Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

I am extremely impressed by Dr. Haaland and his staff. I have many medical conditions and have seen many doctors. Many are good, some should retire, Dr Haaland and his staff blow them all away. The first appointment was long - it took almost three hours. It took an hour just to fill in the questionnaire because it was so extensive. No doctor has EVER asked for so much detail. After the questionnaire a nurse took my vitals and then I saw another nurse who reviewed the questionnaire with me. She was very impressive and obviously highly skilled by the type of questions she asked and the information she was able to impart. Then I met Dr Haaland. He is very easy to talk to, very knowledgeable and I feel he is the best rheumatologist I have ever met. Before I went to the appointment, I went on Rate My MD to see what other people said about him. Some of the reviews were just nasty. What is wrong with people? Perhaps we need a site called Rate My Patient where doctors can turn the tables. I had a preconceived notion that the appointment might not go well just based on what I read here. I was pleasantly surprised. I understand some people might not like the first appointment being so long in length and maybe they didn't allot enough time. Well folks, it takes more than 10-15 minutes to figure out what is wrong with someone. I am confident that the time I spent there today was very well spent and that the tests ordered will be beneficial. Few doctors and their staff inspire this level of confidence, but I am very pleased to have been taken on as a patient. Thank-you Dr. Haaland and staff.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

He is chronically late and unapologetic. He is quick to push his agenda and prescriptions, he does not like to be questioned. His staff is disorganized and problematic. Wait times are horrendous and I have seen very elderly people waiting 2-3 hours past their appointment times. He pushes his drugs and his trial studies on people. I definitely would never recommend him.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

Staff were all amazing from the receptionist to the nurse! The appointment was late but Dr & Nurse do assessments and make sure all concerns are addressed. I was very impressed with my overall visit. I left reassured that my goals of being off prednisone will happen.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

I have had 2 visits with this doctor. The staff are very dismissive and both visits were 2 hour waits in the waiting room, then 1/2 hr in the office and then I received 10 minutes of his time. After doing blood tests, the registered nurse was to contact me with recommendations with medication and I have still not been called. When I call the office, no one answers the phone and you aren't able to leave a message. It's been 14 days since my bloodwork. I dread my next appointment as I don't have 2 freaking hours to waist waiting to see him.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2017

I moved from a big city where the specialist was professional and very experienced. In my experience, this Doctor does not fit either bill. His diagnosis was inaccurate and I later learned he did not have the patient -base to qualify for pharmaceutical contracts in both the areas I was misdiagnosed. I can only state my experience but be aware of my experience. I only post as there is no way for others to monitor patterns of this type of behaviour and it is hard enough to contend with physical illness without this on top of it. I work with a legitimate team of professionals who have been very helpful now and my experience with him has made me that much more thankful for them. He can be charismatic and is intelligent - I worry, however, that he allows his personal ambition to cloud his judgment. Be aware that things may change and there are many other good doctors. He ran many tests and misdiagnosed me despite having the answers in front of him. I have never been critical of or so disappointed in a Doctor before him in my life.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2017

I was referred to Dr Haaland, and today was my appointment. After reading many of these comments I thought I'd be meeting medical staff from a nightmare. On arrival the receptionist was friendly and helpful. I completed a long questionnaire (expected as this was my first visit). Then I had weight and blood pressure checked. Expecting a wait I brought a book with me. It helped pass the hour and a half I waited. I was called in by his very professional assistant, who checked all the details of my health history plus......... Then I was checked for my disability. Dr. Haaland came in and I found him to be very professional, methodical and caring. Yes, he spoke often to his assistant = but only to discuss my symptoms and to clarify a diagnosis and treatment plan. I found each person that I encountered in his office to be polite, considerate and friendly. They answered my questions with due respect and concern. I left feeling that I had been listened to, and that my care would certainly be well regulated by Dr. Haaland and his very capable team.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

I recently saw Dr. Haaland at MUMC, where he holds a clinic one day a week. I found both he and his residents to be extremely professional, knowledgeable and compassionate. This was a follow-up visit after multiple tests, which all came back negative. Rather than dismiss me, he has ordered more tests and has left no stone unturned searching for a diagnosis. He even dictated a note in my presence to another physician I had previously seen to see if he could discuss my case/symptoms further. I was impressed with his knowledge, his manner, his humanness and the amount of time he actually spent with me, which was almost an hour. After struggling with my health issues for almost two years, with no diagnosis and having been dismissed by other health care professionals, it was a great relief to be seen by someone who genuinely cares, and seems to be willing to give all he can in order to find a diagnosis and treatment plan. All in all, a very positive experience.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

There was a very long wait and a lot of older people waiting in discomfort, he was rude and dismissive. Apparently, I was, or my healthcare needs were, beneath him. A very poor doctor- no matter how smart he is - he doesn't get it. Good luck.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Experienced a very shaky application of ethical behaviour. Seems like a trend in ratings. Check out his offerings to pharmaceutical companies it will at least allow you to make an informed decision about your treatment and help your decision making process about treatments. Staff can be disorganized and dismissive.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Very disappointed with this doctor. Much ado about nothing except snobby staff and a doctor who showed more interest in his nurse than his patients. A very long wait that resulted in 3 RX s that don't address the problem. I wonder what research studies those scripts benefit?

Submitted July 26, 2017