Ratings for Dr. Darren Nielson

Extremely rude and dismissive, terrible bedside manner. Should probably try to at least pretend he cares, might help.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

Had to go in to emergency on a Sunday night. Thought I was dying, possible appendicitis. Agree that the admissions procedure and general ambience there is not comforting or inviting. This is likely a government funding problem more than a staff problem, but all we get to see are the staff who live under these constraints. It seems rushed or overwhelmed, and I agree that it appears most of the staff need a holiday, a job change or time off. They seem irritated and bothered. I waited about 20 to maybe 30 mins. to be ushered into a hallway bed. About 20 minutes after that, Dr. Neilson saw me. I do understand the comments here that others have made; yes, I think his bedside manner and demeanor could be improved. However, he instantly and correctly diagnosed my pain as an inguinal hernia; this was missed by two other doctors, my primary care physician 3 months before and a Medicentre physician 2 days before. ( Admittedly, easier to diagnose when it's coming through, but, still - no one else even considered a hernia as a possibility ). He pushed it back into place - that hurt! - but he told me to try to stifle myself and it would instantly stop hurting. And he was correct! 5 to 10 seconds of pain and then....NOTHING. Pain stopped immediately. Advised me I would need a booked surgical repair, as this was not serious enough to warrant emergency surgery - taught me how to push the hernia back in myself correctly - and even got me a referral to a surgeon that came in the mail in a few days. He`s no nonsense and doesn`t say much - and I guess that`s why he gets weak reviews - but in my case, he was 100% ok with me. I get where he is coming from and he got me fixed up and pain free immediately with a correct diagnosis. Honestly, can`t ask for much better than that.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2017

This guy is pretty obviously burnt out because he has zero bedside manner. I don't think I've ever been treated so poorly by a physician.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2017

This doctor needs to improve his bedside manner. He shows a lack of compassion and care for his patients. He seems to spend a lot of time socializing with the nurses.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

All these complaints need to be taken forth with the college of physicians and surgeon's!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Visited ER at the Misericordia yesterday. Dr.mdidnt even introduce himself and seemed uninterested. When he came to give me my results of testing, he seemed to change and even sat down to chat. All in all, ok.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2015

I went to Grey Nuns ER this morning and Dr. Neilson was uninterested, dismissive and very rude.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2015

The man was a u.s army sgt. And they could've kept him

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

In January 2015 I was at the Misericordia ER with my bi-polar & suicidal thoughts. When I found out that Dr. Neilson was on I told the nurse I was leaving and she said that was my option even though she knew how I was feeling. I had previous very negative experiences with this doctor. I decided to stay and he was actually very concerned for me which was a pleasant surprise. He ordered meds, that I was not to be in the waiting room (which was the only place to be right then due to lack of ER beds), and a psyc consult for the morning. The nursing staff in this incident were the ones with a careless attitude. When I told him I knew partly why I was feeling the way I was he made very appropriate further questions.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015

Had to wait 1h 30m to get to pills for me to be able to go.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2014