Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

I had a large disc slip in my neck causing unrelenting pain for 2 months. Nothing worked including steroid block. Dr Pope identified the problem that my physio could not fix and offered surgery. This went extremely well with complete reversal of all my pain and numbness. The fusion has not stiffened my neck and I’m back working fully after a week and off all my pain meds. This has been nothing short of a miracle for me and I am very happy I decided to have the surgery. Dr Pope is reliable and honest and I highly rate him. Thank you.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

Just extremely grateful to have such a good outcome from my surgery. Everything was just as Dr Pope explained and his candid professional manner was welcomed. I had an L4/5 fusion with GPS computer guidance and under CT scanning and was home the next day to the Southern Highlands. Even he was surprised but we were both happy with the outcome and I’m sensible with my recovery. Working a week later and off all pain meds. Dr Pope is the best in his field. No question.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2018

An excellent doctor - knows his stuff without being rude. Produces better than anticipated results. Methodical in his analysis, specific in his description of the work to be done, considerate and reliable in immediate post-op follow-up. Importantly, approchable in discussions and good availability. His letters to the GPs are detailed and usually within 24-48 hrs. The fees were in line with other quotes so not excessive. Well worth seeing him and his team.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

Dr Pope goes out of his way to get to the bottom of the problem. He explains it all clearly and expertly. My neck pain with arm pain was not improving with Physio and drugs and injections and I was losing income from not working normal hours. The surgery Dr Pope did was a double fusion from the front and I am amazed at the result. I’m pain free and back at work fully after a few weeks. Surgery was at the Mater and the overnight stay was great. I could not be happier and rate Dr Pope highly. I had seen a few other surgeons but Dr Pope was patient and never rushed me into making a decision.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2018

Thank you for looking after public patients. I am uninsured and finding a neurosurgeon who sees you privately is hard. I can now get the operation I need and all thanks to docs like you who give everyone a fair go. I know it won’t be you doing all the surgery. I get that. But at least I’m going to get some of my life back. I know I will come out a new man and get rid of some of this pain. Thank you Dr Pope.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2018

I’m a patient who has just had my neck fusion over 3 levels and I am feeling so good. The operation was a long time coming after trying many other things but I felt safe with Dr Pope. He took his time to educate me and it was obvious that surgery made more sense to do rather than not. I will be going home later today and I am so looking forward to having my life back and getting off these drugs. His team were superb and his secretaries very thorough. No hidden costs and he is confident in his abilities and it has shown. What a great journey and he just makes it so clear for you to see. Go see him if you were like me, scared and confused. He will help.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2018

Six weeks ago I had a laminectomy and partial discetomy at the Mater, and I am extremely grateful to Dr Pope for his surgical expertise and professionalism. I am now pain free and drug free after 7 months of limited mobility and pain. I live in the Central Tablelands of NSW and came to Sydney for a second opinion. Dr Pope carefully explained my options, answered all my questions and allowed me to make an informed decision without applying pressure. Telephone conferencing prior to surgery allowed me to be well-informed and prepared for the surgery. The follow up teleconference calls were very supportive and saved me (and my recovering back) from travelling for an 8 hour round trip for check up appointments. I can thoroughly recommend this approach to accessing skilled specialists that are not available in regional NSW. Linda was equally efficient and the nursing staff at the Mater were very caring and able to explain what they were doing and why. My sincere thanks to a great team.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2018

My experience with Dr Pope was satisfying and informative. I had bad back pain for years and was not getting far with my GP and Physio. Even though surgery was not really an option, Dr Pope went through a lot of alternatives that he felt could help me. That was refreshing and I got some tests and contacts to further me along this journey. Staff were efficient and the communication via email was great. The GP got the letter within a day! Recommend seeing Dr Pope if you need honest advice without the hard-sell of Surgery.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

As a country patient, I did not have the same opportunities afforded to me if I lived in Sydney. Dr Pope does Skype appointments and it saved me heaps on convenience and time. His team are professional and everything was clearly outlined. Quotes were provided and there were no surprises. My problem was resolved expertly and in quick time and I never felt pressured. I’m just glad there are people like Dr Pope who goes the extra mile and make it accessible for country folk in the Southern Highlands. Go see this surgeon as he knows what he is doing and if you need the best.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2018

I was in so much pain from leg nerve trapped and back pain. Needed so many drugs and nothing else worked. Saw Dr Pope and he spotted what was wrong and said he could fix it and he was true to his word. I was out of hospital 2 days after the op with screws and rods and I feel great. Back living life without pain drugs and so greatful. He is someone you can count on. Thank you Dr Pope!

flag | Submitted July 8, 2018

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion