Ratings for Dr. Raoul Pope

In Oct 2015 I was suffering with numbness in my ulna nerve and little finger plus part of my ring finger. The condition was a development of one I had for up to 15 years, but previously I was able to treat it with exercises & occasionally using anti-inflammatory medicine. I tried a cortisone under MRI near the spinal nerve in the region of C6/7 but it did not help. I became desperate once my hand & fingers began to lose strength. Dr Pope examined me and recommended an Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) at both C6/7 and C7/T1 levels. I must admit I was a little shocked at the proposed surgery, not ever having anything like this before. Together with my partner we checked other people who had similar operations, both directly and via ratemds.com (which was a great resource!). I also organised a second opinion with another notable neuro surgeon in Randwick. The operation was at the Mater on 22 Feb16 & I was out by the very next day ! I felt better immediately,.. amazing. However I still had some aches and discomfort at times for over 6 months. Its been over 14 months now and I am a new person, being able to do all the activities I did before the operation, such as gym work, cycling, swimming, dinghy sailing, bush walking, skiing, etc. I feel a little stiff in the neck region occasionally and loosen it up with good posture and small number of daily exercises, but that a very small price to pay. I can't say enough about Dr Pope, Dr Poon (the anaesthetist) & his support staff. He gave me my active life back. He has been very attentive and always professional in all his dealings with me. Thank you Dr Pope!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I had lumbar discetomy with Dr pope 2 weeks ago and it's the best I've felt in months, I had L5/S1 herniated disc compressing sciatic nerve S1 , which prevented me doing anything but small walks and swim, as I was in so much pain and lost feeling and strength in my left calf and foot. After months of conservative treatment improvements didn't seem to be happening so I had a consultation with dr pope on a Wednesday and had surgery that Friday, immediately after surgery I had no pain at all and that night I could sleep on my side which I couldn't do pre surgery. Everything thing that I have experienced is exactly what was explained to me, cannot thanks dr pope enough. Slowly regaining feeling and strength in calf and foot , walking 4kms a day and had my first slow 500m swim , still along way till I'm back cycling competitively, but I can't see the light. Dr poon the anaesthetist is brilliant as well .

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

I had a lumbar discectomy with Dr Pope 4 weeks ago and my life has changed!! I had a large herniated L5/S1 disc which was causing excruciating pain down my left leg... I was taking handfuls of meds just to get out of bed each morning. I was recommended Dr Pope by my long time physio, who said it was time to consider getting a surgical consultation to weigh up my options. Most people, like me, fear spinal surgery as the final and most risky option... but Dr Pope set my mind at ease straight away, giving kind and considered advice, explaining the procedure with the risks and benefits. I left feeling hopeful that this didn't need to be a huge risk at all but a routine procedure with massive life changing benefits and it was. I was booked in for surgery within a week, Linda was fantastic in the office, Dr Michael Poon the anesthetist was brilliant - calling me and texting me the days before surgery. The after surgery care has been great, 4 weeks later I'm feeling strong but still cautious and just happy to be living pain free. I'd say if you are nervous or having doubts... you are in incredible hands and I can't thank his team of talented Drs and the Mater hospital enough!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2017

Having surgery on my back was the very last thing I was ever going do but the sciatic pain was becoming quite a hindrance to my way of life. Dr Pope did not sugar coat the operation but calmly and confidently stated the likely outcome and because of his manner and his knowledge I decided to go ahead. It has been two weeks now and the original pain in my legs and lower back has disappeared. My surgery is still a little sore and stiff and activities are restricted at the moment but each day I notice more ease of movement and best of all no leg pain. Dr Poon was excellent as well and I had no after effects from the anaesthetic and no nausea. I am about to embark on Physio and light exercises and I am looking forward to walking along without pain. Thank you to all concerned with my operation and after care in the Mater hospital. I cannot fault any of it.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

I saw Dr Pope for a large disc herniation on L5 S1 that caused excruciating sciatic pain down my left leg. After months of pain and feeling miserable, I finally decided to look into surgery as all conservative treatments weren't working and the MRI showed a big prolapse. I felt immediately reassured by Dr Pope's way of explaining things and talking. He was calm and confident and said that the only way I'd get my life back would be through a lumbar discectomy. Even though spinal surgery felt like the scariest thing on earth, I decided to go for it. I would never look back. It's been 3 months now and I'm leading a normal life, going to work, long walks, swimming, playing again with my 4yo son, enjoying time off with friends. Recovery has been a bit uncomfortable and I was constantly worried of doing something wrong. In a way I still am, but I'm doing physio and daily exercises to get strong again. It's a process, but it was more than worth it for me. Also Linda in the office has been amazing at trying to accommodate my requests and the anaesthetist Michael Poon has been great with his cheerful attitude (and his drugs!) at making me feel calmer just before surgery. Thank you

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

highly skilled, effective, communicative Michael Poon a terrific anaesthetist. Great office staff

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

I have had ongoing Cervical Disc issues for over 10 years. I was initially hesitant to look at surgery as the general consensus was "don't go down that path" so I tried all other treatments including physio, chiro which for the first few years helped but in the last 12 months my disc deteriorated until my condition became unbearable. I finally went to see a Neurosurgoen, Dr Pope and I agreed to have surgery and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. The pain was instantly better post op and admittedly my neck was stiff and sore for a little while which required some physio but I have more of a normal life now then I had pre-surgery trying to "manage the pain' as opposed to fixing it. I have great movement in my neck, and I wish I had done this sooner. I strongly advise anyone with cervical disc issues to consider this procedure. Dr Pope and his team were fantastic!

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

All the staff was very helpful especially Linda and DR Pope is very helpful and easy to talk too.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

Visited dr before for my pituitary tumor, I found he is reasonable, young but seems knowing his stuff. I found he is be rude or doesn't seem care much, kind of talking down and wondering why I was there for, should have seen endocrinologist first... don't take this wrong, he probably has thousands other more serious patients everyday waiting for operation, I don't know. Overall not quite comfortable with this dr.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

L5/S1 Fusion April 2016. Very pleased with the care I have received from Dr Pope. Chronic, debilitating sciatic pain for years prior to finally landing at his desk looking down the barrel of surgery. I was attracted by the minimally invasive technique he uses (this worked well for me I think but with no basis for comparison it's hard to definitively say). Post-op recovery was as expected e.g. slow and uncomfortable, however i steadily improved from surgery through until about 6-8 weeks when I began to feel somewhat 'normal' again. 6 months post now and feeling great after competing in a triathlon 3 days ago. I'm from a rural area about 3 hours drive from Sydney, Dr Pope has conducted my last 3 check-ups via Skype which is of enormous benefit to me in both convenience and cost. No regrets whatsoever in putting myself in his hands. I recommend highly. Also Dr Poon (anesthetist) was a very welcome addition to the team, cracking jokes before very efficiently knocking me out.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016

Dr. Raoul Pope's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Neurosurgeon, Dr Raoul Pope was New Zealand born and educated, and has earned a Neurosurgical Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow in advanced spinal surgery at the prestigious Foothills Medical Center in Alberta, Canada. Dr Pope operates in all areas of adult Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery with a Specialist expertise in Spinal disorders. He is an Adjunct Clinical Senior Lecturer in Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery at the School of Medicine Sydney Campus, University of Notre Dame Australia. He consults from his rooms in North Sydney and Burwood and Operates at The Mater Sydney Private Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr Pope has been appointed Head of Department of Neurosurgery at the Mater Private Hospital as of June 2013 and spearheads a high calibre team of dedicated Neurosurgeons.

• English

• Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences University of Otago (Grad. 1996)
  • University of Otago (Grad. 1993)
  • University of Calgary (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Notre Dame Australia (Grad. 2011)

• Spinal fusion