Ratings for Dr. Mark K. Detweiler

Every time I went to my allotted appointment time, he was late by at least 20 minutes. He also put me on very high doses of medications, one actually caused liver swelling and extreme fatigue. He did not follow the FDA safety guidelines beforehand, either. I got no liver testing before or during, like I was supposed to (found out after the fact). These symptoms were things in the paper work that, if occurring, I should tell my doctor and probably should stop taking it. I told him, he said it was no big deal, and I should continue taking them. I stopped on my own volition and after a week slowly started to feel better. It took a long time to fully recover. I've told doctors versed in those drugs about the dosage, and they said they were ridiculous! He constantly brushed off my insights and questions as if I were attention-seeking. He even said I had obsessive compulsive disorder. I felt like I was going to die. My PCP did some tests, and wanted to do further testing that he was able to order that she couldn't, and he basically said she didn't know what she was talking about, and ignored my request for a simple salivary test. After the drug dosage debacle it seemed like he was trying to hide blame. I seriously think this guy is starting to losing his marbles.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2017

Ordered labs that were NOT covered by my insurance & didn't tell me. When I found out, I asked them to cancel the uncovered labs, they said they would. They DID NOT. And again, didn't tell me. Doctor told me to take multiple different supplements that he said would make me feel much better even tho he didn't know what was wrong. I got much, much sicker. I called him. He refused to return my call. Told receptionist to tell me not to do anything that makes me sicker. So I stopped going to detweiler

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

Confused me with another patient. Said I had symptoms I did not have, then said he did not remember my telling him about the symptoms I did have. Refused to call me back. Wanted to make ANOTHER appointment to talk about my symptoms that HE didn't listen to at the first appointment. WHAT? Avoid this guy.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2015

Best GI doctor in NH (ive been to many). He takes about 45 min during each visit to discuss symptoms etc., followed by a thorough exam. He is EXTREMELY thorough with testing. He doesnt just blind shoot symptoms with medications. He figures out the root cause and addresses the cause. He will discuss, in detail, all options of treatments available. He truly saved my life from a very serious intestinal problem that diagnosed as "IBS". Dr Detweiler knows IBS is a symptom, not a diagnosis. If i had just taken the IBS meds, prescribed by Dr Igari, i wouldnt be back to work and my life. Thank you Dr. Detweiler!

flag | Submitted July 22, 2014

He puts things like colonoscopies and CAT scans at the end of the list for diagnostics, and would only go to them as a last resort. He prescribes supplements, and tells me which websites to find them, so he's not driven by pharmaceutical companies to make an easy buck. He looks at the person as a whole, and wants to figure out the core cause of the issue, so it can be fixed and not just covered up. He's also really nice, and he's a runner and a hiker! He empathized how frustrating it must be that I can't run and hike as much as I want to, and said he would fight as long as I was willing to fight to figure out what was going on with me, that he will do all he can to get me back running better than ever. He told me that he's my "Gut Coach." He is exactly what I was hoping to find in a gastroenterologist, and he is very nice and knowledgeable! I would recommend him to everyone who need to see a GE specialist.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2014

After 8 years of having drugs shoved in my face, Dr. Detweiler is finally trying to get to the bottom of the causes of inflammation that create and aggravate my Colitis. Thanks, Dr. D!!!

flag | Submitted November 11, 2009

AFTER MANY ATTEMPTS AT FEELING LESS BLOATED AND AWFUL, DR. DETWEILER DID SOME UNUSUAL TESTING WITH MY BLOOD AND FOUND FOOD ALLERGIES WERE THE CULPRIT. HATS OFF TO DR. DETWEILER. HE IS THE BEST

flag | Submitted June 1, 2009

After being admitted to the hospital from the emergency room for one diagnosis, Dr. Detweiler came in the next day and sat with me for about an hour to get a detailed history. The correct diagnosis was made nearly 24 hrs later after surgery. Life has been awesome since! My Crohn's is now completely under control through the use of diet modification and supplement use. Don't knock the supplement use for treatment until you've tried it. It takes a while to find the right combo, but once there it's like nothing you've ever experienced before! I've been in complete remission for about 5 years now, and I don't ever want to experience another full flare ever. And thanks to the Dr., I don't think I'll ever see another major flare again. :-)

flag | Submitted March 9, 2009

Tries to get to the root cause of the complaint, not just surface treatments.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2009

The most amazing staff always kind and friendly. Dr. Detweiler is the only doctor that found what I had after 6 years of being misdiagnosed. Extremly kind and patient and understanding. Very knowledgeable and willing to look at alternative remedies to treat the problem.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2008

Dr. Mark K. Detweiler's Credentials

• Pennsylvania State University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1979)

Carefirst Bcbs