Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

seen many docs & I appreciate how he teaches the interns as he's teaching me from his wealth of knowledge even as he's keeping my objectives in mind. I'd love to read a book from him. His staff jump to respond to my questions or calls or emails. To those who complain about wait times, it's the least of my worries. Being a patient is stressful; having a doc who works with you & for you, that's what Haaland provides. Plus they've all got a sense of humour, which makes my day better.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

Never before have I ever met a doctor who seemed to be more interested in what I could do for him, over what he could do for me! The environment in his office is tense and rushed. I felt him and his nurse were more interested in their own issues and motives over actually acknowledging me as the patient and treating me with dignity and respect. I was told he was the best, but I guess that is because he's the only one in town.

Submitted May 29, 2017

He tried for 6 yrs do get a diagnosis on my wife until SHE asked to pay for more tests which were positive for a very rare marker. Still even when presenting in a flare up which gives you 5 months to live he could not identify that she was flaring...she could hardly stand under her own strength at 38 yrs old....let's wait and see.....(while her kidneys continue to fail by the day). She asked him many times if it could be vasculitis.....no just bad luck with infections.........Was very cold when a nephrologist finally diagnosed her, not him. We tried to get the urgent treatment needed but his staff failed to return messages in time, had to go to Toronto, 2 hours away. Bunch of rookie nurses telling him what the diagnosis is and poor inner office communications. OVER booked, I get it, there aren't enough Of him but hire a manager or something. In the end was also annoyed we were receiving the EXPENSIVE treatment elsewhere, not covered by OHIP. I understand immunology is one of the most tricky areas a doctor can work in but he takes the watchful waiting approach to a whole new level, a dangerous one. On a good note he did try for several years to figure out what was wrong with her and used the right resources but egos get in the way in the end.

Submitted May 28, 2017

I am over joyed with the help Dr. Haaland and his staff have given me. If I had of gone to him first instead of the quack I was referred to I would not be so bad off. But Dr. Haaland has given me hope and my life back. I dont care how long the wait is it is more than worth it.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

I saw this doctor for the first time several weeks ago and was not impressed. Nightmare wait times and when you finally see someone it's not the doctor but his assistant and then more waiting. The staff have huge egos and are very young and unprofessional . They run around looking stressed to the max. Orders are dictated by the doctor to his assistant and he barely acknowledges you. I won't be trying the medication after learning of the side effects from my PHARMACIST - the doctor didn't even mention it could cause liver damage and cancer ........!

Submitted May 16, 2017

Terrible experience over a long period of time. A very opportunistic man with a very disorganized staff.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

His office is a circus. He over-books, leaving seniors to wait hours in the waiting area (people that have arthritic pain! His staff botches referrals, sends them to DRs that do not even do the procedures necessary. His staff is disorganized and do not seem to communicate between themselves. This DR needs to stop over booking and recognize that the people waiting to see him need appointments that are ON TIME! He also should stop being such a pill pusher, its just terrible.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Haaland's for 5 years now. He is an excellent doctor who isn't afraid to communicate with other healthcare members. He is thorough and doesn't mind questions. His staff is top notch, and I have never had a mix-up with appointments. Will you have to wait in the waiting room? Of course. Only because he spends quality time with every patient to properly diagnose them. I never felt rushed. Snacks and water are provided for the wait. Also offers free wifi and movies to watch. Great teamwork!

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

very Impressed with the staff and Dr.Haaland.Very friendly and take time and listen to you.Dr.Haaland is a very thoural doctor and really knows his stuff.Has helped me turn my life around dealing with my Psa and joint pain.Thanks again Dr.Haaland and his well educated nurses.đź–’

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

Very impressed with my visit with Dr. Haaland. They were an hour behind when I was there but it was still only a 2-3 hour wait which I am totally okay with as it is a doctors office and stuff happens! Amazing staff, very friendly, knowledgeable AND Dr. Haaland actually took my symptoms seriously and ordered further testing. Great experience!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017