Ratings for Dr. Thierry Mesana

I traveled from Winnipeg for a valve repair operation by Dr. Mesana, and I'm so grateful he was able to perform this surgery for me. Not only is he an excellent surgeon who was able to fully repair my "tattered" valve (thereby avoiding a valve replacement), but his patient-doctor interaction with me before and after the surgery was exceptional. Before the surgery, he met with me and explained things in a way that left me feeling in very good and caring hands. He interacted in a way that communicated genuine interest and concern for me as a person. Then after the surgery, his manner was exactly the same as he visited in ICU and on the ward and in a later appointment to check up on me and to explain how the surgery went. I'm so thankful to have had such a caring and capable heart surgeon as Dr. Mesana.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2016

I have had two procedures at the UOHI. I can’t say I know how surgeons are assigned, but I was lucky enough to have Dr. Mesana for both operations. Given his position in the organization, I was alway impressed at how many times I saw him and and how he took the time needed to help me understand the complexity of what was done and the post surgery treatments. If I asked a question, I got a detailed explanation that was understandable. My first operation and recovery was so smooth that it was hard to gauge just how good the UOHI team was. My second operation, and especially the recovery, has been where it has been easy to see why the UOHI is rated world class. Nothing has gone according to plan, yet there is always alternatives and tactics to get back on track. The number of specialists (medicine, psychiatrists, GI, wound care, nephrology, etc.) and really good nurses, seems limitless. Being a resident of Ottawa gives me a privilege of access to the UOHI however during my stay in hospital I met patients from all parts of Canada. What’s most fascinating is that no matter who you talk to in the hallway and ask who there surgeon or doctor is, it always comes with “one of the best” or “top professional in the field” or “fantastic doctor”. I would say look at the leader (Dr. Mesana) and you pretty much get a good picture of the entire organization, end-to end.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

Dr. Mesana and his team are nothing short of world class. Anyone that has or has had Dr Mesana as their surgeon should consider themselves part of a small lucky group. Dr Mesana is amongst the very top valve surgeons in the world and we are very lucky to have him here in Canada. I've had one heart surgery performed by him and the level of care I received from Dr Mesana and the team at the heart institute was second to none. If I were to search for a surgeon today he'd be top of my list.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Good surgeon and an overall great team at the HI. Nurses, physio, ICU staff were all fabulous. I had a few issues afterwards. Unfortunately, he was away during that time. I guess to be expected.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

Dr. Mesana operated on my five years ago and successfully rebuilt my mitral valve. I have made a full recovery and appreciate more every day the great work that he and his team carried out on me! Sandy

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

Dr. Mesana is not only the best surgeon but he is also the kindest and most understanding person.. He has such patience with people. Dr. Mesana has operated on me twice and each time was successful. He always made me feel very secure and without worry. You are the very best. Thank you so much Dr. Mesana

flag | Submitted October 20, 2014

My husband was first brought in to the Gatineau emergency for sceptic choc, but the infection spread and he developed a heart valve infection (endocarditis) and his condition became even worse. He was transferred to the Hull ICU heart unit where they said they couldn't operate and unless his valve was replaced, he wouldn't survive the night. They called the Montreal Heart Institute who also refused my husband since he was too unstable for the 3 hrs ambulance transfer. Dr Mesana was called at the Ottawa Heart Institute, thank goodness he was on call. He saved my husband's life, he operated the valve that night. He was the only heart surgeon on staff at the Ottawa Institute who was willing to replace the valve, while the other surgeon's said my husband would die on the operating table. That was last year 2012. This year, we just celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary. God Bless you Dr Mesana.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2013

Dr Mesana is not only and amazing surgeon, but also a gentelman and a noble person. He cares for his patients and has a gift for bedside manners and reassuring hope for the patients relatives.I hope there would be more Mesanas in the worls!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Mesana , not only are you the best in your field, you are truly a gentleman. You care for the people and you do everything you can to help and save lives. You saved my life and gave me a second chance. Ottawa is very lucky to have you and we hope you will lead this institution to bigger and brighter things. Thank you again. You are truly the best!

flag | Submitted April 25, 2013

In June 2007 Dr. Messana Operated on me to hopefully repair my Mitral Valve. 5 Hours on the Operating Table, I know if it would not have been for his knowledge, expertise and kind heart, the outcome would have differed. The outcome was a success. Thank you also for We are now sitting March 2013 and my heart has been great. I was back playing hockey 4 months after the surgery...not that I recommend this to everyone :) No complications. Excellent staff, knowledgeable at the Heart Ottawa Institute. Thank you Thierry and thank you Leagh. Not an easy experience to live through, however Dr. Messana has made this a routine matter. Thank you.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2013