Ratings for Dr. Timothy Tam

Do not take your kids here! Dr Tam is unethical and mean. I have seen him make many kids cry. After switching dentists and seeing other specialists, they are appalled to see the work that was done. You know when someone is just in it for money.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2018

DON'T take your kids there...........................................

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

Absolute garbage. If I could rate their staff negative stars I would. I went to have my wisdom teeth removed and drove an hour only to be told when I arrived that there was an emergency and they had to extend the wait time to 2 hours for every patient that came in. Nobody called me to notify me and when I asked about it they said the emergency "just came in" when there were 2 patients already waiting and she clearly looked like she was lying. Also get this: when I had to be put under for my wisdom teeth extraction, my boyfriend overheard the anesthesiologist complaining about the place saying how they're so disorganised! Even other professionals hate this place! Anyway fast forward 2 weeks later where my employer allowed me to apply for short-term disability due to the extended period I was away to recover from the wisdom teeth extraction, I forwarded them a form to be filled out and they wouldn't do it claiming that it had to be filled out by the family doctor. I had spoken to the claims person previously and double checked that either one could fill it out but they refused, completely fixated on the word "physician". Also I had sent them the form a week ago and not only did they not email or call me back to let me know they couldn't (more like didn't want to) fill out the form, due to this prolonged period of time they stalled without letting me know what was going on, the claims place had to close my claim. Every time I've gone to see them I've felt like they're just a money grabbing clinic who don't care about their patients at all. That's the reason why I hadn't gone in over 6 years which means I already had this impression of them when I was only a teen! I am switching ASAP. Also, don't bother with their inquiry forms on their website. They don't reply you on that either.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

I went to Dr. Timothy Tams office and was happy with the service provided. I always received are reminder for cleanings and checkups in the mail. When I went for my appointment everything went smoothly. The cleaning was excellent and everything done promptly. Then like a smooth efficient plan, I was sent right in for exrays, and then to see Dr. Timothy Tam for treatment. The dental work was efficient and excellently done and lasted years and years with no problem (thankful). And Dr. Timothy Tam has a big heart for people even though you might not always agree, Dr. Timothy Tam does his best to make his patients happy. Overall, I would say this is the best dentist I ever saw. Not saying anyone is perfect, It is just that I was always grateful for the good work done. So five stars on everything here.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Timothy Tam for 30 years and have always had excellent care. He is very knowledgeable and genuinely cares for his patients. I started seeing Dr. Tam when I was 10 years old. Through orthodontics, he corrected a huge gap in my teeth and my overbite. Even though I live in the tri-cities, I make the trip to Vancouver because I trust Dr. Tam, and he now cares for my son's teeth as well. Recently my son had a fall and had to get 4 stitches in his mouth and damaged 2 of his teeth. I called the Emergency line and Dr. Tam kindly came into the office on his day off, did an xray and exam and prescribed some medication that immediately took down the swelling in my son's lip. If you read Dr. Tam's credential's it is easy to see how knowledgeable he is.....and on top of working very hard, he volunteers at the Eastside Dental Free Clinic. It is nice to go to a family run dental office with his daughter and two sons working there as well. Dr. Isaac is great as well.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Timothy Tam for many years and have no complaints. He is a consummate professional. The receptionist Annie has worked there a very long time and she is efficient and personable. His legacy carries on with his 3 children, all dentists. My favourite would be Dr. Samuel Tam (pediatric dentist) and Dr. Esther Tam (periodontics). I notice that the office is not as busy as it used to be and I wonder about that. There seems to be a lot of negative comment here. Dr. Timothy Tam has built a reputation of good service and competency. I would hope that his legacy continues with his children. Only time will tell.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

Awful. Aggressive with children including mine. Their main receptionist is rude to clients and rude to her much younger colleagues.She obviously has been there way too long that she hates her job. I do not recommend this dentist at all.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Tam since I was a kid, never had any problems from his work.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Timothy Tam by my dentist (she does not treat children). I'm really happy with my dentist so I was expecting great things from Dr. T. Tam. I was terribly disappointed on my first visit. He was very rude to his office staff (I was surprised she didn't quit). I've only been to this office during quite times so my experience with the office staff has so far been fine. They are not the best but they are ok. The office is borderline tire and borderline clean. Even though Dr. Tam is a pediatric dentist I don't find him that great with children. My kids seemed OK with the experience so I thought I would just tuff it out till my kids were old enough that I could take them to my dentist. I think we've been going to him for the past 5 years. We were doing fine until my youngest developed two tiny dark spots on his baby teeth and Mr. Tam jumped into fill and drill mode. We use xylitol as part of my son's oral health regime to help prevent cavities. I believe the xylitol is doing its job and as a result caused some staining on his teeth. Mr. Tam didn't give me a straight answer on whether the spots were staining or cavities. He also didn't give me a straight answer when I asked how much longer my son would have the tooth for. Instead he handed me a brochure. I had to read the brochure to find out that that particular baby tooth would fall out when my son was around 11 to 12 years old. So the tooth had to last 7 to 8 years. The spots in my son's teeth developed over a 6 month period so I'm more inclined to think they are stains then cavities as cavities don't develop that fast. Moreover, on a 3.5 year old I'm not prepared to jump into drill and fill mode unless we are out of options. I asked Mr. Tam if we could wait a bit to see if the xylitol combined with floride would arrest the cavity. He made me feel like I was a terrible mother and said flat out in an accusatory voice "you want to wait till it's bigger?" I'm pretty sure this was meant to make me feel bad and pressure me into a quick decision to drill and fill. Drilling and filling probably won't have solved the problem in any case because my son has deep pockets on his teeth (I know as I have these too) and it is likely further cavities would develop in this area (assuming these are cavities) unless the pockets were sealed. He then told me that my son had soft enamel on the same tooth and proceeded to stick his dental prob into my son's tooth. This was the last straw. I'm aware that our tooth enamel goes through softening and hardening stages depending on our diet and hormones. Moreover, a dentist should never stick his dental prob into a soft tooth as that creates another hole for dental caries to form. I asked Dr. Tam if he were to clean the area and apply a dental sealant which contained Floride if this would work. He said it would. Then I asked which was a better alternative, drill and fill or sealant. He said the sealant. I'm left to wonder why the less invasive procedure wasn't suggested in the first place. Particularly on a rather young child. Throughout this discussion he walked off several times and left me standing there with his assistant and my kids. There were no other patients at the time and the sealant procedure would have taken 15 minutes. He said I would have to book another appointment and come back another day. I'm glad he did because it gave me time to think about the situation. I've decided to seek out a better pediatric dentist for my kids. I could be wrong and my son may have a cavity in which case I will take appropriate action before it gets bigger. As Dr. Tam pointed out my son has soft enamel on that tooth and we need to strengthen the enamel on that tooth before attempting a filing in any case (as the filing is likely to fall out if it is attached to soft enamel). I wouldn't recommend him as a pediatric dentist because I think he is too aggressive in his treatment when more conservative (and effective) treatment options are available for young children. I don't think any parent likes to be bullied into make a decision, we like to be informed and given options to make the best decision for us and our children.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

By transfer of a Philipine dentist, I bring my boy to see Dr.Tam for treating teeth first time in Vancouver. After the whole treatment I found Dr. Tam is bad dentist. He refused to give me any treatment estimate in advance, he kicked the ball between his staff and him when I had a question, he hurt and bullied my boy when my boy was nearly crying by threatening my boy no more cry as well as me no more complaint. In the end he charged me the highest price according to my local friends' experiences. If possible I am willing to launch a lawsuit against Dr. Timothy Tam in Vancouver, BC.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2016