Ratings for Dr. Barry M. Zide

Where are they? Where are all the "really impressive" before-and-after photos that support Dr. Barry Zide's dozens of rave reviews? They must be around here somewhere, because the first thing the "genius" does when he gets a new patient is stand him against the wall and take a picture. Surely, patients so happy with their doctor will be glad to let him post their pictures. Privacy can be protected by putting black rectangles over the eyes. Is "HIPAA" getting in the way again? The federal law for which Dr. Zide boasts his own "translation"? Let's ask "Einstein" -- for "once he is gone there will be no other" -- to take time from his tennis game to explain to the unwashed masses what he means when he writes: "And what about the patient who wants to see preoperative and postoperative photographs that you do not have? My latest ploy for that is great: 'The new HIPAA, the Health Insurance Privacy Act (my translation), which ensures patient confidentiality, does not allow us to show those pictures anymore. I wish I could, though; they were impressive, really.' The methods by which I try to keep a patient from going elsewhere unnecessarily do not go beyond this petty, nebulous presentation of data. Some of my colleagues, though, are downright creative." -- From "I Am an Expert for Anything You Want" by Zide, Barry M. published in 2002 in "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery." Let me guess: The language is intended to be understood by "surgeons only"? Nope, because Zide writes in plain English. "Latest ploy"? Anybody need a medical dictionary to understand that? "Petty, nebulous presentation of data"? How about a cheap, evasive euphemism for baldfaced lie? Is he trying to be funny? Then we need proof that The Barry Zide Show stays OUTSIDE the operating room. By inviting his colleagues to join him in mocking HIPAA, this evil clown flaunts the bottomless contempt he feels for the law and the rights of others. His sleazy bibliographical references, e.g., "Secrets of Power Persuasion," are self-discrediting and require no further comment from me. His final sentence shows us how he gives himself permission to be a crook. In other places he writes "I'm through fighting it" and "Now I go with the flow." In other words, since his colleagues are unethical, it's okay for him to be unethical, too. This kind of moral reasoning might be cute in a 4-year-old, but in a highly educated adult it is characteristic of psychopathy. If Zide is an excellent surgeon why are there no videos of him performing surgery? Excellent surgeons post videos of their work. If he is highly esteemed why has he never been department chair? If he is such a "genius" why didn't he go straight to medical school? Why did he go to dental school first? When a doctor gets his DMD and then his MD, and gets both from the same school, we are right to wonder whether his acceptance into the MD program had more to do with politics than with merit. Why, if everybody likes him, does he carry a gun, the permit for which he obtained by getting himself appointed constable? Ask these questions, and get answers that make sense, before you let Constable Zide come anywhere near you with a scalpel. Barry Zide conned and manipulated me in ways consistent with his twisted writings. Then he butchered me. He writes about the plastic surgery business as if describing a criminal enterprise, giving step-by-step instruction on how to con and manipulate patients. He writes disparagingly of patients and colleagues alike, calling the one entitled and narcissistic, and the other sociopathic. He seems perversely blind to the fact that these are perfect descriptions of himself. He's blind to other things, too. For example, it is an understatement to say that he gets medical ethics wrong. He gets it wrong, sideways, upside down, inside out and backwards. Medical doctors are supposed to emphasize the care and protection of the public, not "business, money and stature." The George Plunkitt of plastic surgery needs to be told, loud and clear, that there is no such thing as "honest graft." Barry the dentist; Barry the surgeon; Barry the professor; Barry the constable; Barry the legal expert for hire. Have I missed anything? Barry "a finger in every pie" Zide, by attaching himself (like a wood tick) to powerful professions, has made himself the ultimate insider. He should take a degree in meteorology, too. That way Barry the weatherman can speak with authority when he wets on people's legs and tells them it's raining out. The positive reviews praise him as a compassionate genius. The negative reviews condemn him as an evil fraud. Which is it? It can't be both. Yes, there is good and bad in each of us, but not to such extremes. When solving an unknown, begin with a known. Begin with his writings, for they reveal his true nature. Read them. Study them. Think about them. Ask others what they think. Then decide for yourself whether Dr. Barry Zide is devil or angel, genius or fraud.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2019

March 1, 2019 I presented to Dr. Barry Zide in October 2018, with a lip and chin that were a total train wreck. I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea in 1992, and am unable to tolerate C-Pap. So I looked for surgical solutions. In 1994, I had tongue advancement surgery which involved degloving of chin and moving genioglossus muscle forward. In 1998, I went for the radical surgery: BSSO, or mandibular advancement. The surgeon put in a massive chin implant, again degloving the area, and cutting the mentalis muscles. In 2002, I had the massive chin implant removed and my own chin brought forward in a sliding genioplasty. In February 2018, I had cosmetic surgery by a surgeon who noticed my ptotic lip and chin and promised he could improve it. I ended up with the chin pad and lip still ptotic, and also way off center to the right. I randomly drooled on the left side of my mouth when I ate. Thankfully, I found Dr. Zide by googling chin revisions and visiting his website: chin surgery.com. He has performed over 500 chin revisions. He has written many articles, specifically addressing the importance of resuspending the mentalis muscle correctly. I met with him for a consult last October. He spent quite a bit of time analyzing, and having me move my lips in every conceivable way. “Your mentalis muscle is off-center and the left side of the muscle doesn’t appear to be helping in any way. The chin pad and lower lip need to be brought to center and anchored with 3 anchors. The sulcus is too low and needs to be as close to your lower teeth as I can get it.” Anchors. That’s the ticket. I was starting to feel hopeful. So I had the surgery 2 weeks ago. Since he is very cautious, I wore the compression jaw bra 24 hr/day for 1.5 weeks. I’ll wear it 2.5 more weeks at night, head elevated by 3 pillows and sleeping on my back. Most of the swelling is gone now. My chin pad is centered, as is my lower lip. Spot on. My lower lip appears to be level now. I didn’t expect Dr. Zide to work miracles and I didn’t think he was a magician. But, in my opinion, my result is quite miraculous given the mess the previous surgeons left for him. He has restored my confidence by improving my appearance. I’m so very grateful.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2019

I will not describe how Dr. Barry M. Zide deceived, then injured me. I will not give this con artist and butcher the opportunity to add insult to injury by 1) flat-out calling me a liar, or 2) selecting from the plethora of psychiatric terms and phrases that plastic surgeons use when they need a way to say that a patient is crazy. If history teaches anything, it teaches that the word of a griping patient counts for nothing against the word of an MD -- or in this case an NYU professor of plastic surgery AND NYC police constable. That's right: Doctor Zide is also Constable Zide. When little Barry tires of playing doc, he can switch to playing cop. So dedicated is Dr. Zide to his medicine that he finds time to dedicate himself to police work, too. So, instead of describing my Barry Zide disaster, I will call your attention to an independent source of information consistent with my disaster -- a source that supports my opinion that not only is Dr. Barry M. Zide a nasty, dishonest human being, but a careless and incompetent surgeon. Linda Allone was the mother of a 10 year-old boy that Dr. Barry Zide (among others) operated on. So horrific was her experience that she wrote a book about it: "Living Scared: Can You Trust Your Doctor?” (ISBN 9781425766443). Allone's account contains a number of descriptions of Dr. Zide's bizarre and unethical behavior. The following excerpt, taken from pages 142 and 143, imparts the general flavor: "Looking down at James, I encouragingly told him, 'We're going to fix that problem inside your head, so you won't have anymore pain, sweetie.' Smiling, he squeezed my hand saying, 'I don't trust the doctors, Mom, but I trust you.' It brought tears to my eyes, hearing James say this. Walking into the corridor to continue our discussion, Dr. Epstein cavalierly said, "I told Dr. Zide to go in there and do it RIGHT [caps represent italics] this time!' I was astonished that he would make this remark in front of Dr. Wisoff and Dr. Cohen; we all looked at him in total surprise. Seeing our shocked expressions, Dr. Epstein blurted out, 'Well, sometimes you have to talk to Barry Zide that way.'" That’s right: Dr. Barry M. Zide, DMD, MD, professor of surgery (plastic) NYU did such a shoddy job on a surgery he performed on a 10 year-old kid that a colleague had to scold him like child before he would go back and do it the right way. The question members of the public need to ask themselves is clear: Am I willing to entrust my health, or the health of a loved one, to a 73 year-old man who has the mind of an incorrigible juvenile delinquent?

flag | Submitted December 23, 2018

It is to the credit of this website, RateMDs, that they allow at least some negative reviews to be posted about Dr. Barry Zide. It is concerning that the same can't be said for all other websites that host doctors ratings and reviews pages. Yelp buries most of the negative reviews in their "not yet recommended" section. Google doesn't seem to allow any negative reviews at all for Dr. Zide. I posted one and it was gone the next day. I emailed Google but didn't get a response. I was a patient of Dr. Zide, which is another way of saying I was a sucker for his many positive reviews. I will pay for that mistake for the rest of my life. There are apparently a few of us out here doing what we can to make sure the same doesn't happen to you. The Wayback Machine has been mentioned on this and other websites. I spent some time on that archive and I would like to call your attention to something I noticed. As recently as this past summer, the Vitals website had 66 positive reviews for Dr. Zide. Today all those positive reviews are gone. Now I'd like to ask an obvious question. What do the folks at Vitals know about Dr. Zide's positive reviews that the rest of us have yet to learn?

flag | Submitted October 24, 2018

don't bother going to him if you're looking for someone who actually cares about the Aesthetic outcomes of your surgery. The absolute worst, not only did he give me an extra scar on my forehead he claims that it looked all better when he did nothing. the scar is still there the bump is still there. He does the standard procedures of what needs to be done for a scar my size but he is no specialize in these areas. My only regret is trusting him. Beware people. He SPENT 15 MINUTES MAX ON "FIXING MY SCAR" MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A SURGEON THAT ACTUALLY CARES. DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE, I went to another surgeon and not only did he flatten my bump, the overall appearance of my scar looks better. If I had went to another surgeon in the first place I would've never had the extra scar he given me, there are always different alternatives in my case, he figured by cutting a line across my scar it would flatten out the area.WRONG. I've never felt so rushed being in a surgeons office.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2018

How depressing to find that I am not alone in finding out the hard way that the Dr. Barry Zide of my experience bears no resemblance at all to the positive ratings and glowing reviews that lead me to him in the first place. Maybe Dr. Zide's victims should form a club. We could me once a year at Starbucks to compare notes on the gradual deterioration of our health and social lives as a result of what this butcher did to us. I had a "procedure" done by Dr. Zide. I now have facial asymmetries and chronic pain (a kind of burning, searing) in some places, and numbness loss of feeling in other places. I brought the bad surgical results to his attention (other plastic surgeons from whom I sought second opinions didn't need me to brought it to their attention because they saw it as soon as I walked through the door) but Zide went into this phony pantomime, exaggeratedly looking at one side of me, then the other, leaning and straining and squinting his eyes as if trying to see something very small but not seeing anything. Then he sat back in his chair, closed his eyes and shook his head, no. "You're doing find," he said. "You're doing great." "None of your complaints have anything to do with the procedure." "In 20 years I've never had anyone complain of what you're complaining about." And that's how it's done. The doctor is right; the patient is wrong. Next patient, please! I never met anyone more in need of acting lessons. I am left feeling like a fool swindled by this incompetent surgeon. His morally insane writings support that if Dr. Zide is highly skilled at anything at all it is passing himself off on the public as miracle worker surgeon. I found links to his writings posted online, on a website called Makemeheal. The links worked fine the first time I used them. When I tried to use them again a few days however all I got were broken links and error messages. Apparently Dr. Zide's published writings are a hot potato, and the Makemeheal website is distancing itself from the scandal. After doing some research I did find them backed-up on The Wayback Machine website. Here are the links, along with one or two other related links: https://web.archive.org/web/20180810041552/http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/chin-disaster-pix-t166904-15.html?sid=f2481c750de844767dc336ac013f15a7 https://web.archive.org/web/20180812161511/http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/sliding-genioplasty-doctors-t164389.html https://web.archive.org/web/20180812160200/http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/sliding-genioplasty-journey-t161181-15.html?sid=afdb022e778edb45a649e1f7fd9b160a https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/05/medical-justice-caught-impersonating-happy-patients-on-yelp-ratemds/ https://web.archive.org/web/20180831101742/https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/05/medical-justice-caught-impersonating-happy-patients-on-yelp-ratemds/ https://web.archive.org/web/20160409234856/http://www.doctorscorecard.com/view?id=Barry_Zide_NY

flag | Submitted September 1, 2018

I am one of Barry Zide's victims. (Okay, one of his "patients," if the owners and publishers of this website are going to insist.) Had the information I am about to show you been shown to me, I would not have made my horrible mistake. There are a number of independent sources of information available online that in my opinion show Dr. Barry M. Zide to have a dangerous personality, one that makes him morally unfit to be a dentist, let alone a plastic surgeon. To give you the flavor of what I mean, here is a passage from page 77 of "Living Scared: Can You Trust Your Doctor? A True Story by Linda Allone", Xlibris (2007) ISBN 1425766447: "I was sitting in the parents' reading room when a woman I recognized from the ICU walked in. She looked worried. Pulling and twisting on a napkin she held in her hand, she paced nervously. Glancing out the doorway every few minutes waiting for someone to arrive, she kept clearing her throat. I had noticed the vigil she kept at her teenage daughter's bedside, but I didn't know what illness her child was suffering from. Just as I was about to approach her and introduce myself, a doctor walked in a began talking to her. He was a plastic surgeon, Dr. Barry Zide, who had been called in for consultation on her daughter's case. As they stood in the doorway talking, Dr. Zide's voice had a sense of urgency when he said there was a buildup of spinal fluid oozing from the incision in her daughter's head. He explained that this condition was very serious and could develop into meningitis if not corrected immediately. He told her that he would perform emergency surgery tomorrow, Sunday, to clean up and repair the wound. Obviously frightened after learning about the dander involved, the mother anxiously said, 'So you'll operate in the morning?' Dr. Zide snapped back, 'No, not in the morning, I play tennis in the morning!' Clearly startled by his response, the mother said, oh, and stepped back. 'We'll probably do it sometime in the afternoon,' he said and then left the parents' room. Stunned, the mother just stood there, squeezing the napkin in her hand as the doctor walked away. As a parent myself, I understood the confusion she must have felt when Dr. Zide abruptly told her that her daughter's crisis would have to wait because he had a tennis date. This woman, like all parents, needed to believe that her child was as important to the doctor as she was to her mother. Realizing that the doctor put his tennis game before the child's emergency was difficult to accept. When the mother asked if Dr. Zide would do the surgery in the morning, Dr. Zide should have been more discreet and said, "The procedure is scheduled for the afternoon.'" I give Linda Allone lots of credit for writing her book. Still, I think she misses the point. (Set aside the most obvious question: What the hell is a dentist/plastic surgeon doing operation on somebody's central nervous system.) In the above passage for example, she faults Dr. Zide for not being "more discreet". But I think the problem goes way beyond doctors being callous and bad mannered. I urge Linda Allone, and anyone interested in learning about the kind of personality of which I think Dr. Zide is a good example, to read two books: "Without Conscience, The Disturbing World Of The Psychopaths Among Us" by Robert D. Hare (pay special attention to chapter 8), and "The Sociopath Next Door: The Ruthless Versus The Rest of Us," by Marth P. Stout. Some of Allone's descriptions of doctors' behavior deserve a place right alongside Stout's composite characters. Always talk with your primary care physician and with your family before you have any surgery or medical procedure -- and never, ever, go to a consultation with a strange doctor alone. I have this nagging thought that I can't resist sharing with you. When Dr. Barry Zide is asked about this post his cynical response will be that its sole purpose is to sell the books I mention. (My second guess is that he'll say it was written by a patient with BDD -- Body Dismorphic Disorder -- a psychological term worn out by incompetent plastic surgeons. Fine. So don't buy the books. Get them at the library. Better yet, skip the library, skip the books, accept the face and body God gave you, take a cruise, buy a Harley, have a child out of wedlock, do anything except have plastic surgery. That's it. You're adults. My ice is melted. I'm done.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2018

I had a surgery by Dr. Barry M. Zide. It was a disaster. HE is a disaster. I believe that Zide is a cheat a charlatan and a fraud, and I believe his so-called ratings and reviews are exactly what you could expect from a cheat a charlatan and a fraud. I offer the following in the hope that you will get you started learning the easy way what I had to learn the hard way. The internet is loaded with information that exposes the truth about Dr. Barry M. Zide. My grandfather had a lot of wise sayings. One of them was, "Well, that's all I need to know about him." He would use it when he would discover something that to him suggested that the person was not worthy of respect, or trust. It might be just a tid bit, something so small that another person might not even notice, but it to him it spoke volumes about the person's character. If my grandfather were alive today and were to read the following quote, I believe he would apply his useful saying to Dr. Barry M. Zide: Walking into the corridor to continue our discussion, Dr. Epstein cavalierly said, "I told Dr. Zide to go in there and do it right this time!" I was astonished that he would make this remark in front of Dr. Wisoff and Dr. Cohen; we all looked at him in total surprise. Seeing our shocked expressions, Dr. Epstein blurted out, "Well, sometimes you have to talk to Barry Zide that way." ----from page 143 of Living Scared: Can You Trust Your Doctor? A True Story by Linda Allone, ISBN 978-14257-6644-3; copyright 2007, http://www.Xlibris.com. (Use the link below. You might have to copy and paste it to your browser.) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZeWNAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA299&lpg=PA299&dq=dr+barry+zide+when+he+is+gone+there+will+be+no+other&source=bl&ots=BiZslFupQR&sig=RKFA76oQMMQItq8x8I7K5ZsnR8c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD9NOWudrcAhVLI8AKHZI5BmsQ6AEwCXoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=dr%20barry%20zide%20when%20he%20is%20gone%20there%20will%20be%20no%20other&f=false

flag | Submitted August 7, 2018

Dr. Barry Zide operated on me for a melanoma on my back. He was quite professional, the procedure was quick and the scar is healing well.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2018

I am a victim of Dr Barry M. Zide. He lied to me and butchered me then when I begged him to help me he treated me dismissively and condescendingly. Don't fall for his many glowing reviews. I did and now I am suffering so much. He is a monstrous con artist. Then I discovered his morally insane writings. His own writings condemn him. My hope is that if people read these writings (published in a medical journal called Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery) they will see him for the diabolical person that he is and avoid my fate. Look for his writings. Here is the link: messageboards.makemeheal… Professor Jeff Hancock of Cornell University has created a tool for testing online reviews for truthfulness vs deceitfulness. Although it has mostly been used with restaurant and hotel reviews it may be useful for others kinds of reviews as well. Here is the link: reviewskeptic.com Here is a link to a video about fake online reviews: youtube.com/watch?v=3y0p… I have attempted to post warnings about Dr. Zide on other doctor review websites, only to have them remove what I had posted. I don't know why online review websites make it so hard for victims to warn the public about dangerous doctors. I hope RateMDs allows this post to remain. Now I must find a doctor who can help me.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2018