Ratings for Dr. Joseph P. THORNTON

He destroyed me left a gaping hole in my rear end with some inners falling out. I need to have a colostomy now. He said a mesh would help after having rectal cancer. He put it in once when I was out and said cut again to make it tighter. It ripped out of me. He let me walk around 3 days with it poking me. I finally came in to his office and he just ripped it out of me. He said maybe I will have a lot of scare tissue and that would help, I spent 3 months healing. I went back to his office and told him I was much worse off he just shrugged his shoulders and walked out. Oh well...better your body than mine I thought. I call him Dr. Mutilator He ruined me .

flag | Submitted February 28, 2016

I loved the staff here. They were extremely helpful and kind. I had a perianal abscess and had been passed around from doctor to doctor. Finally, after some research, I begged my insurance to let me see a colon and rectal surgeon. I spoke with the staff almost daily and Dr. Thornton had scheduled a fistulotomy without even examining me. When I went in for my consult he said "okay we are all set for tomorrow". When I asked him what procedure he was doing he went nuts. He starting yelling at me telling me I was telling him how to do his job. He also told me that recovery would take about 8 weeks. This man should not be practicing medicine. This man wanted to put me under anesthesia without knowing what was going on with me. I wouldn't trust him with a worm. I think it's time for Dr. Thornton to hang up his coat and retire somewhere far far away. I got a second opinion from another doctor who did my surgery. It took less than an hour and it's been 4 days and I'm already continuing daily activities. So glad I trusted my gut and went to see another doctor. He would have butchered me.

Submitted July 6, 2015

One of the kindest and most professional doctors. I have ever been to. he performed a colonoscopy on me and it was swift and painless. Follow up visits were friendly and informative.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2015

Dr. Thornton is the most unprofessional Dr. I have ever seen. He doesn't do anything to help his patients and is very rude and just seems to not care at all when it comes to his patients. I would highly recommend staying away from this Dr.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2014

Went here cause former GI said after a colonoscopy, he could not help as I had a bacterial infection that mimics diverticulitis...he does not know what it is or how to cure it and to "live with it". Went to Thornton due to reputation by a former primary of mine. He would not do a scope and said I should go back to the GI doctor who last did a scope and had said he could do nothing and have him do another scope and send Thornton a copy and then he would see me. My other GI has done 2 scopes without new results. Why can't this "expert" do his own scope and maybe he would see something (as a colon expert) that the other doctors could not find? Very disappointed. He even had invented something that helps internal hemorroids which I have bleeding but would not discuss that with me either.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2012

Dr. Joseph P. THORNTON's Credentials

• Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine (Grad. 1971)