and I’m back working fully after a week and off all my pain meds. This has been nothing short of a miracle for me and I am very happy I decided to have the surgery. Dr Pope is reliable and honest and I highly rate him. Thank you.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

Just extremely grateful to have such a good outcome from my surgery. Everything was just as Dr Pope explained and his candid professional manner was welcomed. I had an L4/5 fusion with GPS computer guidance and under CT scanning and was home the next day to the Southern Highlands. Even he was surprised but we were both happy with the outcome and I’m sensible with my recovery. Working a week later and off all pain meds. Dr Pope is the best in his field. No question.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2018

An excellent doctor - knows his stuff without being rude. Produces better than anticipated results. Methodical in his analysis, specific in his description of the work to be done, considerate and reliable in immediate post-op follow-up. Importantly, approchable in discussions and good availability. His letters to the GPs are detailed and usually within 24-48 hrs. The fees were in line with other quotes so not excessive. Well worth seeing him and his team.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

Dr Pope goes out of his way to get to the bottom of the problem. He explains it all clearly and expertly. My neck pain with arm pain was not improving with Physio and drugs and injections and I was losing income from not working normal hours. The surgery Dr Pope did was a double fusion from the front and I am amazed at the result. I’m pain free and back at work fully after a few weeks. Surgery was at the Mater and the overnight stay was great. I could not be happier and rate Dr Pope highly. I had seen a few other surgeons but Dr Pope was patient and never rushed me into making a decision.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2018

Thank you for looking after public patients. I am uninsured and finding a neurosurgeon who sees you privately is hard. I can now get the operation I need and all thanks to docs like you who give everyone a fair go. I know it won’t be you doing all the surgery. I get that. But at least I’m going to get some of my life back. I know I will come out a new man and get rid of some of this pain. Thank you Dr Pope.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2018

I’m a patient who has just had my neck fusion over 3 levels and I am feeling so good. The operation was a long time coming after trying many other things but I felt safe with Dr Pope. He took his time to educate me and it was obvious that surgery made more sense to do rather than not. I will be going home later today and I am so looking forward to having my life back and getting off these drugs. His team were superb and his secretaries very thorough. No hidden costs and he is confident in his abilities and it has shown. What a great journey and he just makes it so clear for you to see. Go see him if you were like me, scared and confused. He will help.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2018

Six weeks ago I had a laminectomy and partial discetomy at the Mater, and I am extremely grateful to Dr Pope for his surgical expertise and professionalism. I am now pain free and drug free after 7 months of limited mobility and pain. I live in the Central Tablelands of NSW and came to Sydney for a second opinion. Dr Pope carefully explained my options, answered all my questions and allowed me to make an informed decision without applying pressure. Telephone conferencing prior to surgery allowed me to be well-informed and prepared for the surgery. The follow up teleconference calls were very supportive and saved me (and my recovering back) from travelling for an 8 hour round trip for check up appointments. I can thoroughly recommend this approach to accessing skilled specialists that are not available in regional NSW. Linda was equally efficient and the nursing staff at the Mater were very caring and able to explain what they were doing and why. My sincere thanks to a great team.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2018

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion