Dr. Raoul Pope

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

My experience with Dr Pope was satisfying and informative. I had bad back pain for years and was not getting far with my GP and Physio. Even though surgery was not really an option, Dr Pope went through a lot of alternatives that he felt could help me. That was refreshing and I got some tests and contacts to further me along this journey. Staff were efficient and the communication via email was great. The GP got the letter within a day! Recommend seeing Dr Pope if you need honest advice without the hard-sell of Surgery.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

As a country patient, I did not have the same opportunities afforded to me if I lived in Sydney. Dr Pope does Skype appointments and it saved me heaps on convenience and time. His team are professional and everything was clearly outlined. Quotes were provided and there were no surprises. My problem was resolved expertly and in quick time and I never felt pressured. I’m just glad there are people like Dr Pope who goes the extra mile and make it accessible for country folk in the Southern Highlands. Go see this surgeon as he knows what he is doing and if you need the best.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2018

I was in so much pain from leg nerve trapped and back pain. Needed so many drugs and nothing else worked. Saw Dr Pope and he spotted what was wrong and said he could fix it and he was true to his word. I was out of hospital 2 days after the op with screws and rods and I feel great. Back living life without pain drugs and so greatful. He is someone you can count on. Thank you Dr Pope!

flag | Submitted July 8, 2018

Having had a few opinions from other surgeons, I found Dr Pope to be thorough and clear in his explanations. He doesn’t leave you without any options and gives you choices. The surgery for my lumbar fusion went well and I am happy with my ability to live a great life. Before I was really bad with pain and weakness. His staff were great and overall I am very happy with his skills and manner. Very trustworthy. Compare him to others and see for yourself.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2018

Both Linda (Secretary) and Dr Pope are one of the most professional and helpful duo I have encountered for a long time, both so excellent at their professions. I would strongly reccomend seeing Dr Pope if he is the specialist in your field of injury. Thank you Dr Pope and Linda

flag | Submitted May 25, 2018

I thank god for putting me in the hands of an amazing Dr . I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart Dr Pope . I came to your surgery refered by my treating family Dr, I was in dispaear and in complete agony I couldn’t walk stand sit Or drive and the sciatica was disabling me it was extreme pain 24/7 all this was to my work injury. lower back L5 S1 . Dr Pope is professional and put my heart at ease and always had my best interest at heart ,he is caring ,we tired to avoid surgery and put me in a rehab programme to strengthen the core and muscle that I had lost ,but was unlucky as symptoms got worse . Then the surgery was no option it had to be done urgently .I am now three weeks and it’s been amazing recovery . I still have a fairway to go but in saying that I am able to drive ,and sit and stand and walk and have full control of my bowels amd bladder . He saved my life my ability to function as a women and to be with my family. I will continue to see him and be guided with what treatments I need for the future . Dr Pope’s team was amazing his receptionist are wonderful women and helpful . My surgery was done at Concord Hospital as a public patient on Medicare as the insurance has denied me surgery even with all clinical notes . It’s about money for them . But as I said Dr Pope put me first and helped me with my surgery physically and mentally I owe him many prayer and god bless you Dr Pope . Many thanks .

flag | Submitted May 9, 2018

Before I say anything I want to tell you that you are an EXTRAORDINARY Doctor. I want to thank you and your Great team from the bottom of my heart for the warmth with which you treated me to good health. Its been three months since I had my C6/7 disc herniation surgery due to motor vehicle accident on 5 November 2017. I was the driver restrained about to turn right on a green arrow, when a car came out of a petrol station crossing a few lanes of traffic in the opposite direction and T-boned into his vehicle. There was no way that I could’ve avoided him, the both airbags deployed at the front and at that time my daughter was the passenger. She was in a state of shock. Ambulance, police and fire trucks arrived at the scene and the car has subsequently been written off. I did not go to the hospital initially but went the next day because of increasing symptoms. neck pain going into trapezius and the shoulder, triceps, posterior forearm into the ring and little finger which caused numbness and weakness. After the accident, I had difficulty drying myself with a towel, using the computer, driving the new vehicle and difficulty sleeping. I contacted Schreuder’s lawyers and got Ben Bourke involved in this matter, he took on this case with no hesitation and acted immediately. what can I say about Ben!! He is an Angel a God sent to me, Ben has been my rock throughout this process and persisted in liaising with the insurance company for the best outcome for me. This surgery was done at the Mater hospital, Sydney on 1st of Feb 2018 . I spent 4 nights at the hospital with excellent 24/7 care, the Nurses were AMAZING!!!!!. To whom ever is reading this, please please don’t give up and never loose hope, I was Blessed with the Great Dr Pope and his Team and Ben Bourke from Schreuder’s lawyers without them I would still be fighting for my life back on track Thank you so much again and May God bless you Doctor Pope

flag | Submitted May 2, 2018

First of all I want to start with a big thank you to Dr pope and him team. It's been a year today since I had my back surgery (T12-L2 Laminectomy and 6Cm Spinal Tumour removed) performed by Dr Pope. Pretty much after the surgery all the nerve pain was gone. Had a quick and painless recovery after the surgery. I am glad that I travelled 2700kms from Cairns to Sydney to have this surgery by him. He is so friendly, punctual, professional and last best at his job. I can't thank him enough. May God bless him all the time, so he can do the great job for many more years. I would also like to thank Dr Poon. He's treatment plan during the surgery and after the surgery was amazing. I wake up pain free. It was like a miracle. Lucky to have a anaesthetist like him. Thank you again Dr pope and your team. See you in the future. Kind Regards Iffy

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

As a surgeon Dr Pope is meticulous & very experienced. His manner however is arrogant, his communication is belittling and delivered in a calm, condescending manner. He does not listen, jumps to assumptions about you & doesnt like being asked questions or suggestions that may differ from his. Once you've had surgery, don't expect much after care or concern if you're still experiencing pain. Its not his problem and he will palm you off to other doctors.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

I have only one word to describe my outcome after neuro/spinal surgery from Dr Pope and his team and that is it was a MIRACLE. I was suffering for 12 months with debilitating nerve and back pain. I now stand straight and walking without any pain. I would recommend Dr Pope to any one. I would also like to thank Dr Poon, the Mater Hospital and the amazing nurses. Thank you Lee Hughes

flag | Submitted April 4, 2018

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion