Ratings for Dr. Randall H. Vagelos

Waited about 90 minutes to see Dr Vagelos for a scheduled appointment. Considering how busy he is at Stanford, I didn't mind. Also had EKG done. As I would expect from any physician of his caliber, Dr Vagelos was thorough and knowledgeable. However, what he possess in scientific skills he woefully lacks in bedside manners. He exhibits arrogant, confrontational and dismissive attitudes at times bordering on hostile, rude and insulting. He seems to have an angry streak. Comments like these were not appreciated: "who would prescribe this junk to you (previous physician)"; "you don't appreciate the seriousness of your illness"; "I wouldn't want to have what you have"; "I don't give second opinions; you're lucky to have gotten in to see me; you must make an appointment now if you want to see me again; I don't see patients shopping around for opinions; you are searching to find an opinion that you like; you probably have already been told all this before". He declined to keep copies of my past medical files covering 20 years that I spent days in retrieving from hospitals; he refused to return scans that I paid to obtain for his review. All in all I appreciated learning new aspects of my illness but was deeply upset about his lack of common courtesy, never mind treating a patient with dignity and respect.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

Dr. Randall H. Vagelos's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1983)

Oxford