Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

Dr Haaland has a nice personality, and great manners, attentive to patient problems and easy to talk with. He make time during appointment and isn't rushy but busy. It is very enjoyable to call him my doctor.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

Came to him scared, he did nothing but intimated me with stupid questions he already should know, wait 2.5 hours to hear him say I want blood work from Emily and bye. Doesn't answer any questions or anything. Useless.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Haaland after seeing multiple doctors for ongoing severe allergies. I was under the impression that I would be going to him for services that I had not already received from anyone else-but that was not the case. My first appointment was schedule for 2:30pm, and I was instructed to be at the office 30 mins prior to then, which I was. I waited and waited in the waiting room, finally being called in at around 4:00pm-2 hours after arriving and 1.5 hours after my appointment time! Once in the room, the nurse was fine and polite, but conducted an environmental pric test, which is something I had already had done by another doctor. She confirmed the one allergy that I already knew about. Then, she left the room to go inform the doctor that we were ready to see him. AND SHE LEFT THE ROOM FOR ANOTHER HOUR!!! Finally, they both came back, he shook my hand, asked me a few questions and then prescribed a weekly allergy shot that I would have to go back to Barrie to pick up the serum and be issued my first shot. (Did I mention I am travelling from Sudbury?). So we do that. And a couple of months later we go back to Barrie to get things started. We did not have to wait in the waiting room long this time. But once we were in the office, we were informed that because I hadn't taken an antihistamine an hour before (which I was never instructed to do), they would have to give me one and we would have to wait an hour before being able to administer the shot. So we waited...again. Then, I was scheduled to go back to see the Doctor this October for a follow up. In August I received a call that they had moved my appointment up to September. So September comes around, my boyfriend and I both take a day off of work and make the 3 hour trip to see Dr. Haaland in Barrie for my follow up. Again, my appointment time was at 2:30pm, and this time we were nearing 4:00pm again before we were called in. Once in the room with the nurse, she looks at my charts and says "I think you are here too soon for us to administer the next set of tests, it hasn't been a year yet since you started but I will go find the doctor and ask him", so she leaves the room again for another 20 minutes and then comes back with dr. Haaland, he comes in and confirms that we have come too early and that they will have to book me back in in the spring. So we took time off of work and traveled all for nothing this time. So over all, I think that he is very unorganized and has no respect for anyone's time but his own. It's very unprofessional, and I recommend if you are referred to him for these kind of services, you ask to be referred elsewhere to hopefully avoid this nonsense.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2016

Had a referal sent earlier this year. Haven't heard a word. It's been 9 months now. Called a few days ago to find out what's going on with my appointment and the receptionist was rude and cold. Was told rhaf my referal wasn't as important as others since mine wasn't a rush referal?!! Took forever to even get ahold of somebody. Have been trying since August as well as my doctors office was. I called my docs office yesterday to cancel my referal and send me somewhere else. After reading these reviews and experiencing rudeness just by calling I'd rather not waste my time.

Submitted September 28, 2016

Complete waste of time and is a perv . Total waste of time . I don't recommend him . My wait times were over a hour to see him aswell .

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

Office was okay but the dr. was aweful. He made me feel like I was a waste of his time and he was not helpful.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

Dr. Haaland operates an excellent office providing a professional , welcoming setting. From the beginning, Dr. Haaland and his team have shown their genuine care and expertise in dealing with chronic illness and its impact on the patient. Truly, Dr. Haaland, through his diagnosis and treatment, has not only improved my quality of life but has helped me get my life back. Kudos to Dr. Haaland.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

Sad that all that training is wasted on an immature and over-developed ego. Hopefully, one day he will grow into being a real doctor and embody the healing nature of his career choice. For now, it seems, that for many he just is not there yet.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2016

I was willing to wait to have my extensive history looked at and pondered over. I was informed in a letter announcing my appointment that it might be a 3 hours long due to questionnaires, and health assessments. His initial paper questionnaire was detailed and extremely thorough. Emily R.N. was a brilliant and intelligent health assessor and nurse. Dr. Haaland was so compassionate and detailed in his exam and willingness to really try to help figure out my situation. As a nurse I was amazed at his clinical skills and knowledge of pain, pain physiology, neurology, connective tissue disease and genetics. His an extremely intelligent human being and doctor. He was very kind as well. This is rare - to be empathic and smart emotionally and cognitively. Figuring out complex health issues and solving complex health problems is what a rheumatologist is supposed to do. This takes time and requires tremendous skill and knowledge. The fact that he can also easily draw from other fields in medicine with the same level of skill is rare. We are luck to have this doctor in Barrie as most gifted doctors of his caliber leave for other parts of the world. I have nothing but praise for this office and this doctor. Thank you for your time and help Emily and Dr. Haaland. I have never been to a clinic which tries so hard to obtain the clinical information and history that this clinic does. It is providing comprehensive and thorough assessment to help reach proper diagnosis and treatment. There are not too many clinics or doctors willing to do this anymore. People are no longer used to the way medicine used to be and want fast food type of service. To get quality assessment I will wait.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2016

It sounds terrible but I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one who has suffered through hours of waiting only to be basically ignored by Dr Haaland (for the 2 minutes he even stay is in the room) just to have a prescription thrown at me with no reason or explanation and when you ask a question to advocate for yourself he gives you a "how dare you" look. He is rude, arrogant, prescription happy and knows NOTHING about his patients. I stopped taking my prescription 2 years ago and he still hasn't realized that he has never given me a refill because he just doesn't care about his patients - unless maybe they are on his drug trials - which I am sure he gets paid handsomely for. If you're thinking of seeing this Dr DON'T - run for the hills. He is a nightmare.

Submitted June 28, 2016