Ratings for Dr. Usha Venkatraj

I have not had a healthy doctor-patient relationship with my current oncologist Dr.Venkatraj for sometime. I have had many unpleasant experiences with her and her office and I am now going to be very vocal about it, because God forbid anyone of you or anyone you know get cancer I would hate for you to go through what I have had to. My last face-to-face visit with Dr. Venkatraj, I had some questions for her. After my last round of chemo my tumor had completely gone away, in fact I was told that according to the PET SCAN I was NED (no evidence of disease). I asked Dr. Venkatraj why we didn't do a mastectomy then. Not because I was accusing her of anything but because I legtitmately didn't know. She said "Racine we have already had the conversation." By this time she is started to get defensive. I say, " No Dr. V, we have not had that conversation." (Even if we had, I am a cancer patient for crying out loud, I forget things. Tell me AGAIN!) Then I bring up that MD Anderson is planning to remove the breast after shrinking the tumor from chemo, and then planning to operate on the liver. Her response is, " Did they even say that will work 100%?" She said it as if she was trying to shed doubt in their plan and take away my hope. I responded " WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY WOULD SAY THAT? WHEN I LEFT MD ANDERSON I HAD HOPE BECAUSE THEY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO TRY AND CURE ME OF THIS DISEASE AND HERE I A SITTING IN HOPE CANCER CENTER AND YOU ARE TRYING TO TAKE THAT AWAY." Then my husband tried to get a word in and Dr.Venktraj told him to stop talking it was her turn. He said " I haven't even got to say anything yet!" He was so upset he told me to put my clothes on and lets leave. I tried to deescalate the situation because I didn't want to jeopardize the chemo treatment I was to get in a couple days got my exam and we left. I spoke with my doctor as MD Anderson and she felt like it might be beneficial if I look into other local oncologists. So I scheduled an appointment to meet with one. They requested records Monday from Dr. Venkatraj's office and the next thing I know I am getting a phone call from Dr. Venktraj's office asking do I want t cancel my appointment for next week.... Did I call to cancel any appointments? NO, I asked to send some records to another office so that I can meet another doctor. That is my RIGHT to see anyone I want. Unless I call you to cancel, you shouldn't be calling me to ask if I want to cancel a week in advance. THIS MORNING, I get a call from Dr.Venktraj's office manager about the incident that happened in her last week. Apparently Dr. V was concerned about it affecting that other patients in the office.... REALLY!? This is the incident where Dr. Venktraj just had to let me know that mY treatment DOES NOT GUARANTEE ME LIFE "100%". LIKE I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WHEN SHE TOLD ME I HAVE 12-24 MONTHS TO LIVE BASED ON WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED LAST MAY!!!! The office manager said she obviously had no idea what was said or that they called to cancel my appointments. I guess they were ready to get rid of me. Obviously not the place I need to be. So you have been warned about how Dr. Usha Venkatraj treats her patient- a 27 year old mother of a one year fighting to L I V E!

flag | Submitted February 16, 2016

Although the Dr was in, she hadn't decided to see patients yet. An hour past my apt time and the first two patients of the day still waiting before me to see her and she couldn't be interrupted to find out when she might start seeing patients! Staff said she was always over an hour late seeing any patient.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2015

She ran $4655.25 dollars worth of blood work with out asking me about the cost of this amount of blood work. She said if she worried about the cost to her patients she would not be able to do her job. What about the patients? They have a right to know that this will cost in the thousands to run these tests and should have the options on whether they want all the tests run. She had also wanted me to do a MRI which I told her no that I could not afford it unless it really needed to be taken which it did not finding out just by x-rays. She does not have any impathy toward her patients and never smiles. She could not tell me why I am anemic nor would she say that maybe iron infusions might help me. She said that she could do a bone marrow biopsy to maybe see if something else showed up ?

flag | Submitted November 15, 2010