Dr. Michael J. Schwartz

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Schwartz

Dr Schwartz is an extremely compassionate doctor. He is understanding and very relatable. He is a wonderful person.I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.One great doctor.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2017

Truly outstanding physician--cares deeply for his patients.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2015

Dr. Schwartz is by far the best doctor I have ever had. He is kind, patient and extremely knowledgeable. I have been under his care for over a year and recently had surgery. He took the time to explain everything to me and his bedside manner is amazing. He held my hand and calmed me down in the operating room and was there every morning to check on me during my hospital stay. I am now recovering and he did a remarkable job. I wish he was a general practitioner so I can use him for everything. I trusted him so much I did not even get a second opinion. If you use Dr. Schwartz you are in the best care possible. Thank you Dr. Schwartz for everything!!!!

flag | Submitted November 9, 2015

Doctor Schwartz is a doctor who cares. He answered all my questions with patience, and gave me explanations I could understand. His friendly yet professional manner left me at ease. I felt I was in the best of hands and was confident that my operation would be successful. And...all went perfect. I highly recommend Doctor Schwartz to all who need the care that his specialty provides. Thank you Doctor Schwartz and God bless you always!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2015

Amazing surgeon with kind and compassionate bedside manner. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a fantastic surgeon!

flag | Submitted May 22, 2015

I had surgery with Dr. Schwartz last month to remove my kidney cancer. He and the hospital staff at north shore were compassionate and caring. I feel great and am already back to the gym.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2015

efficient office visit. addressed all my questions. seems extremely knowledgeable, but spoke to me in a way I could easily understand.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

dr Michael Schwartz is a wonderful and skilled surgeon. he is compassionate and understanding. he is a credit to the medical profession

flag | Submitted March 19, 2015

Dr. Michael J. Schwartz's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Michael J. Schwartz, MD is a specialist in robotic, laparoscopic, and minimally invasive surgery. His expertise in nerve-sparing robotic prostatectomy and performance of laparoscopic kidney-sparing surgery for renal cancers has led him to become Director of Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery for the Smith Institute for Urology. He also currently serves an educational role as Associate Residency Program Director for Urology at North Shore-LIJ. Dr. Schwartz practice encompasses urologic oncology including surgical treatment of prostate, kidney, bladder, adrenal, and testicular cancers. He has additional expertise in benign urologic disease such as treatment of kidney stones and in laparoscopic reconstructive surgery of the kidney, ureters, and bladder. Dr. Schwartz has also taken a leading role as the urologic surgeon for laparoscopic kidney donor surgeries for the Renal Transplantation program at North Shore University Hospital. A major component of Dr. Schwartz’s practice also encompasses active surveillance for prostate and kidney cancers, which has become a viable option for many patients in selected cases. Focusing on a patient-centered approach in urologic care, Dr. Schwartz takes great pride in educating his patients on their individual disease process, with the goal being to help each patient come to a treatment decision which fits them best. Minimizing treatment impact on each patient’s quality of life is one of Dr. Schwartz’s highest priorities. After completing medical school at Brown University, Dr. Schwartz went on to his urology residency training at the New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. During his time there, he received several awards including the Outstanding Laparoscopic Resident Award from the Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons, and First Prize and Second Prizes in the Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Contest. Dr. Schwartz was also the honored recipient of the International Volunteers in Urology Traveling Resident Scholarship, through which he was able to teach endoscopic and laparoscopic surgical techniques to groups of urologists in Hue,Vietnam. Following his residency training, Dr. Schwartz went on to fellowship in advanced laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery under the mentorship of Dr. Louis Kavoussi at North Shore and Long Island Jewish Hospital. His current research interests mainly focus on urologic malignancy and he has published numerous peer reviewed articles on kidney, bladder, prostate, and testis cancer. His work may be found in leading journals such as Cancer, Journal of Urology, European Urology, Annals of Surgery, British Journal of Urology International, Urology, Advances in Urology, Journal of Oncology and Journal of Biological Chemistry. Dr. Schwartz has also authored several textbook chapters on laparoscopic surgery, including the chapter on Laparoscopic Surgery of the Kidney which appears in Campbell’s Urology, the leading textbook for urologists worldwide.

• English

• Brown University Program In Medicine (Grad. 2003)

Veterans Administration