Ratings for Dr. Alexandra Mcpherson

Horrible doctor - was rolling her eyes at me... I was having major pan attacks so severe I was passing out and she said she couldn't help me. Went to another dr there who is actually wonderful. Don't see dr Mcpherson

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

This doctor is very abrupt and doesn't show any attention on a patient's conditions. It's just a poor situation with psychiatrists in Edmonton that forced me to see her. She doesn't listen and doesn't help.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

I had self diagnosed as "depressed" (due to malaise, exhaustion, brainfog, short fuse) & my GP was really dropping the ball- he just took my word for it (no checking for physical problems that might be behind it, no psych eval) and threw various drugs at me for YEARS, with zero improvement. Finally I asked him to send me to someone who'd know what's what, & I got Dr McPherson. Still no suggestion of bothering to work up a real diagnosis! I could have figured my issues out myself better using a Buzzfeed quiz! She continued the GPs habit of throwing random drugs at me. Finally I discovered that I have underactive thyroid and adrenal glands, & a serious intolerance for certain pollutants, so it turns out my symptoms were physical all along & I just wasted a decade taking risky psychiatric drugs and letting my illnesses progress. I am steamed to say the least. I've learned that at least a third of people will have a thyroid issue at some point in life, and the symptoms are almost identical to depression, so I cannot fathom why nobody checks for thyroid levels before assuming a groggy/grumpy patient is mentally ill. I want the last ten years of my life back! Well I suppose only the last three or so were THIS Dr's fault. My GP did most of the harm. But it's sad that a specialist didn't have anything more to offer than the GP did. Oh, also, I have discovered (FINALLY, in my late 30's!) that I've got Asperger's, and she never noticed that. Words can not express how pointless my visits to this woman were. I could have gotten more useful input from getting my tealeaves read. The weirdest part is- she struck me as a very nice person... but she doesn't seem interested in her job at all.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

Thank goodness for this doctor. Very happy. Will return

flag | Submitted March 7, 2015

I went in to see her in hopes of finding a psychiatrist who would help me find the right medication combination to bring my life-limiting depression and PTSD under control. She was late and didn't introduce herself and once she learned I was on disability, that was the end of the assessment. It wasn't the end of the appointment, though. She spent the next 40 minutes berating me for being on disability. She didn't do a full psych assessment, she didn't ask what my life had been like the last several years, or what triggered my PTSD. She just focused in on the disability and nothing else. How she figured she could know how to help me or even what was wrong with me when she wouldn't even do a full psych assessment is beyond me. I never went back and my family doctor no longer refers patients to her.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2015

I had my first visit today with this paychiatrist. She has been the third psychiatrist that I have seen regarding my condition. I was nervous and scared to meet someone new, but she was very pleasant in the way she presented herself. She introduced herself and shook my hand. At that moment it did make me feel more at ease. She led me into her office and we sat down. She has been the first doctor ever to look at me and tell me that I am on too much medication! She then proceeded to ask me a series of questions. Her response to my condition was making a list. She listed 6 steps. She also changed my medications. She told me her goal was to help me. Knowing that made me feel assured and I had a sense that everything was going to be ok. I know this has only been my first visit, but I have to say that after I saw her I felt so much better in so many ways. I left her office with a sense of inner peace. I think she will be good for me. I think she will help me. She already has.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2015

After matter of factly rediagnosing me from depression to bi- polar 1st visit handing me a pamphlet sending me on my way, my mind was blown! I cried had so many questions and no answers... She's standoffish, I had a better communication one time with a student resident then All the time I was treated by her! She left me at lunchtime when there is no receptionist I watched in the waiting area as she left her car, grabbed her lunch, heard the elevator open, tic tac as she toodles to her office then the loo, all the while I'm here for my 12:30 but I guess my time wasn't worth much she came got me round one, and shortly after that app I was dropped like it was my fault! She needs to talk with real people. Everything I've learned since says it's treatable Not Curable!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2014

I am once again healthy with many thanks to Dr. Mcpherson

flag | Submitted October 3, 2014

She knows her stuff and tries to find least intrusive solution. Best psy doc I've had in a long time.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2014

She is amazing. I was going through a really rough time and she totally turned things around for me. She did start me on meds but they did the trick. However, the best part about her is that she helped me frame my experience. She gave me ways to cope. I am thankfully off my meds but I still am empowered by the coping skills I learned.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2014