You may also like

Rate Dr. David Donaldson

Dr. David Donaldson's Ratings

I was in a MVA in 2009 (age 27) and was in a lot of pain up by my ear/jaw. Right after the car hit my jaw started to clunk (felt like it was dislocating) every time I opened my mouth. I would be in tears if I yawned, sneezed it hurt so badly. At night I would wake up from the pressure on my jaw from lying on my side. Somehow I went two years with limited speaking (not opening my mouth much and eating mush diet) and not much sleep. I had spent over 500 dollars with an orthodontist for a top mouth stint. I was so happy because for the 2 weeks I had the stint my pain was gone but when I went in for the follow up they snipped the metal connectors from the appliance and said it was not meant for long term use it was a diagnostic tool and I had TMJ that was it for me emotionally. I was exhausted and cried because for the first time I had found some pain relief and slept. In 2011 my lawyer referred me to Dr. Donaldson and I was very apprehensive only because ICBC was not covering anything and I had to come up with the consultation fee and visit fees on my own with no guarantee that we would settle.
I gave in and went to see Dr. Donaldson. I probably cried as I explained my situation and what I had tried to get my jaw to stop clunking and being painful but he listened and took notes. I had gone through massage with finger gloves pushing on the inside of my jaw (sooo painful), chiropractic, laser, orthodontist who really said surgery was the only option for my jaw...I felt like this part of my body could never heal because you always have to use your mouth. Dr. Donaldson was very considerate and never rude to me so I was shocked when I saw people saying this about him. He does have a sense of humor though which could maybe be taken the wrong way maybe. I can kind of see why he might feel frustrated with patients not listening though. In my experience, I was told to wear my mouth stint all the time for two weeks straight and then to come see him again. While I was in the waiting room a lady asked me how I was finding the treatment and I said I was so happy because the pain was gone. She asked what kind I had and I said lower jaw and pointed to my mouth. She replied "oh yes the same as me but its not working" and pulled out her retainer that was in the case from her purse and looked like it had never been worn before. I am going to guess that he gets to see many patients that lie right to his face that they are wearing it as suggested and then show him a clean mouth guard. Not saying everyone is not following the doctors orders but I could see him being frustrated with someone saying it isn't helping when they are not even wearing it. I had a million questions for him including whether or not I should do the jaw surgery and he was patient and explained every question to me. I don't understand why people would second guess or question him after all he is the specialist. He has a lot of awards and credentials as well as experience. Overall, I would highly recommend anyone to see Dr. Donaldson first before an orthodontist or massage, phsio etc...he is not covered by medical but I would pay the price again to get these pain free results. I cannot thank Dr. Donaldson enough for giving me a pain free life back. I recommend him to anyone that has jaw/ TMJ trouble and I actually worry about when he retires!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2880631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 29, 2015

I had a sever clicking/clunking on both sides of my jaw, every time my jaw moved it would click or clunk. My own dentist Dr. Pollock recommended me to Dr. David Donaldson in Victoria BC. My first appointment in September 2013, I was examined and diagnosed with a Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorder. Dr. Donaldson explained and showed me, what was causing my annoying clicking and clucking. On my return a plastic splint was placed over my lower teeth and to be worn all the time except while eating. Yes, I was apprehensive as we all are spending money and wondering, will this solve my annoying problem. January 2014, my clicking and clunking is completely gone. My wife and I can not express our appreciation and thank you to Dr. Donaldson for taking the time and his professional care necessary to repair my problem. I would highly recommend if your jaw is clicking see Dr. David Donaldson. He is very kind, gently and gracious, thank you again Dr. Donaldson.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176054].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2014

Avoid this one , he did no tests, just made the standard splint........... Such arrogance . He hates to be questioned and when wrong he gets angry. Slimy !

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][176053].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 6, 2013

Although Dr. Donaldson was friendly and engaging, he did not like it when I questioned his diagnosis, asking if there were any possible other explanations for my tmj. After emailing him a few follow-up questions, he emailed me back, answering my questions, but also stating that he did not want to pursue treatment with me because I wasn't fully convinced of the treatment. He does not like his opinions questioned, and instead of talking further with me and giving me more information (and I was approachable and reasonable) chose to off me as a patient. I basically paid a lot of money to be told 'this is what the problem is and if you don't blindly agree, I want nothing to do with you'.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][176052].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 4, 2012

Dr. Donaldson is the most experienced person I know of in treating TMJ disorder. I first saw him in 2005 after having little success with other dental professionals. Dr. Donaldson fitted me with a new appliance and I only needed three follow up adjustment visits. It is different for everyone, some people need to go longer depending on the severity of their condition. Dr. Donaldson is kind, compassionate and dedicated to getting his patients well again. I am now getting a new appliance after having been injured again in an auto accident and Dr. Donaldson was the first person I consulted and is certainly the most knowledgeable. I highly recommend him. I have read some of the other posts on here and having now known Dr. Donaldson for seven years I can't imagine anyone saying anything negative. My physiotherapist originally recommended Dr Donaldson to me and has told me so many of his clients have achieved great success in managing their TMj disorder. Happy he has a VIctoria Clinic now!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176051].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 3, 2012

Dr. Donaldson is great. I have never met a more knowledgeable and professional specialist when it comes to TMJ dental issues. He knows his stuff. I highly recommend him. Dean

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176050].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2011

I went for a year he fixed my pain I have been pain free for 8 years now I was at the point I had lock jaw & had daily neck & head pain. I will always be thankful to him! Worth the effort!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176049].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 16, 2011

This man has a one size fits all approach to TMJ pain. He becomes very rude and arrogant if the splint treatments don't work. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][176048].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 12, 2011

Dr.Donaldson is very good always takes the time to explain,alway gives extra time if needed

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176047].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 5, 2011

He is thorough and very experienced. Explained my treatments in easy to understand language. Took the time to answer all my questions in detail. Would recommend him to family and friends.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][176046].votes_count ]]