Dr. Stephen M. Langley

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Stephen M. Langley

Dr.Langley was phenomenal with my daughter’s AVSD repair. His relationship with his patients and their families is like nothing I have experienced before, he is phenomenal.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2019

Dr. Stephen Langley did my sons 3 Heart surgeries. He was so helpful in explaining the procedures and totally put me at ease. We are so grateful that we had such an amazing surgeon and my son has done so well through all of his surgeries. Thank you so much Dr Langley and your team. We are so thankful to you all!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2019

Dr. Langley was the biggest gift to our family. He treats not just the condition but each person in the family. He goes above and beyond to provide excellent care to his patients. He exceeded my already high expectations from speaking with him on the phone. He treated us with the utmost respect and brought together a fantastic team together that took time to explain things, draw pictures, and check in with us emotionally. We were checked on by Dr. Langley at all times of day and night. His kindness toward our family did not go unnoticed. We traveled from Missouri because of his knowledge, and I'm so glad that we did. My son has a very complicated heart, which will require much more from him but what he was able to do with his heart was miraculous. I would recommend this surgeon a thousand times over. What a wonderful man!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2018

How do you describe the best feeling in the world… I just can’t find the words but I do know they’re in the dictionary and there’s so many of them that I couldn’t possibly put them all down but I feel this way every day now. I was struggling to find the best words to describe Dr. Langley and the one word that kept coming to my mind was amazing. There are so many words I could use and none of the best ones would be good enough to describe a doctor that has taken me from worrying about my daughter and how long she’s going to live to a big smile on his face when he came out of her surgery to tell me ..... “it couldn’t have gone better.... better than I could have ever hoped for” .... I just can’t describe that feeling but I know I have it and it’s the best feeling in the world and that’s how Dr. Langley made me feel .... I am here to tell you .... if you are lucky enough to get him as your surgeon, consider it a blessing.... I have. He came in every day after her open heart surgery to see her including the weekend and he has a wonderful bedside manner.... truly cares about his patients. How do you describe a doctor who held your daughter’s heart in his hands and used his expertise to give her a bright future.... you can’t as no words are good enough... let alone how would you even thank him?? ..... hopefully my very emotional sign of relief when we spoke just after and the big hug I gave him let him know how grateful I was to him for the peace he gave me... I keep him close to my heart.... I pray for him daily and I thank God every day that we were blessed to have Dr. Langley as my daughter’s surgeon❤️

flag | Submitted September 16, 2018

Dr. Langley goes beyond what I could ever expect out of both a surgeon and an empathetic human. Impressed with his skills and compassion.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2018

Our son, Mason, was born with a very rare congenital malformation. Throughout the pregnancy, up until the day he was born, we had NO idea there was anything wrong with our baby boy. It was a healthy pregnancy with no complications. Hours after he was born we noticed he had difficulty breathing and the nurse reported lower than normal oxygen levels. It was then that they transferred him to the NICU at St. Josephs Children's in Tampa, FL where he was diagnosed with TAPVR. Our baby boy, who was less than 12 hours old, had to have open-heart surgery within the hour. As parents, the hours to follow were the most difficult we had ever experienced, but we could not have been more thankful that the doctor who performed Mason's repair surgery was Dr. Langley. From the moment we met him, he was extremely caring, compassionate, honest, straightforward, knowledgeable, confident, optimistic, and professional... I honestly could go on and on. He and his team did an amazing job with the repair and our son was home within 3 weeks, just in time to spend Christmas with the family. The entire team at the PCICU at St. Joseph's Children’s Hospital was amazing and took care of our baby Mason extremely well during his recovery. Since we have been discharged, at every single one of Mason's cardiologist check-ups, every doctor and nurse has raved about the incredible job Dr. Langley did with his repair. To whoever is reading this and considering Dr. Langley and his team to perform their loved one’s surgery… Our son, Mason, was extremely sick….and we had no idea. Dr. Langley was God’s gift to us that night. We didn’t get a chance to prepare, learn about our son’s condition, and choose the doctor that would perform the surgery. If you are given that choice, call now and set up a consultation with Dr. Langley – you won’t regret it!!! For us, it could have been anyone… and we are just extremely blessed and thankful that it was Dr. Langley because he and his team saved our son’s life.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2018

Dr. Langley was amazing! He and his entire team took incredible care of my daughter. We traveled 700 miles to receive his care and he has gone above and beyond anything we have ever experienced from a surgeon. His knowledge and expertise were like none other and he was able to help our daughter who was born with a very rare form of heart disease. There is no doubt we will continue to make the trip to Dr. Langley for all our future care. He took the time to help us understand everything that was going on and made himself available in an almost unreal fashion. I would recommend Dr. Langley and can't boast enough on him! He is the epitome of everything you would hope for in a doctor.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

There are not enough words to express how grateful we are for Dr. Langley and his team. Our son was born with transposition of the Great Arteries and Dr. Langley fixed him when he was just 4 days old. We found out about our son's condition when I was pregnant, so we were able to meet with Dr. Langley and his team to make a plan prior to delivery. He was so thorough with all the details surrounding the surgery, including the potential negative outcomes which gave us a chance to process the entire situation. During our pre-surgery meetings Dr. Langley and team were so patient with us and our fears and concerns. During surgery we got updates hourly (and sometimes more frequently) which helped put our minds at ease. After surgery Dr.Langley met with us in a private room and explained every detail of how the surgery went as well as what we could expect the next few days of recovery. During recovery in the PCICU at St Joseph's Children's (quick shout out to the beyond incredible nursing staff in the PCICU) Dr. Langley and team checked on our son daily and spoke with us after each exam to keep us "in the loop". There was a very minor issue after surgery that required a stitch (after they removed a drainage tube) and I was happy to see that Dr. Langley's PA, Chelsea, was quick to respond and, again, thorough with what she was doing and why. Again I will say, words can not fully express how amazing Dr. Langley and his team were throughout the entire process. He saved our son's life and we are eternally grateful.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

I am currently two weeks out from valve replacement surgery and feeling much better than I ever expected, thanks entirely to the (wonderful, patient, kind) Dr. Langley and his entire care team at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa. As an adult Tetralogy of Fallot patient, it is incredibly difficult to find cardiologists who even recognize adult congenital heart disease, much less who specialize. I've been putting this surgery off for a decade, mainly because I couldn't find a doctor who I was comfortable with. Dr. Langley and his entire team were wonderful, reassuring me through the entire process and helping me to get through the surgery with flying colors. I am truly grateful to Dr. Langley, his PAs Katie and Chelsea, and the entire PICU team at St. Joseph's Hospital for improving my life and doing it in such a wonderful way. I highly recommend this program without reservations and hope that they continue to serve patients in the Tampa area (and beyond) for years to come.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

Dr. Langley and his team are truly amazing. He made himself available to answer multiple rounds of questions and to provide his recommendations to us as we sought to find the best surgical treatment plan for our daughter’s complex little heart. Whenever we talked with him, we never felt rushed. He was always willing to give us whatever time we needed in order to ensure that our questions were answered. The genuine care and compassion that he displayed for our daughter remained very evident each time we spoke with him. After completing significant research and securing multiple opinions, we chose to travel to Tampa to have Dr. Langley perform our daughter’s surgery, as we believed that his surgical plan offered our daughter the greatest chance for long-term success. He is an incredibly skilled surgeon. He performed a very complicated operation on our daughter, which included a delicate cone reconstruction to repair her tricuspid valve. Thanks to Dr. Langley’s skill and precision, our daughter now has a fully functioning heart for the first time in her life!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2016

Dr. Stephen M. Langley's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Stephen Langley is the Chief of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Tampa, FL and a clinical professor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He received his medical degree from London University and underwent cardiac surgical training in Cambridge and Southampton, UK. After undertaking pediatric cardiac surgical fellowship at Great Ormond St. Hospital and at Birmingham Children's Hospital, in 2002 he became an attending cardiac surgeon at Southampton University Hospital. He moved to Portland, OR in 2007 and became the Chief of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery at Oregon Health and Science University. In 2015 he moved to Tampa, FL to take up his current position.

• English