You may also like

I had to see this dr due to workman's compensation. I had been hospitalized for my injury and needed his note to return to work. This doctor YELLED at me the entire visit-he yelled about my past medical history which had no relation to this diagnosis and he yelled about the doctors at the hospital. I cried all the way home. Find someone else who is professional. Then you can trust what they are saying.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2015

Horrible experience, never put any money in this man's pocket. It is clearly all he is after. I sent the following message to his office after my one and only visit: I visited your office for the first time this morning. I have never experienced such poor treatment or had a worse overall experience with a "trained physician" in my entire life. I have seen 12 doctors in 3 states over the last 5 years for my back injury and Mr. Charles was by far the worst human I've ever dealt with in relation to this matter. I refuse to refer to him as “Dr.” as that would be an insult to the entire medical profession. I came to your office because the neurologist I was referred to by Valley Hospital ER was not covered by my insurance. I made an appointment with Mr. Charles two weeks ago after finding him on my insurance website. Never once was I asked to bring the films from my latest MRI's with me to my appointment. Not when it was first scheduled, not when the appointment was confirmed the day prior, and the subject was never raised as I sat and waited for an hour to be seen. As I sat in the exam room, I heard Mr. Charles pick up my chart and then go off on a rant (I'm assuming this was directed at the receptionist, and I also assume this was in reaction to me not having been referred by another doctor or having my MRI films with me). But he came in to see me nonetheless. During the 8 minutes he spent with me, he would not allow me to even so much as finish a sentence without interrupting me. Rude does not begin to describe his behavior. He basically weaseled his way around giving me a legitimate consultation and dismissed my issue as "probably shingles with no sign of a rash" as if I had never heard that before. He slapped a prescription for lidocane patches in my hand and rushed me out the door. So basically, he knew the appointment was pointless before he came in to see me but proceeded to do just enough to pretend as if he had done anything because they had already processed my copay. I'm sure he had a game of golf to get to. I realize my effort in writing this message is most likely futile, as it would take longer to read this than the amount of time I spent with the good doctor, but I decided to reach out anyway in case Mr. Charles decides to act like a respectable human being for a day. Again, I have never in my life been treated this way and you should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing something like this to happen. Wasting my time and hard-earned money because someone in your office dropped the ball and doesn't know how to do their job properly.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Great doctor, pleasant staff. Will continue with his care.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2015

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Kind, compassionate and extremely intelligent! Office staff professional, dedicated and helpful with scheduling appointments and procedures. The best neurologist, rated top doctor yearly. Phones answered promptly by a real person immediately. 201 858 2457 Convenient office locations, Bayonne and North Bergen NJ.

Submitted September 4, 2014

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

This was the worst doctor I have EVER been to!! He automatically assumed he knew what I had before even looking at my MRI scans. He dismissed all possible diagnosis's because "i'm so young"; yes being young MUST mean I have to be healthy. He sent me home and I instantly saw another Neurologist who found the problem and ACTUALLY listened to me and did tests; while Dr. Charles did NONE of these things. stay away please do not waste your time.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2014

I can't believe this man has MD after his name! He is the worst physician I have ever seen. I am the CEO of a big coorportation in NYC, which I'm not stating should matter but I happen to pride myself of excellent costomer serive and honesty. My 18 year old son who suffers from Epilepsy since birth was told by Dr. Charles that he does not have epilepsy but that he has MS. My son was tested by NY top docs, had EEG's, spinal taps, blood work..you name it he had it, but yet Dr. Charles haveing all this information(results) states he is the best Neuro in the tri state, takes my son off his meds, causing him to have a massive seizure! I will never bring my son thre agai and will not recommend him to anyone...stay away!!!!!

flag | Submitted March 26, 2013

flag | Submitted June 25, 2012

Dr. James A. Charles's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Medical School (Grad. 1978)

HealthPartners
Workers Comp

Updates

• A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "I had to see this dr due to workman's compensation. I had been hospitalized for my injury and needed his note to return to work. This doctor YELLED at me the ..."

November 19, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Horrible experience, never put any money in this man's pocket. It is clearly all he is after. I sent the following message to his office after my one and only..."

May 14, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Great doctor, pleasant staff. Will continue with his care."

February 10, 2015
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "Dr.Charles was the only Doctor to cure my Migraines. Liz and Jocelyn are great! Been a patient for years and will continue to be."

November 20, 2014
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Kind, compassionate and extremely intelligent! Office staff professional, dedicated and helpful with scheduling appointments and procedures. The best neurologi..."

September 4, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' rating (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=32127'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 4.1

February 5, 2014