Ratings for Dr. James A. Charles

I had to see Dr. Charles for a WC case and I have to say that he is one of the worst doctor I have been treated with. Was performing an evaluation on me, did not know anything about my history, was trapped between my high blood pressure and headache that I had at that moment and an insurance company NCM who was direting my care from the next door room without been a doctor, I was listening to his conversation with her because the rooms are small and next to each other. I explained how I was feeling and doctor stopped me, was screaming and said, "I do not know what is wrong with you, go see someone else and good bye" dr. Charles sent me on my own with such a high blood pressure that I could it end up with a heart attack. I couldn't drive and had to seat in the car for two hours, cried, called my current treating neurologist who was not available. After, I was picked up by a family member to see another provider. Other provider was able to see that there was an adverse effect in current medications and that was the reason for such a high blood pressure. I called the office the next morning and spoke to Andrea, she was so profesional and understanding, said that she will give the message to dr. Charles but she did not think that he would call me back because this is a WC case and he only deals with insurance carriers. I will not recommend this unprofessional doctor to anyone, it is clear that this unprofessional provider only works for the payer and does not care about the patient. Thanks

Submitted April 20, 2017

Kind office staff, answers questions, phones promptly. Friendly nurses, knowledgeable and helpful with my insurance issues. Dr. Charles very smart, skilled and best doctor for my neurology problems. He is the best!

flag | Submitted July 3, 2016

I had to see this dr due to workman's compensation. I had been hospitalized for my injury and needed his note to return to work. This doctor YELLED at me the entire visit-he yelled about my past medical history which had no relation to this diagnosis and he yelled about the doctors at the hospital. I cried all the way home. Find someone else who is professional. Then you can trust what they are saying.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2015

Horrible experience, never put any money in this man's pocket. It is clearly all he is after. I sent the following message to his office after my one and only visit: I visited your office for the first time this morning. I have never experienced such poor treatment or had a worse overall experience with a "trained physician" in my entire life. I have seen 12 doctors in 3 states over the last 5 years for my back injury and Mr. Charles was by far the worst human I've ever dealt with in relation to this matter. I refuse to refer to him as “Dr.” as that would be an insult to the entire medical profession. I came to your office because the neurologist I was referred to by Valley Hospital ER was not covered by my insurance. I made an appointment with Mr. Charles two weeks ago after finding him on my insurance website. Never once was I asked to bring the films from my latest MRI's with me to my appointment. Not when it was first scheduled, not when the appointment was confirmed the day prior, and the subject was never raised as I sat and waited for an hour to be seen. As I sat in the exam room, I heard Mr. Charles pick up my chart and then go off on a rant (I'm assuming this was directed at the receptionist, and I also assume this was in reaction to me not having been referred by another doctor or having my MRI films with me). But he came in to see me nonetheless. During the 8 minutes he spent with me, he would not allow me to even so much as finish a sentence without interrupting me. Rude does not begin to describe his behavior. He basically weaseled his way around giving me a legitimate consultation and dismissed my issue as "probably shingles with no sign of a rash" as if I had never heard that before. He slapped a prescription for lidocane patches in my hand and rushed me out the door. So basically, he knew the appointment was pointless before he came in to see me but proceeded to do just enough to pretend as if he had done anything because they had already processed my copay. I'm sure he had a game of golf to get to. I realize my effort in writing this message is most likely futile, as it would take longer to read this than the amount of time I spent with the good doctor, but I decided to reach out anyway in case Mr. Charles decides to act like a respectable human being for a day. Again, I have never in my life been treated this way and you should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing something like this to happen. Wasting my time and hard-earned money because someone in your office dropped the ball and doesn't know how to do their job properly.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Great doctor, pleasant staff. Will continue with his care.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

Dr.Charles was the only Doctor to cure my Migraines. Liz and Jocelyn are great! Been a patient for years and will continue to be.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Kind, compassionate and extremely intelligent! Office staff professional, dedicated and helpful with scheduling appointments and procedures. The best neurologist, rated top doctor yearly. Phones answered promptly by a real person immediately. 201 858 2457 Convenient office locations, Bayonne and North Bergen NJ.

Submitted September 4, 2014

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

This was the worst doctor I have EVER been to!! He automatically assumed he knew what I had before even looking at my MRI scans. He dismissed all possible diagnosis's because "i'm so young"; yes being young MUST mean I have to be healthy. He sent me home and I instantly saw another Neurologist who found the problem and ACTUALLY listened to me and did tests; while Dr. Charles did NONE of these things. stay away please do not waste your time.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2014

Dr. James A. Charles's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Medical School (Grad. 1978)