Ratings for Dr. James E. Crout

I saw Dr Crout for MANY years. After leaving his office in tears the 3rd time in a row I changed Dr's. My new Dr changed my medication and my life. I would never go back to him.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2014

The doctor does not have good bedside manners. He does not ever appear to be very knowledgeable; he always refers you to another specialist. The staff does not respond kindly to a records request. A patient's medical records are not made accessible to the patient. The doctor does not perform a thorough examination.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2014

These comments are crazy, and are mostly by people who saw Dr. Crout once or twice. I have to speak up as a patient of 7 years. He is older...and he is not always warm and fuzzy, but he has a heart of gold. He cares so much, and he goes above and beyond to try to help. I'm 38, and my lupus has been very severe...and he has been my partner through it all. He sometimes gives me a kick in the butt (which I need and deserve), and sometimes he gives me warmth and empathy. He is like a family member to me now. I've had 3 different doctors since being dx at age 16 (all in Austin). Dr. Sayers...biggest jerk and Dr. Pickerell (Michael)..who lost his license. I would never trade Dr. Crout. When the severity of my disease has stumped him...he has presented my case to other doctors and had me see his partners for their thoughts. He is a doctor that shows how amazing he is over time...NOT the 1st 20 minute appt.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013

Dr Crout has been treating me for over 5 years. When I called with an issue he wanted to see me the very next morning. He ended up being sick himself, but called me at 7am the next morning and had made arrangements for me to see another doctor in the office. I felt the same way initally, (That he was rather "clinical") but I believe he truly cares about his patients and he is very knowledgable in his specialty.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2011

I've been seeing Dr. Crout for 6 years for lupus and fibromyalgia. He is an amazing, brilliant doctor, and really cares about my health. At first, he had a terrible bedside manner & I considered other docs. He's much warmer now & his staff told me it takes him time to warm up to people. Just give him time to get to know you.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2010

Dr. Crout was a very poor listener. I was continually interrupted. His bedside manner was one of "superiority" like he was a god & I was just another idiot. I don't think docs are gods, and I believe that the doc & Patient should work toegether to understand the conditions and risks, and agree on facts--not move blindly forward based on "probabilities". I wanted a 2nd opinion, and boy, did that piss him off. I'm not going back. I'd recommend NOT going, unless you want to be "Bullied"--as opposed to listened-to.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2010

Very rude doctor. He refused to put me on remicade and MTX for my arthritis till he got a formal document from my OB/GYN saying that I am using appropriate birth control. i havent had any other doctor ask me that before starting the treatment. Birth Control is my choice and he didnt think condoms sufficed. As a doc he should have made me aware of risks of getting pregenant on MTX & Remicade and then let me chose.. rather than imposing it on me.. and oh btw I waited 2 mths to get an appointment only to be told this..

flag | Submitted May 21, 2010

Crout was very rude. He did not listen at all. He continued to interrupt me. I had faxed over relevant lab and evaluation data. He had not looked at it at all. While he did run a large battery of tests, he wanted me to wait two months to get the results (for blood work, x-rays, and MRIs). In order to get the results faster, I had the results sent to another doctor. He did not take into account my past medical history or all the other aspects of my current medical history. He only looked at my joints. Considering how many things can affect the joints AND the fact that he also specializes in internal medicine, this disappointed me. I gave Dr. Crout several chances. I do not plan on giving him any more.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2009

This doctor treated me unfairly. I don't know why but I believe it has to do with my seeing other doctors in San Antonio and Houston who had diagnoses contrary to his. I was refused and is still refused services due to him. I did not know that you could deny patients services. I guess Austin Diagnostic Rheumatology is exempt. The one doctor on their staff who gave me help, they got rid of him. This is incredible and so Texas.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2009

Dr. Crout knows his stuff, but his bedside manner stinks. I felt rushed, like he didn't have time to listen to my questions or concerns. Communication seems to be a problem.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2007

Dr. James E. Crout's Credentials

• Baylor College Of Medicine (Grad. 1970)

• BCBS Tennessee