Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

First of all I want to start with a big thank you to Dr pope and him team. It's been a year today since I had my back surgery (T12-L2 Laminectomy and 6Cm Spinal Tumour removed) performed by Dr Pope. Pretty much after the surgery all the nerve pain was gone. Had a quick and painless recovery after the surgery. I am glad that I travelled 2700kms from Cairns to Sydney to have this surgery by him. He is so friendly, punctual, professional and last best at his job. I can't thank him enough. May God bless him all the time, so he can do the great job for many more years. I would also like to thank Dr Poon. He's treatment plan during the surgery and after the surgery was amazing. I wake up pain free. It was like a miracle. Lucky to have a anaesthetist like him. Thank you again Dr pope and your team. See you in the future. Kind Regards Iffy

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

As a surgeon Dr Pope is meticulous & very experienced. His manner however is arrogant, his communication is belittling and delivered in a calm, condescending manner. He does not listen, jumps to assumptions about you & doesnt like being asked questions or suggestions that may differ from his. Once you've had surgery, don't expect much after care or concern if you're still experiencing pain. Its not his problem and he will palm you off to other doctors.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

I have only one word to describe my outcome after neuro/spinal surgery from Dr Pope and his team and that is it was a MIRACLE. I was suffering for 12 months with debilitating nerve and back pain. I now stand straight and walking without any pain. I would recommend Dr Pope to any one. I would also like to thank Dr Poon, the Mater Hospital and the amazing nurses. Thank you Lee Hughes

flag | Submitted April 4, 2018

Amazing result after nearly 6 years of sciatic pain. Travelled from interstate to see Dr Pope who offered a laminectomy on L4/5 and partial L3. This surgery was done at the Mater hospital, Sydney on 12th January 2018 . I was up walking a few hours after the surgery and spent 3 nights in hospital with excellent 24/7 care from the nursing staff. 2 days after discharge I travelled home. I was very nervous about my decision to have spinal surgery (who isn't) but Dr Pope gave me the confidence to go ahead. Best outcome I could have hoped for. A special thanks also to Dr Poon. If you are reading this, in pain and thinking of surgery please, contact Dr Pope for at least a consultation. I would not hesitate recommending Dr Pope and his Team. Thank you all.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

Very happy with the service. Excellent result from the lower back fusion after 2 months and doing all normal things. Extremely professional, realistic and great team around him. He is the man to see.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

I was very nervous before my spinal surgery but Dr Pope and all the staff at the Mater Hospital North Sydney made me feel very much at ease. I was operated on Thursday 12th October 2017, the surgery took 4 hours. Less than 48 hours after the surgery I was discharged from Hospital and went home, amazing considering the nature of the surgery. Thanks to Dr Pope and his team, all the staff at the Mater Hospital and in particular the nursing staff that looked after me. I was always in very safe hands Dave Ellis

flag | Submitted November 14, 2017

Dr Pope performed a spinal decompression and fusion with rods screws and bone graft on me three months ago , I cannot thank him enough as i had suffered cronic pain for 10 years .I am now pain free and feel like i have got my life back.I was dependant on pain medication to live and now i can live a normal life.I felt very confident going into surgery knowing i was at the hands of an excellent surgeon.Prior to surgery i struggled even to lean over to clean my teeth ,now i can live a normal life.Thankyou Dr Pope and your wonderful team.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

I had a ruptured disc at C7/T1 and was referred to Dr Pope for a surgical consult. He provided detailed information about the pros and cons of surgery including risks, offered options for second opinions and made me feel confident in his competence. I was quite sacred of spinal surgery but the presenting symptoms were very debilitating (despite them only being apparent for 6-7 weeks pre visit). I decided to have surgery and had a cervical decompression, cage graft fusion and internal fixation at The Mater, Nth Sydney. After waking up, the pre-op symptoms were gone. There was normal surgical site pain and reduced mobility but this was well managed with prescription medication and subsequent physiotherapy. I would highly recommend Dr Pope. He is an excellent surgeon, has a lovely patient rapport and is very informative. His surgical team were also very caring, including Dr Poon, the anaesthetist. His office staff are also very professional. I have been most impressed with the post op follow ups and look forward to full recovery and mobility as time passes. Thank you Dr Pope.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

Dr Pope performed a spinal decompression with rods screws and bone graft on me nine months ago,I would like to thank him for giving me back my life,thanks to Dr Pope i am now pain free ,my life was consumed with pain before i really didnt know how i was going to cope with life any more ,my mobility was deacreasing it was unbearable,i am now pain free .Thankyou Dr Pope

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Dr Raoul Pope has operated on me on two occasions. The result of the second (a much more extensive operation) is an ongoing event. I had an acute massive disc herniation with compression of my (R) 5th Lumbar nerve with compression of that nerve causing partial paralysis & complete foot drop in my (R) Leg. Dr Pope performed a partial laminectomy, discectomy, removal of an Arachnoid Cyst & decompression of the (R) L/5 nerve root exit canal. This operation was more difficult & more hazardous by virtue of scarring from my previous surgery in that area. Dr Pope came through with flying colours. I had rehab at Mt. Wilga (excellent). There has been gradual & significant improvement. I can now walk without a stick but still have a long way to go. I am more than happy with my progress & I am particularly grateful for Dr Pope's efforts & care. A/Prof COLIN CM MOORE. MB.BS,FRCS,FRACS,FACCS,FAMLC.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion