You may also like

Cowan likes to sell procedures -- but beware the Lipiflow -- it doesn't work. Also, he likes to speak to you as if he's more intelligent and better educated: He is not.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2016

Family goes to him for last 17 years. Always on time. Always prompt. Never tried to 'sell' us on any procedure. I aksed him about,lazik and although he could do it he said I'd still have to wear reading glasses...he's a no BS doctor. Extremely patient with us. When spouse has eye problem, he got in that next day. When Cowen found he had to wait even one day, he was not happy with staff and apologized. Wow! We hope he doesn't retire until our family is dead. We will never be able to replace him.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

I went to Dr. Cowen for a second opinion for cataract surgery. The first ophthalmologist I saw wanted to charge me $10,000 EXTRA to put in a dual function lens. When I saw Dr. Cowen he said due to my previous "hole in the macular" surgery, he would not even consider putting in that type of lens for me. In fact he specifically said that would not be the right lens for someone with my prior eye surgery. I went along with him, and also had cataract surgery on my other eye. After consultation with him "We" (not him alone) decided to put one near sighted lens in one eye, and a far sighted lens in the other. Since I was born that way, it would keep my eyes the way they were prior to surgery. The near sighted lens in one eye and far sighted in the other is NOT for everybody, but it has worked well for me. He is very patient with his patients and explains the pros and cons in language anyone can understand. I recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2010

He is excellent. Very caring, detail oriented and conservative with treatment. He wears glasses too! He won't just give someone lazik as a money making machine - he will tell you yes or no...same for contact lenses and transitional lenses. He explains what can be done for you, why and why not. He'll even give you hints on ski goggles! Can't beat that. by the way,,,he may not be taking anymore clients. He's young and totally booked cuz he's that good.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2006

Dr. Sheldon J. Cowen's Credentials

• Univ Of Mi Med Sch, Ann Arbor Mi 48109 (Grad. 1982)

Updates

• A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "Cowan likes to sell procedures -- but beware the Lipiflow -- it doesn't work. Also, he likes to speak to you as if he's more intelligent and better educated: H..."

February 3, 2016
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=32822'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.7

February 5, 2014