Ratings for Dr. Janice Van Kampen

I just saw Dr. Van Kampen today for a first time therapy session. I was not impressed at all, she had a student with her and asked me if it was ok if she attended the session with us. Of course i said no I am not comfortable with that. She didnt look or act professional either. She was playing with her hair while talking to me. to me she seemed uninterested, and honestly i couldn't wait to get out of there. The only option she had for me for my anxiety was medication or group counselling. No thank you!!! will not be going back to see her again. I will never turn to a shrink for my problems again. I have learned the only person who can truly help you is YOURSELF!!!!

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

This woman is a heinous, ignorant pig who needs to reevaluate her own goals and values as a medical professional before she has the nerve to misdiagnose, mistreat or verbally abuse another patient ever again. I cannot adequately stress how negative my experience with Dr. Van Kampen was, and, for the sake of my own mental health, barely wish to revisit the abhorrent treatment I was subjected to over the length of my appointment. Please, do yourself a favor and say no to an appointment with her. She has no idea how to speak to someone experiencing the struggles of mental illness, no interest in helping (unless she's telling you that you're fine and need to get out, however; she's excellent at that!) and zero grasp on basic psychology, as she can't seem to find the time or the patience to PROPERLY diagnose anyone she sees. Absolutely disgusting, thoroughly disappointing, shame on St. Cath General for knowingly employing an immature, indignant jerk in such a sensitive field. She won't help you, she won't guide you toward the right path, and she shouldn't be treating ANYONE, period.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

I took my daughter to hospital in Oct knowing she wasn’t being med compliant. She lives on her own and refused to see her psych because she knew he would have her admitted. Unfortunately Van Kempen was on call and didn’t admit her. She even had the nerve to take a phone call during the interview. My daughter has just been admitted to the psych ward after a compete breakdown. This could have been completely avoided if Van Kempen did her job in the first place. I have mentioned her name to several professionals and the comments I received were: she not well respected, doesn’t have a good rep, won’t admit because she doesn’t like paperwork and oh no, not her. I will be writing to the Director of Mental Health and urge others to do the same

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

I have been seeing Dr.Van Kampen for about a year now, she is truly a decent shrink. First glance of her wasn't good but after a few sessions, I believe our relationship got better and so did I, she was able to give me a diagnosis and instead of medication she strongly encouraged group and counseling therapy. I still see Dr.Van Kampen on a monthly basis or as needed. She is straight to the point and does not do well with drug addicts. If you are willing to put the effort into receiving help, she will help you.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr. Janice Van Kampen is the only psychiatrist I have ever met. After reading the reviews I would have to say that i support all of the negative comments. I made a comment to her regrading that no mater what medication one takes there are always going to be side effects. Her response to me was. "Your comment is pointless because you are not a Dr. and that's why I prescribe the medication and you don't."

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr. Janice Van Kampen, was the psychiatrist on duty when I was admitted into the psychiatric ward at The St. Catharines General Hospital. On the day I was discharged she failed to access me. She walked into my room and signed me out. She never even spoke to me to see if my meds were working. In all actuality I was prescribed a medication that did not work well with me. The College of Physicians and Surgeons needs to know how this person behaves.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

I saw Dr. Janice Van Kampen when I was self admitted into The St. Catharines General Hospital. I have a serious illness and she prescribed me a medication that was contraindicated with my medical condition. This medication may have caused my illness to become worse. She discharged me simply based on a final minimal few seconds meeting. She said to me, “You’re fine to go”, even after a R.N. and a nursing student assessed me and said that I needed to stay longer needed more help. I will be filing a complaint with The College of Physicians and surgeons. I will leave you with this PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT GO TO THIS DR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her actions closely resemble Nurse Ratched the fictional character and the main antagonist of Ken Kesey's 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, as well as the 1975 film. A cold, heartless tyrant, Dr. Janice Van Kampen is the stereotype of the nurse as a battleaxe

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

I see Dr. Van Kampen. I have only seen her a couple of times. She is friendly and does looks like she understands but I don't think she does! I have been suffering from Mental Illnesss for 28 years and in my opinion she's not very good. I go because right now I have no else except my family physician. Who is much better at helping me. She says such stupid things. Even I seem to know more about certain things then she does. She hasn't tried different meds with me until I suggested what was told to me by a Psychiatrist from a Mood Disorder clinic. I am not impressed. I was in her office once and I told that I was having a Panic Attack and she did nothing!!! Sometimes she just seems stupid. Very frustrating!!!! Most of the time when I go I usually end feeling drained and like I've wasted my time. I don't want to see her anymore but I don't have anyone else.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Thank you to all those who posted your review, after reading them my husband will be cancelling his appointment and looking for another Dr, last thing Iwant do is have him see someone who wil make him worse not better.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

At first, she didn't seem to want anything to do with me, but after a year or so, she became friendlier/ more agreeable. I don't think she likes the idea of a patient switching medications too frequently. If you don't like the idea of a student sitting in on your session, then she is not for you.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2015