Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

Times were tough with the back and leg burning pain I had for 3 months. Nothing was working and I quit the physio and sports specialist. 3 visits with Dr Pope and he had worked out my problem, run some tests to prove it and finally performed an operation with cage, screws and rods which got me back to normal. I'm back at work, off all pain meds and happier than a pig in mud. It wasn't an easy decision to make but I'm so glad I did. Dr Pope is so trustworthy and you always feel he has your back ( no pun intended!) He is the top of his field

flag | Submitted September 1, 2019

I was suffering with severe under arm & shoulder pain, as well as tingling & numbness in my left hand, which was all connected to discs in my neck. As the nerves were pinched, the most frightening thing was that I was losing strength in my hand. Dr Pope explored all avenues before recommending surgery, as it was quite a major operation - cervical discectomy & fusion on 3 levels. C5/C6, C6/C7, and C7/T1. I decided to go ahead as the likelihood of permanent damage of the nerves was increasing the longer I waited. I am very happy with the results. 6 weeks after surgery, I am exercising every day & back at the gym. Pain has pretty much gone, and the strength in my hand is improving a little more every day. Dr Pope encouraged me to exercise & get back to normal as quickly as possible, and his skill as a surgeon has allowed me to do that. I cannot thank Dr Pope enough for everything, and would not hesitate to highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2019

I had a large disc slip in my low back at L5/S1 and unbearable leg pain for weeks. Dr Pope came highly recommended and I'd already seen 2 other spine specialists. Dr Popes opinion was thorough and measured and I could understand what he was talking about and he made it really simple for me to choose what to do. Even though all the drs advised surgery and it involved a fusion, I understood Dr Pope and he seemed the most trustworthy. So happy I went through with the op. I'm back to normal and pain free and drug free. He is realistic and he seemed to genuinely care. I'm very happy and I tell everyone who needs a Neuro to see him.🙂

flag | Submitted July 30, 2019

Dr Pope is a genius, was flat on my back for 7 weeks and was able to sit straight after surgery and continue to progress well 2 months post surgery!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2019

I'm a changed person for better since having my neck op done. Years of pain in arms and neck and nothing helped. I was not a normal person for my young age and I was losing hope. Dr Pope carefully worked out my problem. He suggested options that I could then decide on. I chose surgery for 2 levels and my recovery has been just as he said it would. He's straight shooter and you can trust him. I'm happy that he listened and he helped.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2019

I'm so happy I saw Dr Pope for my neck problem. He made sure I had a definite surgical issue and knew I had failed all other options. He said what operations could be done and chose the best one which I agreed with and he did it smoothly and with such little stress. I left hospital the next day and my arm and neck pain is much better. He is a pro and he treats you like an adult but also makes sure you are fully prepared and sure. Thank you Dr Pope

flag | Submitted July 1, 2019

Dr Pope performed a spinal decompression and fusion with rods screws and bone graft on me three months ago , I cannot thank him enough as i had suffered cronic pain for 10 years .I am now pain free and feel like i have got my life back.I was dependant on pain medication to live and now i can live a normal life.I felt very confident going into surgery knowing i was at the hands of an excellent surgeon.Prior to surgery i struggled even to lean over to clean my teeth ,now i can live a normal life.Thankyou Dr Pope and your wonderful team.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2019

I had been experiencing chronic leg pain due to a lower back injury for 10 months and had tried every type of treatment available to me in the country town I live in. Nothing was giving me relief so I decided to find a Neurosurgeon and came across Dr Pope. I was very nervous about having back surgery but as Dr Pope felt there was an 80% chance that a discectomy would solve my problem, I agreed to the surgery. Two weeks later, I am completely pain free and couldn't be happier. So, apart from Dr Pope being an amazing surgeon, he is the nicest bloke, so kind and informative. He has completely changed my life for that I thank him immensely.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2019

We were told about Dr Pope by other patients in our town. Got a Skype appointment within a week and was having surgery within 2 weeks. He knows how to treat a patient with skill and care. Couldn’t be happier that my back and leg pain are gone and he did what he said he would. All fixed.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2019

I saw Dr Pope for a lower back problem. He was on the ball and sorted the issues with an op. He gave me time to consider other options but I was getting worse and he could find time to do my case in a timely manner. Good communication. Great staff. He knows how to do his job. Very simple recovery with good advice.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2019

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion