Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

I was willing to wait to have my extensive history looked at and pondered over. I was informed in a letter announcing my appointment that it might be a 3 hours long due to questionnaires, and health assessments. His initial paper questionnaire was detailed and extremely thorough. Emily R.N. was a brilliant and intelligent health assessor and nurse. Dr. Haaland was so compassionate and detailed in his exam and willingness to really try to help figure out my situation. As a nurse I was amazed at his clinical skills and knowledge of pain, pain physiology, neurology, connective tissue disease and genetics. His an extremely intelligent human being and doctor. He was very kind as well. This is rare - to be empathic and smart emotionally and cognitively. Figuring out complex health issues and solving complex health problems is what a rheumatologist is supposed to do. This takes time and requires tremendous skill and knowledge. The fact that he can also easily draw from other fields in medicine with the same level of skill is rare. We are luck to have this doctor in Barrie as most gifted doctors of his caliber leave for other parts of the world. I have nothing but praise for this office and this doctor. Thank you for your time and help Emily and Dr. Haaland. I have never been to a clinic which tries so hard to obtain the clinical information and history that this clinic does. It is providing comprehensive and thorough assessment to help reach proper diagnosis and treatment. There are not too many clinics or doctors willing to do this anymore. People are no longer used to the way medicine used to be and want fast food type of service. To get quality assessment I will wait.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2016

It sounds terrible but I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one who has suffered through hours of waiting only to be basically ignored by Dr Haaland (for the 2 minutes he even stay is in the room) just to have a prescription thrown at me with no reason or explanation and when you ask a question to advocate for yourself he gives you a "how dare you" look. He is rude, arrogant, prescription happy and knows NOTHING about his patients. I stopped taking my prescription 2 years ago and he still hasn't realized that he has never given me a refill because he just doesn't care about his patients - unless maybe they are on his drug trials - which I am sure he gets paid handsomely for. If you're thinking of seeing this Dr DON'T - run for the hills. He is a nightmare.

Submitted June 28, 2016

Mocking patients, arriving late every day, stacking and racking people in the waiting rooms and delivering 'care' with arrogance and disregard. If you are looking to wait long times to be frustrated and shocked by a narcissistic bully who will have a Rx in your hand before he even has a clue what is wrong...than maybe consider him. I have no problem waiting for 5 hours if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Warning, this light is a train. Please consult your other specialists before considering meds from this doc. He likes to prescribe without advising of risks specifically relating to individuals.

Submitted June 20, 2016

This office is run like a well oiled machine. You are given a PA which helps speed the process, mine is extremely nice and helpful. Not a long visit with the Dr. but he does listen to you and responds. Definitely recommend this group.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2016

Dr.Haaland listens-carefully,and takes as much time as you need. This is why most patients don't mind waiting a bit because they know good care sometimes takes time!!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

Great doctor with good bed side manner always concerned and takes the time needed to take care of you. Everybody in the office are professional easy to deal with.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

Great doctor but wait times can and are often very long. Very lax at getting paperwork filled out and have to hound them down repeatedly to get it done.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

very disappointed in the appointment confirmation system here and appointment was cancelled before 3 days prior time by office and rescheduled too late for medications to be effective for this year.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

We are on the right track. Finally. A doctor who cares to take the time and dig into whatever it is I might have. Lots of blood work but that's being through. My nurse was amazing when I ran into issues with immunization with my family doctor and health unit. Going to be starting treatment soon for a diagnosis he was able to tell within 2 appointments where other Rhuematologist just said I had fibromyalgia. I am very happy with Dr Haaland, his nurse and the staff who have been helpful. Wait time was atrocious 2/3 visits.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2016

Don't even know where to begin. Sounds overall to me that this dr and office staff are either extremely awesome or extremely horrid. Yes waiting time was brutal.....3 hours and although I'm glad when doctors take time with their patients this should be taken into account and overbooking should not happen. We are all prepared to wait but 3 hours is unacceptable. Next off, the amount of pain my mother endured at the hands of an unseasoned staff member giving her the shots was ABSOLUTELY inexcusable!!! We all feel a little intimidated by doctors, police, lawyers as they have spent many years perfecting their practice and knowledge and who are we to say what should happen during a procedure.....that being said.....I can tell you and promise you my next 52 pay cheques that my mother is not a complainer. She was a nurse and has endured more medical issues than most of us suffer in a life time and without even so much as a handful of complaints in her 80 years. She is positive and loving and a complete trooper. I will promise her and myself that she shall never endure this type of pain again.......the needle was inserted and removed many times and the staff member even left the room to ask for advice from another staff member. You would think after several attempts and seeing the INCREDIBLE amount of pain my mother was in that the Dr would have been called upon or that they would have performed more freezing?????!!!!! This day in age there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to put someone thru the type of pain and suffering that my mother endured that day !!!! Front desk is ok although nothing smiley about their day.......even tried to crack a bit of a joke and get her to smile and her face remained stone cold expressionless. We all have bad days and lord only knows what each of us is going thru on a personal level but overall the demeanor in this office has never changed during any of my visits and we have moved on to find a compassionate bed side manner and warm and welcoming environment for my mother as this is what she deserves at this point in her life as do so many people who suffer chronic pain......I'm glad this doctor and staff have been obviously able to help some people thru their pain and suffering but it certainly wasn't so in my mothers case but things are hit and miss in all professions.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016