Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

I was referred to Dr Haaland, and today was my appointment. After reading many of these comments I thought I'd be meeting medical staff from a nightmare. On arrival the receptionist was friendly and helpful. I completed a long questionnaire (expected as this was my first visit). Then I had weight and blood pressure checked. Expecting a wait I brought a book with me. It helped pass the hour and a half I waited. I was called in by his very professional assistant, who checked all the details of my health history plus......... Then I was checked for my disability. Dr. Haaland came in and I found him to be very professional, methodical and caring. Yes, he spoke often to his assistant = but only to discuss my symptoms and to clarify a diagnosis and treatment plan. I found each person that I encountered in his office to be polite, considerate and friendly. They answered my questions with due respect and concern. I left feeling that I had been listened to, and that my care would certainly be well regulated by Dr. Haaland and his very capable team.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

I recently saw Dr. Haaland at MUMC, where he holds a clinic one day a week. I found both he and his residents to be extremely professional, knowledgeable and compassionate. This was a follow-up visit after multiple tests, which all came back negative. Rather than dismiss me, he has ordered more tests and has left no stone unturned searching for a diagnosis. He even dictated a note in my presence to another physician I had previously seen to see if he could discuss my case/symptoms further. I was impressed with his knowledge, his manner, his humanness and the amount of time he actually spent with me, which was almost an hour. After struggling with my health issues for almost two years, with no diagnosis and having been dismissed by other health care professionals, it was a great relief to be seen by someone who genuinely cares, and seems to be willing to give all he can in order to find a diagnosis and treatment plan. All in all, a very positive experience.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

There was a very long wait and a lot of older people waiting in discomfort, he was rude and dismissive. Apparently, I was, or my healthcare needs were, beneath him. A very poor doctor- no matter how smart he is - he doesn't get it. Good luck.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Experienced a very shaky application of ethical behaviour. Seems like a trend in ratings. Check out his offerings to pharmaceutical companies it will at least allow you to make an informed decision about your treatment and help your decision making process about treatments. Staff can be disorganized and dismissive.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Very disappointed with this doctor. Much ado about nothing except snobby staff and a doctor who showed more interest in his nurse than his patients. A very long wait that resulted in 3 RX s that don't address the problem. I wonder what research studies those scripts benefit?

Submitted July 26, 2017

seen many docs & I appreciate how he teaches the interns as he's teaching me from his wealth of knowledge even as he's keeping my objectives in mind. I'd love to read a book from him. His staff jump to respond to my questions or calls or emails. To those who complain about wait times, it's the least of my worries. Being a patient is stressful; having a doc who works with you & for you, that's what Haaland provides. Plus they've all got a sense of humour, which makes my day better.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

Never before have I ever met a doctor who seemed to be more interested in what I could do for him, over what he could do for me! The environment in his office is tense and rushed. I felt him and his nurse were more interested in their own issues and motives over actually acknowledging me as the patient and treating me with dignity and respect. I was told he was the best, but I guess that is because he's the only one in town.

Submitted May 29, 2017

He tried for 6 yrs do get a diagnosis on my wife until SHE asked to pay for more tests which were positive for a very rare marker. Still even when presenting in a flare up which gives you 5 months to live he could not identify that she was flaring...she could hardly stand under her own strength at 38 yrs old....let's wait and see.....(while her kidneys continue to fail by the day). She asked him many times if it could be vasculitis.....no just bad luck with infections.........Was very cold when a nephrologist finally diagnosed her, not him. We tried to get the urgent treatment needed but his staff failed to return messages in time, had to go to Toronto, 2 hours away. Bunch of rookie nurses telling him what the diagnosis is and poor inner office communications. OVER booked, I get it, there aren't enough Of him but hire a manager or something. In the end was also annoyed we were receiving the EXPENSIVE treatment elsewhere, not covered by OHIP. I understand immunology is one of the most tricky areas a doctor can work in but he takes the watchful waiting approach to a whole new level, a dangerous one. On a good note he did try for several years to figure out what was wrong with her and used the right resources but egos get in the way in the end.

Submitted May 28, 2017

I am over joyed with the help Dr. Haaland and his staff have given me. If I had of gone to him first instead of the quack I was referred to I would not be so bad off. But Dr. Haaland has given me hope and my life back. I dont care how long the wait is it is more than worth it.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

I saw this doctor for the first time several weeks ago and was not impressed. Nightmare wait times and when you finally see someone it's not the doctor but his assistant and then more waiting. The staff have huge egos and are very young and unprofessional . They run around looking stressed to the max. Orders are dictated by the doctor to his assistant and he barely acknowledges you. I won't be trying the medication after learning of the side effects from my PHARMACIST - the doctor didn't even mention it could cause liver damage and cancer ........!

Submitted May 16, 2017