Ratings for Dr. Glenn S. Ross

I have chronic pain from peripheral neuropathy, and my two pair of shoes are rapidly wearing out to the point of not being useable. I think I have three months, possibly slightly more, of wear on my shoes. I have consulted with Johns Hopkins, MCV, had surgical procedures, including spinal cord stimulation. I have also seen several neurologists, podiatrists, and tried a number of shoes and orthotics. I have tried at least 15 pain of shoes over the last 7 or 8 years, and at least a half dozen orthotics, and all have significantly increased my pain. I had seen my PCP, Dr. Glenn Ross, in November for a consult, because I was fearing that I might, at some point, need a wheelchair or some other mobility device given the urgency and gravity of my situation. He gave me an OT consult, but suggested that before I use it, that I talk with my podiatrist first. That made sense to me. My concern was that the pain would become so great wearing the new shoes that I would not be able to wear anything. The next week, a clinical psychologist who specializes in pain management, gave me the name of a pain management specialist. I phoned Dr. Ross’s office for the referral that the pain management specialist was requiring for me to see him. The next day, Dr. Ross’ receptionist phoned and read a note from the doctor, which said I did not need pain management, and that he would need to talk with me about other options. That he could come to that conclusion without consulting me, especially since I had consulted with him the week before about the possibility I might need a wheelchair was bizarre. That he ruled it out before having a discussion with me was just unbelievable, so I terminated my professional relationship with him. He tried to call me at home, but I wasn’t there. I didn’t actually hear from him until a few business days later, when he called me on my cell phone. He asked what my concern was, and when I told him, he accused me of putting him on the defensive and started ranting. When I told him to stop yelling at me, he insisted he wasn’t and got even more agitated. He said that he had called me on my cell, and when I told him that I hadn’t gotten that call, he told me to talk with my wife who could prove that he had phoned - of course, all I was saying was that I hadn’t gotten the call, not that he was making up an alibi. Then he stated that when patients ask for referrals, it’s not like going to McDonalds and placing an order, that they have to consult. Actually, the week before I had sought him out for his input and expertise, so I could not understand why he saw this as an end run. He kept getting increasingly hostile, so I hung up. In addition, given the seriousness of the situation, I would have hoped Dr. Ross would have called me himself, or at least, have a nurse reach out to me, not leave the call in the hands of a receptionist, a non-medical person. Certainly, he should have mentioned pain management strategies when I had sought him out just a week earlier for mobility options, if he felt that my pain would be so great I would not be able to walk. He should have understood that by unilaterally ruling out a pain management specialist without so much as a discussion, he was taking away hope from me when I most desperately needed it. Doctors should never take away hope from a patient, just to prove a point that’s inimical to patient care. Fortunately, I no trouble finding another physician to make the referral, no questions asked, because the doctor knew what I had been going through and was happy to help. Dr. Ross has an essential responsibility to treat patients with caring and respect. Since he seems to be lacking in this area, I would suggest he obtain professional supervision before continuing seeing patients.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2017

Great Doctor. Well educated and respected by his peers.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2012

Exceptional Physician well trained at one of the best medical schools in the country, Cornell. Friendly and a great personality. Will easily spend as much time with you as you need. You never seem rushed.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2012

Dr. Glenn S. Ross's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1987)