Ratings for Dr. Harry Potasznik

I had a very similar experience to the reviewer who posted on May 1st. There is something that does not make sense about Dr Potasznik's ratings and the accolades he has received here. I also found our sessions to be more about gossip than about him asking thoughtful, provocative questions. I actually got the sense that having me as a patient was more about his needs (financial, emotional perhaps) than mine. In short, I have worked with and learned from some great therapists and Dr Potasznik was not one of them! Not helpful in the least.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

I picked this doctor due to his high ratings on this web site, but my experience was very different. After asking some pretty personal (but rather banal) questions Dr. Potasznik kept talking about himself, his relatives, and other patients. All his observations and statements sounded more like a gossip rather than a professional insight. I thought this is how he wanted to know me better. But then he started to cut his sessions really short. He did seem like a nice person but somehow this all did not make any sense...

flag | Submitted May 1, 2015

Dr. Potasznik has assisted me to quickly overcome a very depressive time of my life, in which I did neither feel competent nor confident. He helped me find the strength that I had lost but knew that I once had. I like his straightforward and candid approach. He is very accommodating in terms of time for appointments. I saw Dr. Potasznik a few times after contacting EAP in the end of last year, but would definitely seek his assistance directly if I need a psychologist again.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2015

I saw Dr. Potasznik for 3 consecutive years on my own between 2010-12 when I was single, lonely, lost as to my life trajectory, all the while dependant on "unhealthy" crutches as coping mechanisms, & overall being confronted with a variety of personal & professional angst. It was difficult at first to admit to myself that I had to seek help to change my quality of life as I am an established & successful professional in my field. But Dr. P created great comfort, ease, and trust from our first session & onwards. I also saw Dr. P again during the Spring of 2014 with my partner (yes, thanx to Dr. P I was able to stop attracting "bad" relationship matches, & finally reached a healthy place to meet someone incredibly compatible!). My partner & I met Dr. P for 4 sessions when we went through "family planning" issues & he helped greatly to help up see & accept both sides & provide solutions for us to openly discuss & confront a relationship hurdle. We were provided with relationship communication of utmost importance to ensure that we could overcome that hurdle. Which we have. And it's now been three years of very strong & healthy communication between my partner & I as we both share the same trajectory of mutual love, respect, & loving integrity towards one another. Two of my friends have also gone to Dr. Potasznik as I highly recommended him. He's empathetic, a good listener, provides incredibly helpful insight, interjects when needed, gave good strategies & coping mechanisms, no gruelling unnecessarily draining cognitive exercises (unless one asks I suppose…? which I did occasionally) & no understandable psycho babble. He's practical; caters to what you need & want, but goes much deeper (when mutually agreed between dr & patient). He's a good, soft, & unwavering guide that way. "Harder" when he needs to be. There were times when I'd ask him to talk more than me, & other times I'd get to sessions and say: "I need to talk & unload for quite a bit before you speak please…" ;-) Sometimes I wanted control, sometimes I wanted/needed to relinquish it. Most times in between. ;-) It was a healthy therapy dance that way! We developed quite a good collaborative relationship. That's the word I was looking for: it was a **collaboration**. It was actually sad for me to stop seeing Dr. P because I looked forward to our sessions but… there came the time when the "work" was done. At least for now. ;-) If ever life throws me life hurdles that require professional insight, Dr. P is the one! But in the meantime, he has provided me with incredibly helpful long-lasting insight. He truly brought out my full potential & has deeply contributed to my enhanced quality of life & my "new" & now on-going approach to how to cope with anything "negative" & "unexpected" that comes my way. I am deeply grateful & thankful that he's been part of my life's journey.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

Harry is the doctor you want to provide reasonable and rational guidance through difficult times. He gets down to the root cause(s) in no time and helps build strategies & tactics around them. You won't be disappointed.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2015

Dr. Potasznik worked with me through a very difficult period in an intelligent and perceptive manner. There is no fooling around with complicated theories, no simple solutions - just solid support and insight based on many years of working with people. He balances a gentle approach with pointed questioning. I learned at great deal about myself and longstanding emotional issues while at the same time as working clearly through a marriage breakup, week by week. I feel much stronger and certain that I am better prepared to deal with life, not just because I am though the hard stuff, but because he has helped me to experience life more fully with a better balance.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2015

I have been dealing with Dr P for almost 20 yrs. off and on. He has helped me grow from an angry working mother, to a calmer person. Between burn out from the Corporate World and a family of 3 children with health issues, he was able to make me see the better side of life. We now have 3 well rounded adults, and life is so much better for my husband and I. Dr. P. helped me talk things out and rationalize how things should be for our family and I'm greatful for it. I drop in periodically and not as often anymore, but I know the door is always open.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2015

Dr. P is a lovely, caring, smart man who truly gives a sh*t about the people with whom he works. We are working hard together through layers of issues, and I feel as though I have another person on 'my team' thanks to his sincere concern and care for my wellbeing. I've recommended Dr. P to several people and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

I have worked with several therapists over the years and Harry stands out as one of the best I have ever worked with. During the years that I saw him, I learned so much about myself and how to overcome the challenges I was facing in my personal life. He offered more than just a kind and compassionate ear; by gently challenging me with different perspectives and encouraging me to change my self-sabotaging behaviours. Harry's dedication to helping others to live full and happy lives is unwavering. His depth of knowledge, compassion, wisdom and good sense of humour are just a few of the qualities he brings to his work. Although it has been several years since I saw him, I often think - "what would Harry say"? when I am confronted with a difficult situation in my personal life. That to me is the sign of an amazing professional! I feel blessed that I met Harry when I did, and I have no hesitation in referring others to him.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015

I rated Dr. Potasznik as a five in all categories for the following reasons: He is the only staff there is but he is always on top of all transactions. Whatever I needed whether it was reading material, a letter, references, referrals, he was on it immediately and more efficiently than any other Dr.'s office . He is always on time and if there was any change needed due to a emergency conflict or illness he tried every communication avenue to make sure I as not inconvenience. Dr. Potasznik was referred to me through my medical plan at work at the most desperate time in my life. I had just become a single parent of three daughters, working and extremely challenged in trying to remain motivated and positive. He is extremely knowledgeable about resources, recommended some really great reading material, referred me to additional support systems and supported me in terms of my employer. I do not believe I could have survived the problems I was dealing with and work through stabilizing life for my children without his help. I have referred a few employees to him with nothing but positive results. He is truly outstanding in his field.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015