Ratings for Dr. Thirumalairaj Jayakumar

Dr. Jayakumar did my open RNY gastric bypass over 13 years ago, as well as my gall bladder surgery, and three hernia repairs. He also did my husband's hernia repair surgery. We felt at ease with him immediately, as well as with his wonderful staff, he is very knowledgeable and I researched the bariatric surgeons in the Houston area for over a year before actually deciding to go with Dr. J. It turned out that our long-time family GP and pediatrician was also Dr. J's family doctor and when I told him that I was researching surgeons, he immediately recommended Dr. J. I have been so thrilled with my results... I lost 70 pounds in the first 7 months, and a total of 150 pounds over 13 months, losing half of my starting weight of 300 pounds! I was overjoyed! Now, I will say there are risks involved in such a serious undertaking... This IS a major surgery and should not be taken lightly. I had previous serious health issues which contributed to my struggle with my weight and factored heavily into my decision to have the surgery, some of which continued afterward. One of these issues was blood clots in the lungs (aka pulmonary emboli), which are life-threatening, which showed up in my lungs again after the surgery. Another complication was the 80+ gallstones that caused excruciating pain and another surgery to be done. Regardless, I would still have had the surgery despite the complications. I am so thankful for Dr. J and his team! I have since had two more wonderful daughters and my stomach has stretched out a bit, but I am still 120 pounds down from where I started over 13 years ago! Dr. J is the best!

flag | Submitted November 10, 2014