Ratings for Dr. Olabisi O. Oshikanlu

Dr. Oshikanlu is VERY knowledgeable and has always treated my children as if they were her own. My children saw Dr. Oshikanlu when she was in Natchitoches, La. I am not sure that the Dr. Olibisi Oshikanlu that the person speaks of in the June 2015 paragraph about being denied "medical food" is one in the same or not. However, I would tell that parent, Dr. Oshikanlu (whether same one or NOT) that responded to her is obviously a "medical expert" serving on a board to assure that as little "fraud" or "misuse" of funds as possible occur. They probably aren't saying the child doesn't "need" the "medical food", but rather that there are steps that need to be covered to go to the next level. I have to handle this type of situation all the time with medications. I also have sent denial letters much like the one she has received. In the world of Insurance many doctors prescribe a formula, medicine, or even therapy in some instances because they "believe" it to be what's best for that patient and in reality it is something that is costly, and can SOMETIMES be avoided by ATTEMPTING some other things first. I do NOT know what kind of rare genetic illness the child has nor the previous attempts at "other options" that have been tested. BUT I do know that if the "state hospitals and specialist" treating the child and disorder has this information documented, with testing showing the genetic illness, and the other formulas tried along with the side effects, results, or adverse reactions of each method documented then there should be no problem getting it "approved" but these things have to be done first (showing that the trial and error process has been reviewed). Further more the parent is always WELCOME to buy the formula out of pocket until it is settled, I don't for see any parent feeding their child something that causes all of the side effects reported below. I also do not see this parent with holding food from the child because the one isn't available on insurance and the other causes severe side effects. When my son was a newborn and was breastfed only- he nursed all the time, and nursed well but he was extremely fussy and he wouldn't gain weight. Born at 6# 8 oz and at 6 weeks weighed 5# 12 oz . Finally at 6 moss's we had grown but was still in the 2-5 percentile mark for growth so the doctor put him on formula, we went through no less than 10 formulas with the same result only now we had diarrhea and vomiting from SUPPLEMENTAL feedings only. Finally the doctor suggested NEOCATE formula, this is not available in stores, you have to get it from a pharmacy with a prescription, my insurance didn't cover it, and I am NOT a WIC recipient or am I eligible for WIC benefits. Therefore I had a choice to make either 1) I could pay $88/can of powder for the formula, 2) go back to something else that we had already tried that wasn't NEAR as expensive or 3) continue to breastfeed only and hope he outgrew these symptoms. So I chose to pay the $ for the formula- because it was what was BEST for my son- not my pocket book. I understand this lady wants what's best for her child AND has been told and seen the things other formulas do to the child BUT no physician, nurse or other "expert" on the review panel of an insurance company can be held "responsible" for the decision they make WHEN it is based upon "guidelines" set up to protect the insurance company from unnecessary charges. The parent really can't do anything except get the formula out of pocket until the insurance has everything it needs to approve the formula as "medically necessary" because when you as a parent do not do what is best for the child that can be seen as neglect. Sometimes the manufacturer of the formula will qualify the parent for a "grant" from which unknown funds pay for the formula or they can "donate" or provide the formula at a discounted rate with documentation from the physician. The doctor who diagnosed the infant should be the one assembling this information)

flag | Submitted September 23, 2015

I have an infant daughter diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that doesn't respond to medication. The only recognized treatment is a strict medical diet. Untreated, she'll have profound development disabilities, seizures, blood clots, weak bones, and loss of eyesight. Treated with the medical diet, she'll be perfectly healthy. She's being seen at a state hospital with doctors who specialize in treating this rare disease that effects only 1 in a quarter million. Unfortunately, our Health insurance doesn't cover "medical food" unless it's administered by feeding tube. We appealed and got a letter back from Dr. Oshikanlu. Dr. Oshinkanlu, decided, against advice of the aforementioned specialists that "just because [your daughter] was prescribed formula does not mean it's a medical necessity" which is the is the argumentative equivalent to saying "Nah-ah!" to my daughter's medical team who objectively know much more about the subject at hand than Dr. Oshinkanlu will ever. It's shameful that Dr. Oshikanlu would put Coventry Insurance's profits ahead of an infant's life.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

She is a great doctor and examines children thoroughly when they are sick. She has been my children's pediatrician since she has been in the Natchitoches area.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2011