Ratings for Dr. Harry Potasznik

Dr. Potasznik helped me for almost two years after returning to work from a stress leave. Thanks to Dr. P I was able to manage the situation until I retired and I made a very happy and healthy transition. He is sympathetic but a diplomatic straight shooter. My sense of self-worth came out of the cellar. All of that was exactly what I was looking for.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

I have seen Dr. Potasznik for about a year. I went to him after my anxiety and depression required me to take some time off work. He helped me set goals, get back to work, and to push myself to look at some toxic and unhelpful patterns and influences in my life. He is experienced, extremely intelligent and really insightful. If you are confused by other less complimentary reviews about him on this site, you should know that you will connect with this doctor only if you truly want to do the work to get better. He will call you out and will not let you avoid issues or wallow in your own self pity. He does recognize that some things hurt, but is there to help you work through them, not to coddle you. This results-oriented therapy was exactly what I needed, and with Dr. Potasznik's navigation, I am better than I have ever been, and I am extremely grateful to him.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

My experience with Dr. Harry Potasznik dates back to the late 1990's, plus I have returned to him for help with a current issue - he is a caring, empathetic individual who always takes the time needed to help to get to the root of the problem. His professional expertise, combined with his caring and supportive attitude, was instrumental in helping me through a divorce plus provided a solid foundation which allowed me to safely process childhood issues. I couldn't recommend him more highly and will always turn to him in a situation where professional services are required to support me in living my life to the fullest.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2016

I cannot express the disappointment I have experienced with him.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

I've been meaning to write this review for a while now. I went to Dr. Potasznik at a point in my life when I was feeling very low. A serious 8 year relationship had just ended along with other various issues. I had one decent session with him where I explained everything I was going through and all my history. In the very next session he fell asleep in the middle of our conversation. It was very strange, he kept waking up, asking me something that made no sense after what I had previously said and then falling asleep again. He then ended the session 20 minutes early with no explanation and still charged me the full amount. It was only after I sent him an email telling him I was very confused as to what had happened and asked him to please reschedule in the future if he was that tired, that he explained why he had fallen asleep. He was very apologetic and asked me to come back for another session free of charge. I thought that was the decent thing to do and agreed. He then proceeded to cancel my next session twice at the last minute without even an apology - his email cancellations were very abrupt (one sentence). I found the whole experience very unprofessional especially at a time when you're already feeling vulnerable and I would not recommend this therapist to anyone.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

I have been having extreme anxiety/panic, suffered immense childhood trauma and needed the support and expertise of a professional to help me continue to navigate my life as it was getting too difficult. The greatest challenge was who to see and how to find someone. I looked at RateMD website and saw that Dr. Heinmaa was #1 with 12 reviews dating back to 2008 and Dr. Potasznik was #2 with 54 reviews all since 2011. I was hesitant as there was a somewhat scathing review on Dr. Potasznik dealing with very similar issues as myself but since he had over three times the amount of reviews and all more recent I tried him. My first visit told me immediately that I had made the right choice. Dr. Potasznik was kind, empathetic, intelligent and challenging. Not only was he attentive, he also interacted in such a supportive way I found myself feeling safe and opening up. I see him now on a consistent basis and value his support, feedback and insights. Working in an emotional place is not an easy thing to do but I am already feeling the benefits from putting in the work. Dr. Potasznik's skill has become evident through our interaction and through my tears, anger, rage and guilt I have cleared enough space to find a little happiness. My issues are complex, they go back far and are complicated. I will be in therapy for quite awhile and I am grateful to Dr. Potasznik for having the skill and commitment to help me address my issues successfully.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

Saw Dr. Potasznik for a short time this year after four panic attacks in 2015. I liked him immediately. Found him easy to talk to and looked forward to my time with him. I think we addressed my issues well. They seemed to get much better anyway. If necessary, I'd return to him again in a second.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

I have been Dr Potasznik for two years. When I first went to his office, my social anxiety is so severe that I could not attend lectures. He referred me to psychiatrist and was later diagnosed ADD. If he never refer me to Dr Hoffer, I am not sure how long my ADD will be left untreated. Non of the doctors and psychologist or psychiatrist suspect that I have ADD. He saved my life. I am now functioning fully, attending all the lectures, completing my internship and balancing my work and social life. Without his help, I am sure I will not be who I am today. I might already have been dropped out from engineering at University of Toronto., Now I am doing well in class and excited to achieve more in the future.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2015

I went to see Dr. Potasznik based on the ratings on this site. I suspect there may have been issues going on in his life at the time because my experience doesn't reflect these reviews. I only saw him twice but he cancelled last minute a number of times with me. He called me finally to reschedule but I was such a mess from his first two sessions, I decided to stop. I am new to therapy but in the last while, I have become acutely aware that something is amiss with me. When I arrived to see Dr. Potasznik, this confusion was at a tipping point and there were moments when thoughts of suicide were front and centre. After the two sessions with Dr. Potasznik and cancellations. I spilled into a very deep depression and became afraid to leave the house or go to work. My partner encouraged me to seek more therapy and together we went to see a couples therapist. Who within ten mins of our session, referred me to the women's college childhood trauma therapy program. In the program I learned that Dr. Potasznik's approach in those two sessions had me "relive" a tremendous amount of childhood trauma and is considered a very dangerous approach with patients with my life experiences. I left his sessions sobbing and unable to breathe. During the end of one session, Dr. Potasznik without much compassion asked me why I was crying. I hadn't seeked help for the abuse I suffered as a child because I had buried it so deep inside me. To have a professional ask to explain my emotional reaction is absurd. I am crying because I have suffered a tremendous amount of abuse as a child and it is effecting my life to this day. I am grateful for finding psychologists that have experience in trauma therapy. Improving oneself is difficult but the worst is behind me and I have the opportunity to live my life in a healthier and more authentic way. I would encourage Dr. Potasznik and others, if you lack experience with a certain population to refer out. He seemed like a very nice person just likely not aware of the types of therapies and resources available to people in my situation.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2015

Over a four year period I had weekly sessions with Dr. Potasznik which resulted in an overall improved sense of well being and confidence. Most importantly, he helped me learn to manage a very difficult relationship I have had with my mother since childhood, as well as cope with my anxiety over various issues such as parenting, work, school, and my relationship with my husband. I am also thankful he was able to identify that my intense frustration with work might be remedied with a graduate education, which I undertook, and though difficult, Dr. Potasznik helped me persevere. Now I feel much more fulfilled with my career. Dr. Potasznik is intelligent, an excellent listener, and has a great sense of humour, all qualities which kept me coming to his office for so long!

flag | Submitted August 24, 2015