Ratings for Dr. Amber Sheikh

I went to emerg. in Niagara Falls because my right eye was almost swollen shut, it felt like a hot needle was being stabbed into my eye ball. Emerg to me right away, had a doctor examine my eyes, did some tests and then phoned Dr. Sheilkh. I went to her office at 7.00p.m. and she was caring, professional, just a wonderful person and doctor, she put a contact which had medication on my eye. Dr. Sheikh was gentle, understanding... honestly I don't know another Specialist who would spend over 3 hours searching for an explanation to what was happening to my eye. I then went back to emerg for a cat scan, more blood work, and later IV with 2 different medications. In the morning the hospital got a taxi for me to go to Welland General to see another specialist (who I was not impressed with) & then a taxi came to bring me back to Niagara Falls Hospital...eventually I went home Tuesday afternoon. Her office called to see how I was doing after I got home and later called to make an appointment. When I went to her office the receptionist was very kind to me, I went and sat on the most comfortable chairs in the waiting room....now tell me what office do you know that has padded chairs for one to sit on? To me this showed another side of Dr. Sheikh. Her staff explained my eye examination before it started, after the first examination I had drops put in my eye and was told they would sting for a minute. (which they did). I was told what my vision was in each eye then asked to take a chair in the hallway...again the chairs were great! I had to wait a few minutes (which is really nothing) and then went into the examination room and again I had drops put in my eyes. Dr Sheikh came in about 5 minutes after I had sat down (again a very comfortable chair). She was quite surprised at how I looked from the first time she met me. She told me how worried she had been. She did an extensive examination, explained what had happened to my eye and if I had any problems again to call her office. She also asked what my family doctor felt when I had seen him. I would recommend her to everyone I know. She made me feel important to her. The staff treated me with respect, and were extremely nice. I must admit Dr. Sheikh spent the time that was needed with me. She is quite in demand, a very busy office.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2016

I have been going to Dr Sheikh for glaucoma issues and she is excellent. Always explains how everything is going with my eyes. Never feel rushed and the office girls doing the testing on the different machines have always been very nice. Glad I was referred to such a great doctor. Very few times I have had to wait for her services.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

To start, punctuality and knowledge are not a factor in this rating. My mother is 95, and has been a patient with Dr. Sheikh since Dr. Smith retired. She has macular degeneration and glaucoma. Last year she had what could have been a catastrophic accident at home which kept her in the hospital for more than 5 months. Dr. Sheikh's office was advised, as I was on the phone with them every day for a week getting her eye drops sorted out, as Douglas Memorial had faulty records. She has had to go for therapy and all those wonderful things that go with it, and has finally settled down to a normal life again. Except that her eyesight has worsened and she is in the market for new glasses. I called the office today to make an appointment for her, and was told that as she hadn't been to Dr. Sheikh in a year, she needed to get a referral from her family doctor. When I inquired how they expected her to keep any appointments when she was in the hospital, they said that didn't enter into the matter. When I inquired why, at ninety-five, she was expected to traipse all over the peninsula just to get a referral, she said that this is the procedure whether the patient is 25 or 95, age didn't matter. Clearly, that isn't all that doesn't matter. Conclusion: my mother has an appointment with someone else next week.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

First appointment with my 82 yr old mother was great. Dr. and her nurse Suzu took time to answer questions, provide explanations, etc. All went smoothly Next two appointments, we were rushed, concerns were dismissed by both RN and Dr ! RN wouldn't even let my mother finish asking a queston before she was dismissing my mother's concerns. She did that twice to my mother and once to me . . . .at which point I became very forthright and said "I AM TRYING to tell you . . . . ? She let me finish then, but just claimed my mother had NOT had an infection, no one ever got infections from the needles, she would have had pain if there was an infection . . . . my mother and I mentionned several times that she did indeed have pain. No response. Both RN and Dr. were short, abrupt, and when my mother needed time to consider one of the treatments the Dr. said we would have to go back out in the waiting room to consider our choices because she had lots of people who had come for the procedure and it was not fair to make them wait!!!!! When my mother experienced pain when the injection was given today, neither the RN nor the Dr. acknowledged, neither comforted her. First impression/experience was very positive; the next two were absolutely HORRIBLE!! I hope I can get a different doctor to provide her with the ongoing treatment she needs!! I am very tempted to submit a complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgeons! Receptionists not nasty, but not friendly. Take your card, hand it back, "take a seat". No "good morning", no "how are you?", no "goodbye, have a good day". If everyone else was friendly, empathic and not in an almighty rush the lack of warmth from reception could be overlooked. All in all, I would NOT recommend this doctor and her nurse if you are a person who needs assurance, comfort, concern, empathy and respect.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

Dr. Sheikh was very helpful in her explanation of my glaucoma. She is very patient and caring. It is time for her to expand her practice, she will need the room.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

Went to the Drs today for the first time. Found the staff helpful and professional. Have read the negative remarks and can only say that if you want a Ophthalmologist with valet service you just need to go over the border and for $8,000.00 an eye your needs will be met. Granted, there is a long wait for surgery, she is but one person. I guess she could speed things up by doing 18 surgeries a day, but I for one: do not want someone who has done 18 surgeries working on me.Yes, the up-sold me on an iris device, but ultimately it was my choice: I could have said no.At no time did I feel pressured.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

My experience was absolutely flawless. Dr Sheikh is very caring, honest and professional. The staff is amazing and you will be taken in right on time even if the place is busy. There is no upselling on any exams or products, All you get is an educated, honest and respectful opinion from a great Dr. I really don't understand the wait time comments as I am always in and out. The only annoying this and this isn't the doctors fault is the paid parking 2.50 exact change only and half the time the gate doesn't work well. Overall though flawless Doctor and service and staff. 10 out of 10

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

The doctor was mean to me. Kept telling me to not look at the laser, but never said so beforehand.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2017

Very professional office. Dr. Sheikh is very good at what she does. My only complaint is that I was booked for an appointment at 4:15, had my driver lined up, and was called the same day as my appointment to move my time to 3:00 or 3:15. I would have appreciated being actually booked at 3:15, if the 4:15 appointment was not really available. It would have been nice to have been contacted prior so that I didn't need to scramble to make sure my driver could accommodate me. I actually didn't see the Doctor until about 4:15 or later.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2016

Dr. Sheikh was incredibly helpful and patient in addressing any concerns I had, and the wait time was reasonable, especially in comparison to 3 hour waits I've experienced seeing specialists in Toronto and there also not being enough ophthalmologists to adequately serve Niagara.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

Dr. Amber Sheikh's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Memorial University (Grad. 2010)