Ratings for Dr. Calvin M. Johnson

Based on posts that have been shared by numerous patients over many years, it appears that a lot of Dr. Calvin Johnson's patients had issues with regard to his results. Patients have their right to post individual reviews, which is what benefits any objective person who is seeking a competent plastic surgeon, and allows them to make an educated decision on the best provider suited for their needs. Dr. Johnson's reviews on this website, along with multiple reviews on other websites over the years indicate that he had a lot of opportunities over the years to improve his techniques, not only surgically, but more so with the way he interacted with patients, and how he conducted his consultations. One of the comments I read was that, Dr. Johnson was not a proponent of digital imagery, because of his patients expectations. The fact is, at one time Dr. Johnson used digital imagery, but he didn't utilize this communication tool the way it is intended to be used. Digital imagery is a valuable communication tool, which defines the desired goal that the patient and surgeon have as a result of a surgery. Anyone can morph a “perfect nose” on a computer, that is not the purpose of digital imagery. Digital imagery confirms that a surgeon and a patient are on the same thought process as to what a patient and a plastic surgeon's realistic goals are for the surgery. Providers who don't use this tool, may not be able to stand by their results, and are usually hiding something. Patients have a right to know what reasonable results a surgery will produce, so that they can make an educated decision, if they want to have a surgery. Dr. Johnson lacked the communication skills to perform a comprehensive consultation which resulted in poor surgical results. Dr. Johnson also did not use before and after pictures of previous patients ,because he could not stand by his results. Before and after pictures are communication tools which help a patient determine the skill level of their surgeon, and communicate to the surgeon a mutual attainable goal for a patient, and a surgeon. Dr. Johnson lost sight of his purpose as a surgeon, which was to serve his clients' reasonable expectations. Unfortunately Dr. Johnson was paranoid about being liable for his actions, so much so, that his patients' suffered as a result. If you center your business around a client, you will succeed in achieving your personal goals. Unfortunately, Calvin never learned an important principle, a patient is always first.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2019

Dr. Calvin Johnson performed Rhinoplasty on me, and ruined my appearance to the point that what he did to me can't be corrected. He created a shape to my nose, that was the opposite shape that I wanted which can not be fixed because he wasted all of the cartilage. Every time I look into the mirror, I want to die. He disfigured my face to the point where it has made my life hopeless.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2019

Dr. Calvin M. Johnson is the most intentional deceptive Doctor that I have met in my lifetime. Dr. Johnson uses mainly the mirror examination during his consultations, this technique should mainly be used for soft tissue changes, such as a Facelift, it is not an effective tool for an Implant or Rhinoplasty. He does this, so as a client, you can't be objective looking at yourself in the mirror. But,you can be objective by looking at a photograph of yourself ,and with computer digital imagery. You look totally different in a photograph compared to how you see yourself in a mirror, and it is a result of science and objectivity. Dr. Calvin Johnson knows this fact, and takes advantage of this scientific principle. He especially takes advantage of this fact after surgery, that is why he does not show you pictures of yourself after your surgery, so you can't evaluate the changes he has made, he does not want you to look at the end result, that way you will not be objective after surgery. He trains his staff, and has trained Doctors at Hedgewood Facial Plastic Surgery Clinic to follow this practice. This is a deceptive technique he uses to avoid liability, and responsibility for his actions. Computer digital imagery, two and three dimensional, and pictures of previous patients are communication tools, that the best ethical plastic surgeons use during a consultation. If the pictures are actually of former patients of your doctor, they will show you the skill level of your surgeon. Computer digital imagery will communicate the desired outcome both you and your surgeon hope to obtain as a result of your surgery. These communication tools confirm that you and your surgeon are on the same page, as to what you want for your achieved outcome. Dr. Johnson offered neither computer digital imagery, nor did he offer pictures of previous patients when I had my surgery. Those two communication tools are essential for a thorough consultation, and to avoid miscommunication. Dr. Johnson lied to me before and after my surgery a minimum of five times. Digital Imagery is only a communication tool, but it prevents major mistakes and miscommunication, like he made during my consultation, and on my face. Dr. Johnson misunderstood the shape I wanted for my nose, and completely gave me the opposite shape that I wanted. The reason he made this inexcusable mistake, was because the consultation was intentionally not done properly, and therefore he failed, and I suffered the consequences of his inept consultation. My suggestions on how to deal with corrupt Plastic Surgeons, and not let them take advantage of you during a consultation are based on my poor experience. Always research plastic surgeons on the internet. When calling to make an appointment, ask the receptionist if the office has computer digital imagery,and before and after pictures of clients of your gender, if they don't, do not waste your time, don't make an appointment. A lot of people are using their own apps, and shaping their own changes with their phone or their computer, and then bringing in the results, which is a very good idea. Don't show your doctor your desired outcome until he shows you what he thinks will be the best outcome for you on his computer. If you are having Rhinoplasty, find out how many cartilage grafts the doctor is going to use, if any, from your septum to reshape your nose. Usually only three grafts can be taken from your septum, then you are out of cartilage, unless it's taken from your ear, or a rib, which you want to try and avoid. The less cartilage the doctor uses, the better, because you might need the remaining cartilage for a revision, if necessary. Rhinoplasty is usually considered a one time shot, with little success with revisions, and that is how you have to approach this process, which is why you and your surgeon need to be on the same page, and very clear on the preferred outcome. Unfortunately, when a Doctor chooses money as a priority,and tries to avoid liability, like Dr. Johnson, then that doctor is not focused on your best interests. When a person lacks ethics, like Dr. Johnson, he is thinking of what is best for himself versus his patient's well being. Dr. Johnson has negatively influenced plastic surgeons, through fellowships, which makes it harder for consumers to find a surgeon who has integrity. There are enough unethical people in society, Dr. Calvin Johnson does not need to teach other doctors how to mislead, lie, deceive, trick, and cover up mistakes, just so that they can make money and avoid liability for their actions. The only way consumers can hold Plastic Surgeons accountable is by pointing out the unethical doctors, like Dr. Calvin M. Johnson, and reward the doctors, through reviews, who are going to make decisions based on their patients best interests.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2018

I'm currently 59 but, numerous years back Dr. Calvin Johnson gave me my life back. My nose had been cut off, my chin had a huge smiley face due to my bottom teeth going through it into my steering wheel, three vertical scars under the left nostril to the lip, and I had a huge vertical scar on my forehead from scalp to eyebrows due to my head being split open all the way through to the brain. Dr. Johnson removed a portion of the back of my ear built me a new tip of my nose, new nasal passages, cut the scar open on my forehead and made one scar numerous small cuts making like a lightening bolt which once healed no scar at all, recut the scar on my chin and froze the scar on my chin another time and you can hardly even see anything. My nose is absolutely beautiful. My Mother and Father had taken me to numerous surgeons to only have me more disfigured and finally on said "If you were my daughter I'd have you immediately go to Dr. Calvin Johnson. He's the best in the World" I love this man he gave me my life back and I have to say It's truly been a wonderful life due solely to him and God!! Thank you Dr. Johnson!!! Words can never thank you for what you did for me. You made me beautiful inside and out!! I was 32 I believe when you performed your miracles on my face with your hands and your knowledge!!! Love Donna P.S. Dr. Johnson doesn't need to be a talker he is unbelievably talented who cares if he's not a salesman. He doesn't need to sell himself! I went to those salesman surgeons and ended up more disfigured...I'd let anyone look at my face before he performed his miracle on me. My own Mother said she would have taken her life if she would have been me.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2018

Preparation is the key to a successful outcome. Dr. Johnson is not a communicator, so how would he be able to perform a thorough consultation so that a patient is confident that he knows what changes you desire. Your appearance and self esteem are important to you, but unfortunately Dr. Johnson refuses to take his consultations as an important factor in your well being.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

The facility is not equipped to conduct a thorough consultation, which will result in a poor outcome. The only purpose his office is set up this way, is so he can avoid liability for his actions.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr. Calvin Johnson needs to realize that a surgery is composed of two steps, the consultation and the surgery. If a surgeon is not competent with regard to a consultation, the process is over before they wheel you into the operating room and put you under. The surgeon has failed before he starts operating if he doesn't conduct a thorough consultation..

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016

Dr. Johnson lacks the communication skills during a consultation in order for a client to specifically know what changes he is going to perform during surgery, and as a result I needed a revision to correct his mistakes. If we would of had a detailed consultation, I could of told him what I wanted and what I did not want him to do to my appearance. He doesn't take his job seriously, and as a result he makes careless mistakes.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016

If every plastic surgeon had the perception that in order to have a successful surgery they had to have a thorough consultation, there would be less mistakes made during the surgery, and therefore more satisfied clients would be pleased with the results,

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

The overall experience was poor. Dr. Johnson will try to do as little as possible during the course of a surgery. He thinks that if he makes one improvement on someone's face that they will be satisfied. He will try to talk you out of correcting an imperfection, so he will not have to apply himself during surgery.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016