Dr. Devesh K. Varma

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Devesh K. Varma

I have been a patient of Dr. Varma for over a year dealing with a difficult glaucoma issue. Dr Varma was always there with encouragement, professionalism and most of all innovative solutions to my problem. He is a very caring doctor who was always accessible when I needed him.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2016

Not a good experience at all, I had to look for another Dr. because he was just not giving me any information on my condition. He likes looking at the computer but not patients. Too many patients booked as well so not really any time to spend with you.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Varma by another patient and after my first visit, he determined that I had glaucoma and high eye pressure. He started treating me with numerous eye drops and medication to help avoid surgery. I had constant monitoring via follow up meetings, which was quite helpful. However, after a few weeks, I wasn't feeling better and during a follow up with dr. Varma, he concluded that I needed to undergo emergency eye surgery. I was scheduled immediately on the labour day long weekend and had my left eye operated on (intraocular lens inserted and a valve as both my vision was blurry and I couldn't see while the water in the eye was not being discharged). I can thankfully say that it is now 3-4 weeks later and in my latest follow up, my vision has comeback! Dr. Varma has been very good throughout all of this as I continue my road to recovery. I would highly recommend choosing Dr. Varma as your eye doctor/specialist and get treated as soon as possible, as time does not heal eye issues, but Dr. Varma can! From a very satisfied patient, S.A.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

A very good doctor. Helped me with my eye problems when other doctors said they could not do anything to help. Am very grateful for his care.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr Varma was incredibly patient and kind to my father. He saw that my father was quite apprehensive to get his surgery so Dr Varma took the time to make my father comfortable and answered all his questions. The surgery was a success and we are very grateful.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

Dr. Varma is extremely competent and fully understanding of the anxiety a patient may be experiencing. I personally am very anxious when anything, even an eyelash gets into my eye and cannot watch someone else putting a contact into their eye and the thought of underdoing a laser glaucoma procedure was terrifying. My husband also is visually impaired by cataract surgery complications (another surgeon) so my anxiety was increased as I am the sole driver in the family. However, I knew potential complications of untreated glaucoma were acute visual loss so there really was no choice for my treatment. After a sleepless night, I braved the procedure. Nothing I could see was being poked into my eye, the laser procedure was done quickly and no less invasive than some of the tests where you are looking at a specific spot. If I can undergo this procedure anyone can as I do not think there is anyone else who is more scared than I was. All the reassurance by Dr. Varma and his staff that there is nothing to the procedure is actually the truth. Dr. Varma is an excellent physician and Prism Eye Institute is a superb facility -- all testing done in one location and usually during the same visit. Less running around and instant diagnoses being made as testing is readily available during the visit.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

I had a glaucoma surgery last March 2017. Dr. Varma put a stent to relieve my eye pressure and he did an excellent job. Thank you so much Doctor Varma.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Was blind and now can see... I am blind in my right eye and cataract took over my left eye at a rapid rate which left me blind. Dr Varma was very calming during my visits and reassure me everything will be alright and he will restore my eyesight. On May 9th 2016 he kept his word and gave me 20/20 vision in my left eye...I have been wearing glasses since i was 7 years old due to an accident in my right eye. The procedure was painless and only took 15 minutes, thank you Doc.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2017

Dr. Devesh Varma puts confidence in his patients through his excellent knowledge, professionalism, excellent skills and respects your options. I want to thank you very much for being an excellent eye surgeon.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Although I have already submitted my thanks to what a wonderful doctor and surgeon Dr. Varma is, I thought it was important to share that Dr.. Varma is not afraid to ask for a second opinion. When I was approaching a possible surgery, I was rushed back to the office a few days later so I could meet with the entire Ahmed team in order to look at every different criteria of my eye in order to make an informed decision about the pros and cons of surgery regarding my overall eye health. Around 7 doctors in the office took a pause from what they were doing to come speak with me. I was eternally grateful to have an opinion from every different specialist, including Dr. Ahmed as to what path they should take. Thank you Dr. Varma for putting that meeting together and keeping me in such good hands! It shows how much you really care about each one of your patients.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Dr. Devesh K. Varma's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Devesh Varma is recognized across Canada as an emerging leader in Ophthalmology. He specializes in the full range of glaucoma surgery performing both traditional and a variety of new minimally invasive procedures. In addition to routine and refractive cataract surgery, he has particular expertise in high risk cataracts, the repair of complications from cataract surgery and reconstruction of the front portion of the eye. He completed a Bachelors degree in Engineering at Dalhousie University in Halifax where he graduated first in his class and was awarded the University Medal. He went on to complete his medical school training in Halifax and then a residency in Ophthalmology in Saskatoon which he completed in 2009. He pursued further training at the University of Toronto under Dr. Ike Ahmed, as a subspecialist in Glaucoma and Advanced Anterior Segment Surgery. After his fellowship, Dr. Varma joined Dr. Ahmed as a partner at the Prism Eye Institute - a large multidisciplinary practice with locations in Mississauga and Brampton. He performs surgery at Trillium Health Partners in Mississauga, Kensington Eye Institute and TLC Mississauga. Dr. Varma is an Assistant professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Toronto, where he leads undergraduate ophthalmology teaching at the Mississauga campus, teaches residents, fellows and delivers a wide variety of continuing education programs for practicing physicians. He actively conducts research and has special interests in angle closure glaucoma and new technologies, having authored over 20 publications and delivered over 60 presentations at national and international conferences.

• English
  • Hindi
  • French

• Dalhousie University (Grad. 2004)
  • University of Saskatchewan (Grad. 2009)
  • University of Toronto (Grad. 2010)

• Glaucoma