Ratings for Dr. Louie Chan

I am transgender and I am seeing Dr. Chan for hormone replacement therapy. I have a few issues with his service. First of all, he barely explains things that need to be explained by a doctor. He just gave me a link to a website that explains what the hormones do as if I haven't done enough reading online. And whenever I ask a question, his answer is just "it depends on the person", and considering English is not his first language, I found his explanations hard to understand. I understand that the effect of hormones depends but maybe an explanation of what usually happens would be helpful. Also, he is only available Mondays and Thursdays during regular work times, so I have to take time off work to be able to see him. You can never contact him by phone as he is never available, and the Church Wellesley Health Centre rarely ever picks up. He has made me wait for four weeks to get my prescriptions, though I had done all my blood work before hand. He is just never available and not very accommodating to someone who is sick of waiting and hates living in a male body. I also asked him some questions about stuff I read online and he said he's never heard of that stuff before. I tried to get a reach of him to do my consultation over the phone but the staff was not accommodating. Lastly, he never says goodbye, he just sends you on your way to a nurse and it's up to you to know when he wants to see you next and what you should be doing. Overall, I had much higher expectations.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2016

Met with Dr. Chan and Dr. Doehrity yesterday for the first time. Explained my desire to feminize my body while maintaining a predominantly male appearance. He was (they were) extremely friendly, and ensured I was most comfortable expressing my long-supressed desire to develop breasts and more feminine characteristics. I left feeling a great sense of relief and appreciation for their understanding and support. Going back for another consult soon. Consider myself very fortunate to have found him (them) as I begin this new chapter in my life. With their support, I feel I'm in good hands and am excited about the future. The staff at the clinic are great and made me feel most welcome. I highly recommend his (their) professional services.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2012

not impressed, just got out of surgery and the doctor refuses to give any pain medication, terrible experience having surgery for nothing (as they found nothing wrong with me) and now i cant even get a little pain relief for your ginipig experiments

flag | Submitted June 17, 2011

Dr. Chan has been a godsend for my transgender partner and I. He is well-trained, by the book, knowledgeable, empathetic and just a great doctor. The facilities there are great as well, the nurses and staff are so friendly and accepting. Definitely a positive space for LGBTQ community.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2011