Ratings for Dr. Janice Van Kampen

I have been seeing Dr.Van Kampen for about a year now, she is truly a decent shrink. First glance of her wasn't good but after a few sessions, I believe our relationship got better and so did I, she was able to give me a diagnosis and instead of medication she strongly encouraged group and counseling therapy. I still see Dr.Van Kampen on a monthly basis or as needed. She is straight to the point and does not do well with drug addicts. If you are willing to put the effort into receiving help, she will help you.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr. Janice Van Kampen is the only psychiatrist I have ever met. After reading the reviews I would have to say that i support all of the negative comments. I made a comment to her regrading that no mater what medication one takes there are always going to be side effects. Her response to me was. "Your comment is pointless because you are not a Dr. and that's why I prescribe the medication and you don't."

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr. Janice Van Kampen, was the psychiatrist on duty when I was admitted into the psychiatric ward at The St. Catharines General Hospital. On the day I was discharged she failed to access me. She walked into my room and signed me out. She never even spoke to me to see if my meds were working. In all actuality I was prescribed a medication that did not work well with me. The College of Physicians and Surgeons needs to know how this person behaves.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

I saw Dr. Janice Van Kampen when I was self admitted into The St. Catharines General Hospital. I have a serious illness and she prescribed me a medication that was contraindicated with my medical condition. This medication may have caused my illness to become worse. She discharged me simply based on a final minimal few seconds meeting. She said to me, “You’re fine to go”, even after a R.N. and a nursing student assessed me and said that I needed to stay longer needed more help. I will be filing a complaint with The College of Physicians and surgeons. I will leave you with this PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT GO TO THIS DR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her actions closely resemble Nurse Ratched the fictional character and the main antagonist of Ken Kesey's 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, as well as the 1975 film. A cold, heartless tyrant, Dr. Janice Van Kampen is the stereotype of the nurse as a battleaxe

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

I see Dr. Van Kampen. I have only seen her a couple of times. She is friendly and does looks like she understands but I don't think she does! I have been suffering from Mental Illnesss for 28 years and in my opinion she's not very good. I go because right now I have no else except my family physician. Who is much better at helping me. She says such stupid things. Even I seem to know more about certain things then she does. She hasn't tried different meds with me until I suggested what was told to me by a Psychiatrist from a Mood Disorder clinic. I am not impressed. I was in her office once and I told that I was having a Panic Attack and she did nothing!!! Sometimes she just seems stupid. Very frustrating!!!! Most of the time when I go I usually end feeling drained and like I've wasted my time. I don't want to see her anymore but I don't have anyone else.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

Thank you to all those who posted your review, after reading them my husband will be cancelling his appointment and looking for another Dr, last thing Iwant do is have him see someone who wil make him worse not better.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

At first, she didn't seem to want anything to do with me, but after a year or so, she became friendlier/ more agreeable. I don't think she likes the idea of a patient switching medications too frequently. If you don't like the idea of a student sitting in on your session, then she is not for you.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2015

This woman if I can even refer to her as that is a heartless, soulless shadow of a human being. My sister who is not from the Niagara region and should have been transferred back to our area in Peel region after she had a relapse of schizophrenia and wondered to St Catharines. Was not transferred but instead was provided a rights lawyer as my sister was not thinking correctly and wanted to be released and not on meds although she severely needs them. Van Kampen did nothing to help us in the transfer back to Peel but instead offered for us to pick up my sister in her condition knowing she may very well refuse us transfering her back ourselves. She flat out told me she wanted nothing to do with the hearing and expedited the removal of my sister from a form 3 that was keeping her in the hospital. Basically she wanted to dump my sister in a shelter in Niagara in an area she has no support system as I said we are from the Peel region. She has done everything possible to rid herself of the "problem" which has become my sister. We are currently communicating with the MOH to see how far we can take this issue. I fear for my sister's safety and none of our concerns seemed to mean anything to this so called doctor. DO NOT TAKE YOUR LOVED ONE OR YOURSELF TO THIS HOSPITAL IF IT CAN BE AVOIDED AND AVOID MS. JANICE VAN KAMPEN ANY MEANS NECESSARY. I hope her license gets revoked sooner than later so she can stop playing around with the lives of the most fragile ppl in our society.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2015

My name is wayne and I have seen doctor van kampen about 10 times and she has done nothing for me but mess up my medication and make me worse then what I was then discharge me and I would be back in the mental health the night I got discharged because my depression and the pills she put me on where making me suscideal and I code white 6times in the ten times I've seen her and she is a useless tool every one in the st cathriens mental health is a useless tool

flag | Submitted May 27, 2014

I saw Dr. Van Kampen while she was in Toronto after seeing 7 other doctors and taking over 35 different medications. She was fantastic. She put me on a combination of anti-depressants that worked! I had been unable to go out; see friends; work;do anything "normal" for 11 years due to depression and now I am able to function again. I was so sorry to see her leave. Unfortunately, now I am in the hands of an uncaring, "jump to the textbook" psychiatrist. I miss her compassion, understanding and professionalism. St. Catherine's you are very lucky to have her.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2014