Ratings for Dr. Ashok Baburam

I'm not sure whether this is a rant or a rave. I was having pain in my ankle that (I thought) was due to stretched tendon/ligaments from rolling my ankle numerous times over the years. When I had I my X-rays and consult with Dr. Baburam, he claimed I needed my ankle replaced. Quite the shock hearing this. (By the way, no excessive waiting for extended appointments) However, he explained that the Alberta government doesn't (yet) fund ankle replacements. So he suggested that he fuse the ankle. I was afraid that I would have limited movement in the ankle. We discussed tightening the tendons/ligaments first to see how that would work out. He agreed and I was booked in for Dec. 2015. Done and done. I went back to graduated work duties Feb.1, 2016. Not bad. Then on Feb. 5, 2016 I got a massive infection in the ankle from the internal sutures. Off to my family Dr. for antibiotics booked a follow up with Dr. Baburam for review. I had 3 more recurrences of the infection before seeing him again and many more antibiotics. On seeing him, he informed me that approximately 25% of his patients get these infections. He was very apologetic. We decided to remove the internal sutures and out pins in. That was done in April 2016. The ankle wasn't feeling too bad. But I had subsequent infections and more antibiotics. Due to his and mine vacations, it February 2017 before getting in for a 3rd surgery. One pin was removed that was causing me some grief and 3 more sutures where removed. I saw Dr. Baburam June 2017 for a follow up. Everything seems to coming along fine. I still have somewhat disabling stiffness 50% of the time. It either "walks out" in a few hours or stays with me for the day. It depends on how hard I work it. Dr. Baburam said it may take another year until all is normal. When I see my family doctor next week, we will be discussing stem therapy for my knees. Wish me luck.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

Simple finger tendon attachment home wrong. Baburam was explaining how the tendon could slip into my hand. As he's explaining this he finds the end of the tendon and squeezed with both thumbs. Made a big Pop! And almost seemed like he deliberately made the tendon slip down out of my finger. Long story short it made a simple procedure into a full finger hack job down into my palm. Finger still doesn't work and I now have scare tissue pain from a wretched stitch job that the nurse tore to bits when removing the stitches, only time I've ever passed out from pain "get up" she said and wrenched on it again. A couple months later I saw baburam and explained my finger didn't work and he squeezed it and said "I saw movement" several years and ally of pain and a useless mangled finger later. Another doctor in Ontario exrayed it and described it as a "hack job"

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

He did my knee replacement June 2015. Things seemed to be Ok for the first 6 months but since then I have had pain, swelling and stiffness I just saw him Dec 23 2016 and he was horrible to me. Said there was nothing wrong and he would not do anything more for me. He did not even order a MRI to see what is wrong My family doctor said it is loose when i told Banuram this he replied "Is he a orthopedic surgeon" He says he is not GOD every time time I have seen him So why does he act like he is Now I am trying to find another orthopedic surgeon that will see me and fix his mistake I would not refer this doctor to my worst enemy Also he is always late and you wait for hours at times. If he screws up he will never admit to making a mistake Good luck if you are having him do your surgery.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2016

Have fun waiting for hour's. No updates and minimal discussion.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2016

So very busy, thus always late. Wonderful personality. Very competent surgeon. would not hesitate to have surgery by him again.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2016

I have 2 surgeries with excellent results. Very quick at getting me booked and both problems were completely fixed.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

Dr. Baburam is a fantastic surgeon. I broke my ankle in 2 places requiring 5 pins on the outside of my ankle and a rod inside. I went to Cold Lake Hospital saw the Dr. In Emergency and my surgery was done same day. He did an amazing job and I would go back to him. My ankle is better than ever.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2016

He wrecked my toes. I broke them several times and he said he could fix it from rubbing. Now I'm in pain all the time and they look disgusting. Months post op I am regretting getting surgery. Run.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

Dr Baburam is a amazing doctor/surgeon. Im only 29 and had both my bunions done. He not only did amazing surgery with minimal scaring. But he explained what he did and gave appropriate medication to help with pain. My last bunion surgery was one week ago. And i would recommend him to anyone. Yes the waits in the dr office located in hospital are a little long, but be patient its all worth it in the end. The healing process from any surgery is painful and does take time. Which anyone knows. After all the healing is done, my one foot took 6 months and still has pain, but it worth it in the end. I thank Dr. Baburam and his staff for everything they have done for me.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2015

I had surgery on July 26 2013 on my foot by Dr A Baburam which turned out to be a night mare. I ended up gettting rushed to U of A for emergency surgery to try and save foot . Well

flag | Submitted August 30, 2014