Ratings for Dr. Timothy J. Johans

I needed a complicated Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion that needed to be done while I was on blood thinners and having progressed osteoporosis . I was worried and thought I might need to leave the state to get the best care, and then I found Dr. Johans. This man is a miracle worker. He saw how much pain I was in, explained exactly what I needed, and what I did not need, and scheduled surgery immediately. He took the time to call me at home to more questions, and then met with my family before surgery to answer even more questions. He is kind, compassionate and incredibly skilled. I have a tiny scar nestled in a wrinkle in my neck, another small one from the needed sternum bone graft. I awoke from the 45 minute surgery painless (from the first time in 6 weeks). I was discharged after one day, and I don't even need painkillers. I am so grateful for having this caliber of skilled surgeon in the Boise, Idaho area. No need to travel for the best of the best. I have had to undergo a lot of surgery, (from Johns Hopkins in MD to UCLA in CA) and I am so grateful to have found the best right here in my home town. Prior to meeting Dr. Johans, I went thru 6 weeks of incredible nerve pain, a myriad of doctors, chiropractor, physical therapy, spinal injections and a pharmacy of opioids that were never going to fix my problem. I am so blessed to be painfree, thank you Dr. Johans, I only wish I had found you sooner! PS: From the day I met him, his skilled PA and wonderful office staff performed miracles to schedule the surgery, obtain insurance approval and provide complete instructions, for a worry free procedure just 5 days later. I would trust him with my own family and highly recommend him to anyone who wants exceptional, skilled care.

flag | Submitted August 15, 2018

This Doctor is the absolute best. He operates on you as if you were his family...only doing what is the absolute best for the patient with the most positive outcome. After several doctors either refused to operate on me due to the severity of my case, Dr. Johans took me on and did the most conservative approach. I was out of the hospital, walking without pain for the first time in years, and 8 years later I am still good. He is a God-send.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2018

He is like the real life version of Dr. House from the TV show. He’s very honest and direct and does not sugar coat anything. He’s thorough and very smart though he can have a coarse demeanor he can also be very sensitive and kind. He’s been very helpful to me and without a doubt the ONLY reason I have the neuro function and mobility that I have today.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

I had a very bad experience with Dr. Timothy J. Johans. I would not recommend him and I will never go to him again. He has a very bad bedside manner and is very unprofessional. I found that doctor on the internet and going to him was a big mistake. According to some specialists I have gone to, he did surgery on me that was not necessary.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Dr. Timothy J. Johans did my neck surgery in June 2014. He ruined my life. He crippled me and caused me severe upper back, shoulder & neck pain since the surgery. My quality of life is gone. A neurosurgeon at Oregon Health Sciences University looked at my MRI in November 2016 and mentioned I did not need my neck surgery. I have talked to several other specialists that mentioned my neck surgery was unnecessary. When I was under anesthesia Dr Johan's asked me if my arms & hands were numb. I said "yes". Of course they were, I was under that sleeping medication before surgery. He even yelled at me the morning after my neck surgery in Meridian because he saw Percocet on my file. The administer of St. Luke's Hospital straightened him out. I left a message on the Dr's medical assistant's voice mail a year ago concerning my pain and the kinds of exercising I could do and no one called me back from that office. I think Dr Johan's is just after the money.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

Unfortunately, I have an advanced degenerative spine. Dr Johans has kept me active in my favorite sports, family activities and my career over the years. When I have had to have surgery, he is extremely conservative, precise with minimal scarring. One of my surgeries was emergent. He performed surgery the next day and it was the night before he was leaving for his family vacation. He and his team/staff are very caring, supportive and thorough. If you want the best neurosurgeon in town, consult Dr. Johans.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

I highly recommend Dr. Johans! I was impressed from the very first phone call to his office. His team was very responsive and actually seemed to care about how much pain I was in. They got me in to see the doctor ASAP which meant the world to me since my back pain was destroying my life. Dr. Johans did an excellent job fixing my back! I have a very small incision in my lower back and was able to resume my life without chronic back pain within a couple weeks of the procedure. Skilled, professional, caring…I just can’t say enough about how much I appreciate Dr. Johans and his staff.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2016

I was very concerned about having any kind of spine surgery. All of the horror stories I have heard and skepticism from other medical professionals. So I did a huge amount of research. I ended up asking a good friend (physical therapist) to ask his friends in the physical therapy field, if they had to have surgery tomorrow, who would they go to? Of 7 different physical therapists in the valley Dr. Johans was one of two they all recommended. From the first appointment everything has been....better than any other care I have had. He was friendly, honest, and genuinely cared about my well being. His office staff was exceptional; answering questions, returning calls, and all were extremely friendly. I cannot say enough good about the entire experience. I will recommend Dr. Johans to any and everyone I know. And, so far, no more pain or numbness.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2015

I just saw this page and I am shocked to read some have found Dr. Johans rude. This man is one of the most caring, knowledgeable Doctors we are privileged to have in the Treasure Valley. I was introduced to him in 1998 because of a ruptured herniated disk in my neck that was causing my left arm to go numb and lose function. When my other Dr. contacted Dr. Johans, he stayed late so I could see him that evening. He spent two hours explaining what was happening within my neck and how it was affecting my arm which was losing function quickly. He told me I needed to have surgery within the next couple of days to prevent total nerve damage to my arm. He took his time in explaining everything thoroughly and because my appointment was at 4:45 it was almost 7 when I left his office. I appreciated his confidence and knowledge of my situation and his genuine concern. I had surgery two days later and continue to do well today. I never thought of his demeanor as being "rude or abrupt". Thank God for giving Dr. Johans the ability to help us heal and lead better lives when surgical intervention is needed. I would give him a 10.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

One could easily misinterpret Dr. Johans confidence and knowledge for rudeness and being abrupt. I disagree, I found Timothy Johans an exceptionally knowledgeable Doctor and was able to help me with minimal surgery. My hats off to this Doctor, I would highly recommend.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

Dr. Timothy J. Johans's Credentials

• University Of Kansas School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)