Ratings for Dr. Carol A. Turner

There needs to be a special category for how we were treated by Dr. Turner. The staff is not what I want to address...they are not the problem. Her medical knowledge is probably adequate. But one or no stars is probably what she has earned, in retrospect. First of all, we have been seeing her (well, correction--going to her office) nearly 4 years. She's not a favorite Dr but I would, at the time, have called her adequate. There was one incident a few years back when I found her particularly rude, but it was brief and I let it go as being "a bad day" for her. Still she always seemed to have a chip on her shoulder when it comes to addressing the parent. (And I had friends who went and had the same feeling about her) NOT good for a PEDIATRICIAN. After that we often saw the Physician Assistants. Most of the time because that was all that was available for one or two of the well checks and also the sick visits. They were fine and more pleasant than many experiences with Dr Turner, but I was put off by the Dr's "unavailability". Last summer for our well check (with a PA) we were asked an inordinate number of questions regarding physical activity, diet, etc--the young lady was following a form. I didn't mind those questions too much because I could see this as still fitting under the scope of medical/health questions (although our child is tall and fit). Then came the safety questions. I am thinking this is for a parent to teach their children....then comes the questions to my child about friends, and bullying and how do you handle that (definitely a parent's job not a Dr's to ask these questions and teach their children!)....then (the PA and this summer, the DR) talks about wearing a helmet for everything but sleeping (yes I am joking but like the other person posted, it was over the top). Next came questions about what responsibilities do you have in the home! Also our child was asked if we (Mom and Dad) still have the same jobs!!! (NONE of your business!!) the how are you disciplined questions....what kind of consequences/punishment do you receive? (At this point, Iast year, I was stunned and instead of speaking up was wanting to see just how far this was going to go...! We asked these questions as family therapists ONLY when we had good reason to suspect abuse) Then ..what would you do if you found a needle--like that is used for shots? Have you ever found one? (seriously!!). What if you were at a friend's and found a gun...what would you do? Are there guns in your home? .... I believe at this point last year I asked the PA what this form was all about and said we never had these questions before here or elsewhere. I think she said it was a standard form--government or AMA or some sort of entity putting these out. I don't think that's accurate because later I "polled" friends here in CO and in AZ--no one had ever experienced such intrusive (non of your business) questions! A couple friends had some of the extensive food and activity questions but NOT all of the others. Most suggested I dump that Dr (and I should have). We came back this summer for a well check. Staff was decent as usual. Dr was brusque to me--kind to my daughter (at least). Then the same list of questions began and I really wanted to know what this was all about. I told Dr Turner that these questions seem to be a bit much for a Dr's office. I just said they bothered me. Not confrontational. I just wanted to discuss this. She became VERY defensive (professionalism??) Her first response was "THEN YOU CAN LEAVE!" (holy cow. Once again this was so stunning I had to see where this was going to go). I tried to remain pleasant and inquisitive (and wasn't leaving!) so she continued to defend the questions and began giving examples by mentioning diet, exercise, etc and I said several times, to those examples "I have no problems with those questions". Her tone was nasty, her voice had escalated, and my child was witnessing all of this as well. I gave examples of the discipline questions as being over-reach and bordering on inappropriate for a pediatrician--UNLESS child abuse was suspected and shared I am familiar with the questioning having worked as a therapist--to which I received an EYE ROLL and HEAD SHAKE and another nasty" Well, find another pediatrician!" This woman should not be working with the public let alone as a pediatrician!! My husband is upset I paid for the visit. She definitely did not deserve to get paid for being nasty to her patients/parents! To top it off, I went and browsed at a nearby shop to calm my nerves and ended up venting to the salesperson. She informed me that "you are definitely not the first person I have heard complain about her". Yep, we are done.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2017

Our children visited Dr. Turner for a wellness check. No injuries, no illness, no sign of neglect or abuse. Just a wellness checkup. Dr. Turner missed the peanut allergy and the dental retainer but didn't hesitate to question my children about guns in the home, whether they wear helmets while skiing, whether they are taken to the dentist regularly or how they're being fed relative to fruits and vegetables. She didn't ask about meat and protein, just fruits and vegetables. The doctor needs to spend more time on patient history prior to an appointment and less time questioning children about matters that are irrelevant to the visit. As consumers, we've chosen a different doctor and avoid her wasting our valuable time in the future.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2015