Ratings for Dr. Michael Virro

This man is amazing. It would have been easier to get the pope himself pregnant than to get me pregnant but he did it!!We struggled with several doctors before coming to Dr. Virro. Without him, I would not have my son (Who is now 13) We found him to be very professional and seemed to be in it for more than just the money. I really believe he challenges himself to succeed . I will be forever grateful to him.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

Only complaint is the bloodwork is always painful and they leave bruises. They don't seem to be fit to be there.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2018

When I was first matched with this Clinic to be a Surrogate for a couple who had been trying for years to have a child, I will admit that I was naive and assumed it would work the first time. However, we used the intended mother’s eggs (which were already graded as poor) and Dr Virro bluntly said “this won’t work but she insists we try.” In front of her. I felt so awkward! So we transferred a single embryo and the after care I got was all about what happens when it works. I didn’t get any information at all about what would happen if the transfer failed- which it did. I was on vaginal progesterone suppositories and had to continue doing them while bleeding. When I called to find out if that was normal- no one answered (international call for me) on a Friday afternoon. Then it was the weekend and I was still doing the suppositories. Then it was a holiday on Monday and I was STILL doing the suppositories- while having what felt and looked like a full cycle. Finally Tuesday afternoon rolled around and they called me back with a short “you have to keep doing them until beta which is Thursday”. I said that was fine but is the basically period I was having normal?? “No, it probably failed but you still have to wait until beta.” Sigh... so I waited. Still doing them 3x a day with two inserted at a time. Beta came back Thursday afternoon with a 3- it failed. So we waited two months and tried again. Better communication this time. We were using an egg donor and Dr Virro was much happier about this but still was rude to the mother and I felt it was completely unnecessary. We were set to transfer one embryo again and I followed their med protocol exactly. Started bleeding the day I was supposed to fly there (day before transfer) and I called immediately at the airport and got through- I let them know I was bleeding-not spotting-bleeding. They said to come anyway “flight’s already paid for, just come and we’ll check it out. Just take it easy until you get here. And don’t tell the mom, she’ll just worry.” THAT felt wrong. But I listened. They picked me up from the airport and the next day we went to the clinic to get everything looked at before transfer. Still bleeding- Virro looked and said “yeah, you’re bleeding alright, but we’ll go ahead with the transfer anyway. It’s already thawed and ready to go.” WTF?? (Now I know much better/ then, I took the “doctor” at his word and didn’t think anything of it. After transfer we waited like we were supposed to, then went back to the hotel and I took it VERY easy. Got home two days later (lighter bleeding but still there). Beta a week later revealed that it was also a failed transfer. Finally I realized that not once did I ever have any local monitoring done. Never had my hormone levels checked prior to transfers. They could have done a progesterone check or anything the day of transfer prior to- but didn’t. I told the parents I would not transfer with the Clinic again but I would stay with them for another try if they wanted to find another place to go to. They agreed but after three weeks changed their minds and stayed with him. We broke the match and I never heard from them again. I do not know if they ever had a child. 2 years later I decided I would try again with a different Clinic- the transfer took the first time and resulted in a healthy baby boy for a family that had waited almost 20 years for their addition. I tried again about 8 months later for another parent and am currently carrying another boy, over halfway through the pregnancy. It was never my body that was the issue- the lack of checks throughout the process, the lack of caring and basic respect for the parents, and the awful “God-complex” Dr Virro had- I will NEVER recommend this clinic to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2018

very high volume clinic especially now that it is receiving funding through the ontario fertility program for patients who get seen. As a result, it feels that this has affected the quality of care (I have been a patient before the clinic started receiving the funding and I definitely notice a difference). Patient care coordinator is extremely unpleasant. It seems that there is poor communication between doctor and his staff. Dr. Virro himself is difficult to talk too and can be demeaning and insensitive at times.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

After a horrible experience at a larger clinic, we moved to Markham Fertility and waited to see Dr Virro. He’s a fantastic doctor and I appreciate his straight forward (sometimes humorous) approach. His staff is fantastic and I will actually miss seeing them now that we are pregnant and graduating from the fertility clinic to Sunnybrook Hospital for delivery which is closer to home for us. You can’t ask for better.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

Never go there.... ..........................

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Dr Virro is amazing, he is extremely knowledgeable and friendly, I didn't have the feeling that he just wants to make money and I really trusted him, all the staff except Helen are friendly, Tali is very nice she is one of the best, but Helen is completely different she is not friendly at all she yelled at me few times, I think Dr Virro should talk to her maybe she is overloaded with lots of work, but it does not mean that she has the right to yell at patients.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

Unfortunately I have been few fertility clinics but I had the worst experience here ... I didn't feel comfortable in this clinic ...Stuff is only nice when you are paying otherwise they dont care about you and the doctor definitely doesn't care how you feel about your infertility ... I wish I would have never went to this clinic am so disappointed !! NOT RECOMMENDED by me

flag | Submitted September 12, 2017

I am absolutely disappointed and shocked how such a doctor spoke to his patient. I had 3 miscarriages in the past and I came to his clinic to have an opinion on recurrent miscarriages. I heard his clinic through researching online and hoping to recommend any diagnostic test why my pregnancy were failed. all he said was my eggs are poor quality due to my age over 40. I requested to obtain a test to find out what is going why I had recurrent miscarriages, he said it costs 3 grand US dollars...your best bet is egg donors. He also said we don't want you to get the test because what is the point of it your egg is old. If you get that test then you don't want an egg donor. Why would I want to risk your body to go through such a pregnancy again if something wrong on it? What do these doctors tell you?? Crystal clear, Dr. Virro was saying the test is only available to those people who would sign up for expensive treatment such as Egg Donors. Fertility doctors will tell you how they want you to get a treatment and diagnosis just to funnel your money out of your pocket. Couples must be very careful and analyze how these fertility Doctors communicate with you especially you are in the highest level of desperation to have a child. He was my 3rd fertility Doctors ..none of them said something wrong with me except my egg is very old. They don't even discuss the results of your ultrasound and tests results..meaning nothing wrong. Any kind of Doctors should have offered an alternative treatment as stated on College of Physician and Surgeon of Ontario. It was very sad experienced and I felt I was denied on said testing..live and learn.....I have a high FSH and there is no treatment on that. I continued and said, you suggested an egg donor so y own body rejected pregnancy how much more for other people's DNA..Oh we will treat you and do testting..what kind of nonsense is that? It means they control you and make sure you spend money on a simple and non problematic fertility issue...I am disgusted with these people, liars and very deceiving. All they see you is your age and what do you do for living then boom..give me your 25 grand to have a child....I felt sorry to those people who believed and get deceived right away...that they have a problem. Dr Virro even said why wasting tax payers money to do the test while your egg is old???Unprofessional and Nasty person, as I bit my tongue in front of my husband I would hav said ..is NONE of your Business as I am a tax payers for all my life too...

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Nice Doctor, easy to talk to although I was so stressed on out first visit. We did "IUI" based on his suggestion and on the first try we got pregnant. So thankful to him

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017