Ratings for Dr. Timothy Tam

I went to Dr. Timothy Tams office and was happy with the service provided. I always received are reminder for cleanings and checkups in the mail. When I went for my appointment everything went smoothly. The cleaning was excellent and everything done promptly. Then like a smooth efficient plan, I was sent right in for exrays, and then to see Dr. Timothy Tam for treatment. The dental work was efficient and excellently done and lasted years and years with no problem (thankful). And Dr. Timothy Tam has a big heart for people even though you might not always agree, Dr. Timothy Tam does his best to make his patients happy. Overall, I would say this is the best dentist I ever saw. Not saying anyone is perfect, It is just that I was always grateful for the good work done. So five stars on everything here.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Timothy Tam for 30 years and have always had excellent care. He is very knowledgeable and genuinely cares for his patients. I started seeing Dr. Tam when I was 10 years old. Through orthodontics, he corrected a huge gap in my teeth and my overbite. Even though I live in the tri-cities, I make the trip to Vancouver because I trust Dr. Tam, and he now cares for my son's teeth as well. Recently my son had a fall and had to get 4 stitches in his mouth and damaged 2 of his teeth. I called the Emergency line and Dr. Tam kindly came into the office on his day off, did an xray and exam and prescribed some medication that immediately took down the swelling in my son's lip. If you read Dr. Tam's credential's it is easy to see how knowledgeable he is.....and on top of working very hard, he volunteers at the Eastside Dental Free Clinic. It is nice to go to a family run dental office with his daughter and two sons working there as well. Dr. Isaac is great as well.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Timothy Tam for many years and have no complaints. He is a consummate professional. The receptionist Annie has worked there a very long time and she is efficient and personable. His legacy carries on with his 3 children, all dentists. My favourite would be Dr. Samuel Tam (pediatric dentist) and Dr. Esther Tam (periodontics). I notice that the office is not as busy as it used to be and I wonder about that. There seems to be a lot of negative comment here. Dr. Timothy Tam has built a reputation of good service and competency. I would hope that his legacy continues with his children. Only time will tell.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

Awful. Aggressive with children including mine. Their main receptionist is rude to clients and rude to her much younger colleagues.She obviously has been there way too long that she hates her job. I do not recommend this dentist at all.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Tam since I was a kid, never had any problems from his work.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Timothy Tam by my dentist (she does not treat children). I'm really happy with my dentist so I was expecting great things from Dr. T. Tam. I was terribly disappointed on my first visit. He was very rude to his office staff (I was surprised she didn't quit). I've only been to this office during quite times so my experience with the office staff has so far been fine. They are not the best but they are ok. The office is borderline tire and borderline clean. Even though Dr. Tam is a pediatric dentist I don't find him that great with children. My kids seemed OK with the experience so I thought I would just tuff it out till my kids were old enough that I could take them to my dentist. I think we've been going to him for the past 5 years. We were doing fine until my youngest developed two tiny dark spots on his baby teeth and Mr. Tam jumped into fill and drill mode. We use xylitol as part of my son's oral health regime to help prevent cavities. I believe the xylitol is doing its job and as a result caused some staining on his teeth. Mr. Tam didn't give me a straight answer on whether the spots were staining or cavities. He also didn't give me a straight answer when I asked how much longer my son would have the tooth for. Instead he handed me a brochure. I had to read the brochure to find out that that particular baby tooth would fall out when my son was around 11 to 12 years old. So the tooth had to last 7 to 8 years. The spots in my son's teeth developed over a 6 month period so I'm more inclined to think they are stains then cavities as cavities don't develop that fast. Moreover, on a 3.5 year old I'm not prepared to jump into drill and fill mode unless we are out of options. I asked Mr. Tam if we could wait a bit to see if the xylitol combined with floride would arrest the cavity. He made me feel like I was a terrible mother and said flat out in an accusatory voice "you want to wait till it's bigger?" I'm pretty sure this was meant to make me feel bad and pressure me into a quick decision to drill and fill. Drilling and filling probably won't have solved the problem in any case because my son has deep pockets on his teeth (I know as I have these too) and it is likely further cavities would develop in this area (assuming these are cavities) unless the pockets were sealed. He then told me that my son had soft enamel on the same tooth and proceeded to stick his dental prob into my son's tooth. This was the last straw. I'm aware that our tooth enamel goes through softening and hardening stages depending on our diet and hormones. Moreover, a dentist should never stick his dental prob into a soft tooth as that creates another hole for dental caries to form. I asked Dr. Tam if he were to clean the area and apply a dental sealant which contained Floride if this would work. He said it would. Then I asked which was a better alternative, drill and fill or sealant. He said the sealant. I'm left to wonder why the less invasive procedure wasn't suggested in the first place. Particularly on a rather young child. Throughout this discussion he walked off several times and left me standing there with his assistant and my kids. There were no other patients at the time and the sealant procedure would have taken 15 minutes. He said I would have to book another appointment and come back another day. I'm glad he did because it gave me time to think about the situation. I've decided to seek out a better pediatric dentist for my kids. I could be wrong and my son may have a cavity in which case I will take appropriate action before it gets bigger. As Dr. Tam pointed out my son has soft enamel on that tooth and we need to strengthen the enamel on that tooth before attempting a filing in any case (as the filing is likely to fall out if it is attached to soft enamel). I wouldn't recommend him as a pediatric dentist because I think he is too aggressive in his treatment when more conservative (and effective) treatment options are available for young children. I don't think any parent likes to be bullied into make a decision, we like to be informed and given options to make the best decision for us and our children.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

By transfer of a Philipine dentist, I bring my boy to see Dr.Tam for treating teeth first time in Vancouver. After the whole treatment I found Dr. Tam is bad dentist. He refused to give me any treatment estimate in advance, he kicked the ball between his staff and him when I had a question, he hurt and bullied my boy when my boy was nearly crying by threatening my boy no more cry as well as me no more complaint. In the end he charged me the highest price according to my local friends' experiences. If possible I am willing to launch a lawsuit against Dr. Timothy Tam in Vancouver, BC.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2016

I wish this website was active when I was a child because I would have never set foot inside Dr. Timothy Tam's office. The receptionists are rude and the hygienist are terrible. Every time his hygienist flossed my teeth, my gums would be sore/bleeding and she would blame it on my tight gap between my teeth. After every cleaning my teeth would be sore for a week. I thought this was normal for a cleaning for years until I switched dentist with the help of this website. Now I realize Dr. Timothy Tam is very fast but very rough. I always spend more time waiting for my appointment than the actual dental work done. The technology of his equipment is old, the new dentist I go to now has HD camera with cavity lens to show me blown up picture of my teeth. They are able to detect problems with Dr. Tams work with fillings which I now have to correct.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

This was my dentist as a kid/teen and I am now 20. Even though the staff were decently pleasant sometimes. I am now at my new dentist constantly as they're repairing all the work Dr.tam did. It's costing me an arm and a leg for this guys mistakes. Dentists are astonished he's still practicing. So much grief now.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2015

The front desk staff are just horrible and unprofessional, always provides attitude. I had braces wire poking out very long and has caused a white blob inside my mouth which hurts when eating. I called to have it fixed and they told me to come at 4:30, however when I arrived they said he will not be here until 5. The way the front desk deals with things like this is so impolite. I also came from a class so it's not ideal to wait here for 30 minutes when the appointment is at 4:30. They did not apologize at all and just provides attitude. Nor did they call to inform me earlier. Just don't come here, it's just a pain when it comes to unprofessional staffs. All they know is argue argue argue, or won't admit what they are doing wrong. Also when it comes to payment; they always say we will double check but it has been months since we've had a clear answer to see how much payment is left.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2015