Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

I was reluctant to rate his knowledge as I didn't see any proof of it one way or the other. I would say that he believes he knows a LOT! The receptionist, nurses and nurse practitioner are very friendly and respectful, but they can only do so much. Then they defer to Dr. Haaland. He talks to the staff and not the patient, pushes medication and does not want to spend time discussing things with the patient. I was very disappointed and upset after the first visit but went back to give him another chance. There wasn't an improvement. RA is only one of my concerns. When treating it I need to take into account my whole being. I feel he looks only at the RA. I wouldn't recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

The appointments took forever but Dr Derek Haaland is incredibly thorough and I would wait all day for the level of service his team provides. Highly recommend this doctor and the whole team.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2018

The staff doesn't value your time. The appointments never run on time. The office is almost impossible to get a hold of, they don't return calls or let you know about appointment bookings. Really frustrating to deal with.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2018

What an absolute joke of a doctor. His staff are incompetent and downright rude, never return calls to book appointments, and intentionally keep you waiting for hours. I once had to cancel an appointment due to illness and it took them so long to call me back to re-book my appointment that the only opening they had was for 3+ months in the future. When I said I would take it, they then told me that I would have to get a new referral from my GP because too much time had elapsed between visits. Whose fault is that???? If they ever called people back in time, it wouldn't have been an issue. On every visit I have been made to wait 4+ hours just to see a nurse who does a cursory look at my joints and then leaves. Every time I've been told, 'sorry, we're short staffed - nurse X called in sick today'. I've heard that excuse now so many times that I seriously doubt nurse X exists. I've also seen my medical records and about half of my medical history and notes are completely inaccurate and confirms my suspcicions that they either don't listen to anything you say and or don't understand English enough. And as for Dr Haaland himself, he is the most arrogant and self-centred human I have ever encountered. He never spends more than 5 minutes with me and barely even lays a hand on me or my joints. Most of the time he just talks 'about' me to the nurse and barks orders at her without even making eye contact with me. On the few occasions I have asked him questions, he's said, "You can ask your family doctor" instead of just giving me an answer. Started me on methotrexate without telling me any of the risk factors or side effects, and never mentioned anything about not drinking alcohol. His answer to everything is to push cortisone shots. When I (after several years of MTX) suggested that it was no longer working as well as it had been, his response was "Well what do you want me to do?". Words cannot express how much I despise this man and his entire staff. I am so eternally grateful that I was able to get a referral to a new rheumy who is 1000% better and more professional, never keeps me waiting, and answers all the questions I have. Do NOT go to this doctor if you have any say in the matter.

Submitted May 26, 2018

I wish I could give him and his staff all 5 stars.. however he is a specialist with several patients and he spends his time with them. I had my first appt with him after being unsatisfied by another rheumatologist and a few other drs that dismissed me . I first filled out a few long questionnaire then I went in to get weighed and blood pressure and height measures. I waiting back in the waiting room for maybe 15 min. I think in with a registered nurse who was absolutely amazing. She was sweet kind understanding and actually listened to my concerns instead of dismissing them. It.was the first time I was comfortable in a Dr office in years. Usually I feel dismissed . The nurse checked all my joints then some of the areas that I complained about that aren't necessarily related to my diagnosis. My disease is more progressive then my last rheumy said and he gave me a final dual diagnosis ( taking me almost 1.5 years. He agreed with my meds but listened to how they made me feel and adjusted them accordingly to help with side effects.. which no other Dr would do and they also told me they are rare .. which he said was false. He found stuff in my blood work that the other rheumy didn't find which led to my diagnosis. He sent me for more blood work and I am thankful for that as I had a an infection and is nurse called me and sent script right away . He explained my disease it actual language I could understand . Yes he did talk to his nurse but she is well educated and knows her stuff and it was mostly to go over my notes.. which I personally liked hearing my notes . Yes my appt was long and I'm happy it.was long and not just pushed in and out with no answers like my previous drs . He did not push pills just adjusted current and added some vitamins . Overall, I had a great experience and I look forward to having Dr Haaland and his team care for me . I am thankful that he saw what others could not . Also if you can not get through on phone which I agree seems impossible.. the email option is amazing .. I got a response quickly

flag | Submitted May 4, 2018

Dr Haaland was honest and easy to talk to about my health issues. He broke things down simply and created a plan for tests and offered many options. He was thorough and personable. His staff was kind and helpful as well as well prepared and thorough intake procedure.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2018

Office never returns calls. Injections are is only source of help. Easy on the eyes. Very nice. Too many patients. Very disorganized. Was one of his first patients in Barrie but forget about getting an appointment with him. Staff never call you back. First meeting was two hours however after that you are just another $$ . Wish I could give better rating. If I were ratings is looks 10+++++

flag | Submitted April 8, 2018

It was difficult to decide on a knowledge rating- he is clearly well educated. However, wilful incompetence is incompetence none the less. Be aware that it is our experience that he uses his patients to forward his agenda - whether or not in their best interest. Very bad experience and scary how little oversight there is in this profession. My experience with this office has changed my views on the need for outside investigation and mandatory supervision for mds. I would have been adamantly against it until this experience. Now I cannot believe there is none.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2018

Not very satisfied with the doctor and his staff. I take monthly blood tests for RA and never hear from the doctor. My family doctor gets the results and advises me when something is worrisome. They do not answer an email requesting a prescription,I have been waiting 3months and still my pharmacy has not received the prescription after having sent 2faxes which they requested.Finally my family doctor ordered it.A recent blood test showed an elevated liver enzyme. My doctor phoned and ordered more blood work. I never heard from Dr Haaland or his nurses. I do not feel that I am getting the best care from this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2018

He is quick to push prescriptions. His staff is disorganized. Keeping elderly waiting 2-3 hrs in a waiting room is obscene.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2018