Ratings for Dr. Sherylan Young

Dr. Young is a caring and compassionate and thorough practitioner. I am so grateful for all the time she takes with me and always so willing to explain anything I ask her. I have known Verna for many years and find her always willing and pleasant in midst of a very busy office. Jane I have also know for many years and there is no better nor dedicated nurse anywhere. Mari Varcoe

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

I suppose I will address this to everyone, especially those who took stars off of Dr. Young's rating for 'faults' that have nothing to do with her or her abilities, such as staff complaints and parking. Verna is not mean, she is stern and accomplished. Underneath her professional exterior is a HUGE heart of gold that you can crack into, and when her smile breaks it is almost the best part of the visit already. Maybe ask if she needs a coffee or a tea if you are going there while you wait? You would be amaazed how much friendlier people can be when YOU are friendly too ;] As to Dr. Young's 'oddball' Seinfield comparisons, I say shame on you and you egocentric judgmental opinions. You think this is TV? Try to tell people compassionately they are going to die. Perhaps she is visiting you just after diagnosing my brother with leukemia, telling him they had to act now, pulling him off of the tour he was on and admitting him immediately, saving his life. Perhaps it was after the fiftieth time seeing my father, a mountain of a man with many issues as he ages, and keeping him fit and on top of his health for all these years. Perhaps it was after diagnosing me with testicular cancer and informing me I would need an orchiectomy to also save my life. She has made these 'odd referrals' to me many times, and has sent me to the best equipped institutions and used her experience and clout to help me get ahead of waiting times that were sometimes months long. She is a supreme example of a doctor and a specialist, goes out of her way to help younger trainees learn it right, and perhaps her manner may also be reflecting yours, except she is thinking about many more important things than herself.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017

Dr. Young is knowledgeable but really does lack any sort of warmth or compassion. The last time I saw her it felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld...she was just so odd.....I must say I felt as though I was bothering her and that intimidated me. She never did tell me what was wrong with me but went ahead to give me all kinds of referrals for things that I didn't ask for. very odd. I ended up going to a walk in clinic the next day and got the antibiotics I needed. Ps. I would rather see the residents; at least they acknowledge that they're listening.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

have been seeing dr. young for several years and while I can appreciate that she is in a teaching situation, find it annoying to only see residents who have to check with her anyway before confirming a diagnosis or discussing treatment. The few times she has actually taken the time to see me she is nice enough. Knowledgeable as she has always been, but lacks compassion. Jane, the nurse is great. Friendly and thorough. Understanding of needing privacy or time with a dr. when needed and efficient and to the point in her comforting way as well. Secretary Verna is unpleasant and inefficient. She lost my test request, twice, and was annoyed when I asked her for it. Eventually (many weeks later) just took the copy myself to the appropriate place. She is rude and speaks disrespectfully to patients. I'm rarely there, maybe 1x a year if that, she has no reason to be rude.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2017

The little I see of her after spending far too much time with residents is only partially satisfactory. She is forthcoming with appropriate referrals or ordering tests, but I do not always get called with results. It seems she wants to hear only about one issue per visit, but that is not good enough. On two recent occasions she has either ignored or misdiagnosed a condition with very unpleasant consequences. My confidence in her knowledge has suffered.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

Dr. Young is thorough, kind and caring. She has been my doctor for 16 years and she always double checks my records and makes sure everything is up to date (vaccines etc). I find her very warm and friendly and never feel like a bother. I appreciate that she is training medical students because they would do well to follow in her example. I gave a 4 only on staff because I find the nurses excellent but the administrator is a bit abrupt on the phone, in person she is much more approachable.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

STICK TO SYMPTOMS! She has no interpersonal skills. Separate mind from body completely. ⅔ of my appointments are taken with the BP meter,so no time to tell those symptoms...

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

I'm surprised to read some harsh comments here. I've had Dr Young as my doctor for several years. I usually see one of the interns, who gave all seemed very good, and consult with Dr Young when appropriate. I have also had time with Dr Young when I needed it, and gave found her to be patient, attentive and caring, while business-like. She doesn't ooze warmth, but that doesn't mean she's cold. And I think Verna is terrific, friendly and efficient.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2014

I have worked in the health field for over 30 years, and Dr Young is exceptional. Dr Young is the reason I am alive today. Hands down best doctor I have been to in the past 10 years. Professional, caring, genuine and is there for you when needed. You do see Residents but Dr Young does come in when needed, or is the principal doctor on the visit. I would not see anybody else, she really is that good.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

SELDOM SEE DR. YOUNG. WHEN I DO I MUST SAY SHE IS VERY THOROUGH AND KNOWLEDGEABLE. THE RECEPTIONIST IS VERY RUDE AND DISTANT. WHY DO THE YHAVE SOMEONE LIKE VERNA GREETING SICK PATIENTS. WE DON,T NEED IT. MAYBE IT,A SITUATION THAT STAFF CAN,T BE REPRIMANDED OR DISCIPLINED. NOT A FUN PLACE.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2013