Dr. Devesh K. Varma

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Devesh K. Varma

I have been a patient of Dr. Varma for over a year dealing with a difficult glaucoma issue. Dr Varma was always there with encouragement, professionalism and most of all innovative solutions to my problem. He is a very caring doctor who was always accessible when I needed him.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2016

A very good doctor. Helped me with my eye problems when other doctors said they could not do anything to help. Am very grateful for his care.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr Varma was incredibly patient and kind to my father. He saw that my father was quite apprehensive to get his surgery so Dr Varma took the time to make my father comfortable and answered all his questions. The surgery was a success and we are very grateful.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

Dr. Varma is extremely competent and fully understanding of the anxiety a patient may be experiencing. I personally am very anxious when anything, even an eyelash gets into my eye and cannot watch someone else putting a contact into their eye and the thought of underdoing a laser glaucoma procedure was terrifying. My husband also is visually impaired by cataract surgery complications (another surgeon) so my anxiety was increased as I am the sole driver in the family. However, I knew potential complications of untreated glaucoma were acute visual loss so there really was no choice for my treatment. After a sleepless night, I braved the procedure. Nothing I could see was being poked into my eye, the laser procedure was done quickly and no less invasive than some of the tests where you are looking at a specific spot. If I can undergo this procedure anyone can as I do not think there is anyone else who is more scared than I was. All the reassurance by Dr. Varma and his staff that there is nothing to the procedure is actually the truth. Dr. Varma is an excellent physician and Prism Eye Institute is a superb facility -- all testing done in one location and usually during the same visit. Less running around and instant diagnoses being made as testing is readily available during the visit.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

I had a glaucoma surgery last March 2017. Dr. Varma put a stent to relieve my eye pressure and he did an excellent job. Thank you so much Doctor Varma.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Was blind and now can see... I am blind in my right eye and cataract took over my left eye at a rapid rate which left me blind. Dr Varma was very calming during my visits and reassure me everything will be alright and he will restore my eyesight. On May 9th 2016 he kept his word and gave me 20/20 vision in my left eye...I have been wearing glasses since i was 7 years old due to an accident in my right eye. The procedure was painless and only took 15 minutes, thank you Doc.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2017

Dr. Devesh Varma puts confidence in his patients through his excellent knowledge, professionalism, excellent skills and respects your options. I want to thank you very much for being an excellent eye surgeon.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Although I have already submitted my thanks to what a wonderful doctor and surgeon Dr. Varma is, I thought it was important to share that Dr.. Varma is not afraid to ask for a second opinion. When I was approaching a possible surgery, I was rushed back to the office a few days later so I could meet with the entire Ahmed team in order to look at every different criteria of my eye in order to make an informed decision about the pros and cons of surgery regarding my overall eye health. Around 7 doctors in the office took a pause from what they were doing to come speak with me. I was eternally grateful to have an opinion from every different specialist, including Dr. Ahmed as to what path they should take. Thank you Dr. Varma for putting that meeting together and keeping me in such good hands! It shows how much you really care about each one of your patients.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Dr. Varma, I have been your patient and as a result, I'm almost blind in one eye! I was referred to you to check on the possibility of Glaucoma in my right eye, the examination confirmed that there's been 40% damage to optical nerve due to trauma, but the pressure is normal do only needed check-up in sic month. Just after one year, I had a serious deterioration in the same eye a week before my scheduled appointment(it was suppose to be one month early but changed by your office ), I pleaded with your office to be seen right away but was rejected. I went into your office for my appointment and complained about vision loss, but you just casually blamed it on the damaged optical nerve without looking into my eye, no eye drops were prescribed! Guess what two weeks later, I started seeing distortion, I was told by my family doctor to go to the Emergency, next day to the eye specialist, and next day to Toronto Western and surgery on the the fourth day. I had a total retina detachment with macula detachment . Thankfully his skillful surgery of saved some of my vision but it's borderline blind in the eye. I'm seeing another ophthalmologist , and he questions why I needed to see you for glaucoma since the trauma damage is done and there is no further deterioration as a result of eye pressure? All this is a thanks to you for spending 2 mins with me after a six month wait for appointment and further one and half hour wait in your clinic with you. I wish there is a way I could sue you!

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

Dr. Devesh K. Varma is exelent surgon. I just don't have words to thank him for his professional work. He is one of those people who go the extra mile for his patients without expecting anything in return. I underwent cataract surgery on Dec 15/ 2016 for both eyes at the same time.. He was kind enough to let me know in time that the lens I chose would not suite me. The lens he suggested did the job well and saved me money . I would recommend Dr. Verma to any one looking for a very professional, friendly and the one who puts patients well being ahead of money. Last but not the least to say he is caring and very accessible person. Once again thanks.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2016

Dr. Devesh K. Varma's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Devesh Varma is recognized across Canada as an emerging leader in Ophthalmology. He specializes in the full range of glaucoma surgery performing both traditional and a variety of new minimally invasive procedures. In addition to routine and refractive cataract surgery, he has particular expertise in high risk cataracts, the repair of complications from cataract surgery and reconstruction of the front portion of the eye. He completed a Bachelors degree in Engineering at Dalhousie University in Halifax where he graduated first in his class and was awarded the University Medal. He went on to complete his medical school training in Halifax and then a residency in Ophthalmology in Saskatoon which he completed in 2009. He pursued further training at the University of Toronto under Dr. Ike Ahmed, as a subspecialist in Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery. After his fellowship, Dr. Varma joined Dr. Ahmed as a partner at the Prism Eye Institute - a large multidisciplinary practice with locations in Mississauga and Brampton. He performs surgery at Trillium Health Partners in Mississauga, Kensington Eye Institute and TLC Mississauga. Dr. Varma is an Assistant professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Toronto, where he leads undergraduate ophthalmology teaching at the Mississauga campus, teaches residents, fellows and delivers a wide variety of continuing education programs for practicing physicians. He actively conducts research and has special interests in angle closure glaucoma and new technologies, having authored over 20 publications and delivered over 60 presentations at national and international conferences.

• English
  • Hindi
  • French

• Dalhousie University (Grad. 2004)
  • University of Saskatchewan (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Toronto (Grad. 2010)

• Glaucoma