Ratings for Dr. Eli Akbari

I was referred to Dr Akbari as i have been suffering from dizzy spells for many years, and was very keen to see if she could help me. She asked me to tell her what the problem was without mentioning vertigo or dizzy, um I'm dizzy! the worlds spinning, what else do you say?? She then asked me to get on the bed, and promptly started performing a maneuver without telling me she was performing it, and what was involved, all she said is I'm just going to lie you down... I am suffering from vertigo! the whole world spins when I move my head let alone lie down fast and turn my head on a 45 degree angle! It turns out, not because she told us but because we went home and looked it up on Youtube, she was performing the Epily maneuver which is to reposition the crystals in your ear which causes vertigo. She however performed it incorrectly, which we found out by watching the Youtube videos! She didn't explain what she was doing and kept telling me to relax (when the entire world is spinning and I have no idea what she's doing to me). She looked in my ears and nose with a camera as I have also had terrible sinus problems and didn't say anything about what she saw until my daughter asked her what did she see?? she brushed it off that I just had a lot of scarring from all my ear infections... which really tells me nothing. She finished the appointment by telling my daughter, not me, I have BPPV and referred me to a physio to perform the Epily maneuver and to watch youtube videos, (which is how we know that's what she did and that she did it wrong), and do it myself at home. So we have deduced from what she scrawled on a piece of paper that I am suffering from vertigo and to correct the displaced crystals in my ear the Epily maneuver should be performed. There are actually steps in performing this maneuver and you need to know which ear is affected to do it correctly, she hasn't even told us that much, we have managed to figure it out which ear it is for ourselves, we think. So we will now pay $65 to see a physio to hopefully perform this maneuver correctly so that I can walk straight. Seeing this doctor was a complete waste of time, she was completely uninterested in me, I think I may have in fact bored her with my problem.

Submitted January 12, 2017

Saw this doctor for the 1st time and I was impressed. She is very thorough and knowledgable. Wait tmes are a little long but that's the deal with all specialists.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Definitely worth the wait. I was referred to her by my GP for an ongoing issue that I had been dealing with for the last 2 years. Dr. A was very through and had read through all my past medical history and investigation results. I did not feel rushed and had a good experience.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

She has everything I look for in a physician. Always on time, professional, knowledgeable and humble. I have been her patient for the past 6 months and have nothing to say about her but good things. If you are looking for a young and energetic doctor she is the one.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2017

Doctor Akbari is one of the most knowledgeable ENTs I have been cared for. I saw her for a second opinion and despite agreeing with my own surgeon' s diagnosis she made feel at ease. She is very approachable and answered all my questions with enthusiasm and patience. More importantly she is a very professional and treats her patient with the outmost respect.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2016

Saw this doctor couple of weeks ago. I felt like I was well taken care of. Very clean office. Professional staff. She was very understanding and seemed very humble. She is one of the few surgeons who take the time to go over EVERUTHING and do not rush you. I will definitely see this doctor again and recommend her wholeheartedly.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

One of the best ENTs in Vancouver. Clean office. Good bedside manners. Very energetic and polite.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2016

Dr Akbari is nice and seems to be a good doctor but her secretary is just brutal. She's rude to patients (not only me but listening to her talk to people in the waiting room) and she can't do anything for the life of her. I've had 2 appointments recently and she messed up both of them with the wrong date. I even called to confirm and then I show up and she says it's a different date. WTF! Voice mail is full often so I can't leave a message so have to keep calling all day until she answers. Paperwork takes forever to send and when I found out my sleep study papers weren't even sent (found out after weeks of waiting for an appointment) the secretary blamed it on the old one she replaced. I don't care who's fault it is just apologize and make it right!!! That seems to be too difficult. It gets so annoying that I might need to switch doctors. It's too bad that terrible staff ruin it for a good doctor.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2016

I had a very good experience with this doctor. Reasonable wait time. She ia very thorough and explains things very well. I definitely recommend her.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Read the comments before meeting her and regretted booking an appointment with her. Dr Albari is not professional at all and does not respect their collegues. She is full of herself and thinks she is right 100% Very disrespectful. I am really disappointed. Looking for a more professional and knowledgeable doctor.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2016