You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Amin S Kanani

I waited 8 months for my appointment with Dr. Kanani and was really looking forward to being properly tested and finding out a course of action so I didn't mind the wait to see an expert in the allergy field. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with my experience. The appointment in total was about one hour, however this was mainly due to the fact that there was a long wait in between when Dr. Kanani left the room and didn't come back for at least 20 minutes and I just sat there not knowing what was going on. He performed the basic allergy tests and didn't find any strong results. We discussed my incident history but basically after that, there was no solution and nothing he offered going forward. A lot of my allergic reactions happen after eating a meal at a restaurant so his suggestion to me was to take an allergy pill each time I ate out! To me, that's not a solution, just a band aid. I was really hoping for more but Dr. Kanani didn't seem interest in looking into anything further and when I asked if I should schedule another appointment, he just said 'you can if you want to' and that was that. I felt dismissed and unimportant and have since sought help elsewhere. I would never recommend him to anyone but I hope he doesn't offer the same service and advice to others.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2015

I waited an hour and a half to see Dr. Kanani. After performing the scratch testing, he left for another 25 to 30 minutes, then proceeded to tell me he didn't believe there was any such thing as my msg and sulfite allergies (both things put me into atrial fibrillation). He said there was no scratch test for these things anyway, and suggested I come back in six months. I'm in health care myself, so had at least hoped to have someone willing to explore treatment options with me. Unless you need to confirm you're allergic to cats, I wouldn't recommend you wait for an appointment.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2015

Dr. Kanani is a very kind and thoughtful doctor. He is quite knowledgeable about medical issues outside the realm of allergies too. The in-office tests were simple and straightforward. His staff are very kind and competent. I can only provide my own personal experience. My allergies are not very severe.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2015

I met Dr K today and he is very nice, kind, compassionate, pleasant, highly efficient and super smart, I really felt in good hands with him, He is a super Doctor!!!!! The receptionist is also very pleasant and will welcome you with a smile, I am originally from Montreal and I can tell you that we are very lucky to have such a wonderful Doctor here in Vancouver, I have a follow-up in 2 months and I am looking forward to meeting him again!

flag | Submitted November 18, 2015

Dr Kanani has changed my life. Living with an ultra rare disease makes it hard to find doctors who understand what you're going through. I switched from Dr Stark to Dr Kanani over a year ago and it was the bests choice I ever made. He got me an appointment within 2 weeks of being referred to him and has gone above and beyond to help me. He will call back within 2 hours of leaving a message and actually spend 20 mins talking to me instead of having to drive all the way downtown to see him. He knows his stuff which is maybe where some people are having a hard time with him not wanting to do pointless tests and procedures. I can't say enough positive things about him.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2015

I have seen Dr. K. twice now, and will be seeing him about every 9 months for follow-up. I got in to see him rather quickly, as he is giving priority to HAE patients (there are very few people with this ultra-rare condition) who need an emergency protocol put in place. He is the Vancouver/Lower Mainland specialist for HAE, and I find him to be very knowledgeable, thorough, pleasant and unhurried with me. I really don't understand the earlier very negative cooments about him--perhaps he has read them, taken them to heart, and worked on improving himself? As for his staff, at both offices (Vancouver & Surrey) I have found the receptionists to be very pleasant, helpful, and as accommodating as possible. I am assuming that they are different receptionists than he had a few years ago, as they have been nothing but pleasant and professional with me.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

Dr. Kanani cares a lot about his patients in a professional manner. He is calm, patient and helpful. The long waits to see him are a government issues. Call your MLA. I've never felt like he is too rushed to explain something, he's just efficient. He even phoned me with test results to save me from driving in to see him. I trust his judgement. Everything he's told me was backed up by reputable advocacy groups like Anaphylaxis Canada and Allergic Living Magazine. Check out their websites to help wade through some of the confusion with allergy. His staff in Surrey are very friendly:)

flag | Submitted April 4, 2015

Waited a year to see this specialist for disabling environmental allergies, only to be rushed in and out the door in under 10 minutes -- after being told that I have no allergies. (Even my referring doctor disagreed.) My impression is that this doctor does not want to spend the time or effort on the complex, difficult cases. Time is money, as they say...

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

I was told by HAE Canada, that Dr.Kanani specialises in HAE.I had the lab results to warrant investigation.....Instead, Dr.Kanani said "acquired angioedema , I refuse".I had asked him to investigate what used to be called HAE Type III....NOT acquired angioedema....Perhaps he really IS a specialist for HAE, I certainly don't know.....Dr.Kanani was rude and dismissive of me and I cannot recommend his "services"..,

flag | Submitted June 29, 2014

The visit was a waste of time. Was not allergy tested for the things that were of a concern to me. Minimal food allergies tested which is the major issue for me with proven allergic reactions, additional meds, no suggestions for a pro-active approach towards health, took me off meds that other doctor prescribed that were working fine. I felt like I wasn't heard through the visit, which is very uncommon with my other doctors who respect and take into consideration what I have to say. I don't think I'll be going back. The purpose for my visit was not considered.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2014

Dr. Amin S Kanani's Credentials

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I waited 8 months for my appointment with Dr. Kanani and was really looking forward to being properly tested and finding out a course of action so I didn't mind..."

December 22, 2015
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "I waited an hour and a half to see Dr. Kanani. After performing the scratch testing, he left for another 25 to 30 minutes, then proceeded to tell me he didn't b..."

December 20, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Kanani is a very kind and thoughtful doctor. He is quite knowledgeable about medical issues outside the realm of allergies too. The in-office tests were..."

December 17, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I met Dr K today and he is very nice, kind, compassionate, pleasant, highly efficient and super smart, I really felt in good hands with him, He is a super Docto..."

November 18, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr Kanani has changed my life. Living with an ultra rare disease makes it hard to find doctors who understand what you're going through. I switched from Dr Star..."

October 27, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I have seen Dr. K. twice now, and will be seeing him about every 9 months for follow-up. I got in to see him rather quickly, as he is giving priority to HAE pa..."

May 21, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Kanani cares a lot about his patients in a professional manner. He is calm, patient and helpful. The long waits to see him are a government issues. Call you..."

April 4, 2015
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "Waited a year to see this specialist for disabling environmental allergies, only to be rushed in and out the door in under 10 minutes -- after being told that ..."

October 1, 2014