Ratings for Dr. Qasim Alikhan

I first met Dr.Alikhan in the ER department where he was the on call Doctor. I found him to be a man of few words but those he used were knowledgable and compassionate. His manner is brisk but he is absorbing all the facts of your case and is willing to give you unlimited time if your case merits it. He has a great bedside manner, explains everything in detail and has a keen sense of humour. Thank heavens he was the Doctor on Duty when we needed someone just like him. His generosity and compassion are to be applauded, we thank you Dr. Alikhan.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

My first meeting with Dr Alikhan had to have been well over 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with asthma and copd. He put me on a routine of inhalers and mentioned that if I quit smoking things could get better for me. Yes, I was still smoking. I told him I would really try to quit and he looked at me and said "I believe you will on your own time". That really meant something to me. Over the years I would have flare ups and lung infections and was seen by a college of Dr Alikhan. In the last 2 years things became worse. I was hospitalized twice and found myself at the emergency once. I knew I had to see Dr Alikhan, he would get to the bottom of this. My quality of life was slipping away. I had difficulty just walking from one room to the next. Dr Alikhan ran tests and found what was making me worse. Once again he put me on a routine of medication and inhalers. He is a man of few words and he studies his patients. If you truly want to help yourself then he will give you a hundred percent of his knowledge and time. I have been seeing him once a month for the last year. For him to give me this much of his time, we'll let's say that my health really wasn't or isn't the best. I put my trust in him and will continue to do so. He was right, I quit smoking, I don't know how and I won't question it, but he was right....again. Things are much better now, I can't run a marathon but I feel better. Thank you Dr Alikhan

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

I have no doubt he saved my life. I had to be intubated and he made the process as easy as it could be for a young person away from home.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

I had the chance to be assessed by Dr. Alikhan lately to renew my CPAP machine which is more than 5 years old. The pressure and other settings had to be re-adjusted. Subsequent to the sleep test, I used all kinds of masks through a company and I experienced air leak for all of them. Eventually, I asked Dr. Alikhan whether it will be helpful if I go back to my old Gel mask which was more reasonable in terms of air leak. He mentioned that Gel masks are generally better in terms of air leak. In response to my question on why he had not made this suggestion earlier, he mentioned that it is my duty to do my search on the internet to find out what the best mask is for my case. I found this statement quite odd and drew parallels with a cardiologist suggesting a heart patient to find the best remedy for controlling his cholesterol on the internet. On top of this, he did not sign reimbursement documentation needed by OHIP and he said it is better for me to undergo another round of sleep test to check the feasibility of jaw mould treatment. However, he considered this to be a tentative solution and did not suggest any recourse in case the treatment happens to be ineffective. In summary, Dr. Alikhan is not attentive to the needs of his patients and he puts more emphasis on the financial side of his profession.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

I went to the sleep clinic and my follow-up appointment for results with Dr. Alikhan was 3 months later. I waited 10-15 minutes in the waiting room on the day of the appointment. He provided an overview which was very brief. In order to get detailed report I would have had to pay $50., so I just went with the key points he offered. He provided useful information and gave me a referral to a sleep psychologist, which was probably the best option for my case.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2013

Polite, knowledgable, for the most part, on time. Tests are sceduled as needed. Monitors ongoing well.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2013

I met Dr Alikhan 2 years ago after I had about 5 bouts of pneumonia during the same year (I cracked at least five ribs because of the coughing) and saw at least 5 different doctors (family doctor and er). I was referred to Dr Alikhan after I had to be taken by ambulance to the ER. He is very knowledgeable and his receptionist is very helpful. I saw him every couple of weeks at the beginning and the last time I saw him he took the time to talk to me and told me that I no longer needed to see him but that he would always be there for me if I had any questions. There is no doubt in my mind that this Dr saved my life.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2012

This was my second meeting with Dr. Alikhan in 5 years. I wanted his comments about alternatives to CPAP therapy for sleep APNEA which I have been on for 10 years. I was wondering about a dental appliance for travel purposes. Dr. Alikhan did an assessment and suggested that a dental appliance may not be the best solution for my situation. He suggested a new device for sleep apnea called PROVENT and set up the arrangements for me to try it. The same day I received a call from the supplier of the device and ordered it on line. It will be delivered to me in 2 days. I will try it for a month and then review the results with Dr. Alikhan. I was really impressed with the way he answered my questions and the speed with which he followed up the alternative treatment. Thanks Dr. Alikhan!!

flag | Submitted November 27, 2012

I was seen by Dr. Alikhan for over 9 years. I have severe COPD and going for a transplant. . He lost a cat scan results, made me wait 9 months for a letter and refused to give me 2 weeks off when I severely ill. I tried talking to him, left me a message wanting service. He then got upset and asked is administration clerk to call threatning that he would no longer see me as I am ill and have demands. I complained to College of Physicians .During that time he changed is mind said he would keep treating me. When he found out I had complained, he sent me a letter saying my action made it impossible for him to treat me. and that he referred me to another doctor that does not have too much credentials regarding transplants. He is not to be trusted with your health. I was loyal and followed every instructions and he treated with disrespect and threats of leaving me without medical treatment until my complaint.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2012

I just finished a sleep test and follow up appointment. I found Dr Alikhan and his team very professional, courteous and very competent. I was in and out of his office in a flash. He has helped me greatly with my sleep apnea. I am now sleeping much better thanks to him and his team. Great job guys/gals,

flag | Submitted May 22, 2012