You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Derek Haaland

We are on the right track. Finally. A doctor who cares to take the time and dig into whatever it is I might have. Lots of blood work but that's being through. My nurse was amazing when I ran into issues with immunization with my family doctor and health unit. Going to be starting treatment soon for a diagnosis he was able to tell within 2 appointments where other Rhuematologist just said I had fibromyalgia. I am very happy with Dr Haaland, his nurse and the staff who have been helpful. Wait time was atrocious 2/3 visits.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2016

Don't even know where to begin. Sounds overall to me that this dr and office staff are either extremely awesome or extremely horrid. Yes waiting time was brutal.....3 hours and although I'm glad when doctors take time with their patients this should be taken into account and overbooking should not happen. We are all prepared to wait but 3 hours is unacceptable. Next off, the amount of pain my mother endured at the hands of an unseasoned staff member giving her the shots was ABSOLUTELY inexcusable!!! We all feel a little intimidated by doctors, police, lawyers as they have spent many years perfecting their practice and knowledge and who are we to say what should happen during a procedure.....that being said.....I can tell you and promise you my next 52 pay cheques that my mother is not a complainer. She was a nurse and has endured more medical issues than most of us suffer in a life time and without even so much as a handful of complaints in her 80 years. She is positive and loving and a complete trooper. I will promise her and myself that she shall never endure this type of pain again.......the needle was inserted and removed many times and the staff member even left the room to ask for advice from another staff member. You would think after several attempts and seeing the INCREDIBLE amount of pain my mother was in that the Dr would have been called upon or that they would have performed more freezing?????!!!!! This day in age there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to put someone thru the type of pain and suffering that my mother endured that day !!!! Front desk is ok although nothing smiley about their day.......even tried to crack a bit of a joke and get her to smile and her face remained stone cold expressionless. We all have bad days and lord only knows what each of us is going thru on a personal level but overall the demeanor in this office has never changed during any of my visits and we have moved on to find a compassionate bed side manner and warm and welcoming environment for my mother as this is what she deserves at this point in her life as do so many people who suffer chronic pain......I'm glad this doctor and staff have been obviously able to help some people thru their pain and suffering but it certainly wasn't so in my mothers case but things are hit and miss in all professions.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

Went there looking for answers. Left there with medication without a diagnoses. Did blood work. Had to hound the office for three months to get results of blood work. They took 20 vials of blood. Wtf?! Have the decency to call a patient & tell them what's up! Went back for a diagnoses cause I insisted on another appt. left there with more meds prescribed, vaccination prescriptions, cortisone shot, & paper to take part in an RA study. Go back 1 year later. He keeps referring to PA. I don't have PA. I have RA. What? When did my diagnoses change & why am I in an RA study if I don't have RA? I reckon he doesn't even look at my chart & he is going off what he initially wrote in my file cause when I went there for the blood results. He said, " I THOUGHT you had PA but now that I've seen your results you have RA." But now he just reads what he initially thought & wrote but doesn't actually look at the new blood work & his newest diagnoses. In the end I'm not convinced I have RA either. I think my symptoms fit Sjogren's but what do I know?! Other than how I feel & quite frankly, I'm sure he doesn't hear anything I say. He's very quick to throw more meds at me. I'm only on one medication because I have refused everything else. I'm lucky, I'm doing quite well on this one medication. I feel sorry for anyone that is dire need of a rheumatologist that will listen to your actually needs cause this is NOT that doctor. I suggest that any patient that does see this doctor, to take some control over what is being offered to you by him because he over prescribes & just doesn't listen.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2016

I am very pleased with Dr. Haaland and his staff.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

Dr. Haaland is very kind and knowledge. I had my first appointment last week. The nurses are fantastic. I've been to two other rheumatologists and for the first time in 5 years I feel like I have hope that he will figure everything out.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

Dr. Haaland saved my life. I was in chronic pain from arthritis and lupus, he put me on a course of meds and I feel like I have my life back. I'm even going to the gym again. Can't say enough great things about this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2016

It was a long wait time I'll agree, however they did apologize for the wait which really is unnecessary. He is a doctor, and any specialist I've ever been to has large wait times this is a known fact. If you want him to take the extra time with you, don't complain that he's also taking extra time with other patients. Bring a book and be patient. His staff were all very friendly with me, I saw no problems there. Lastly, the fact that anyone would rate any doctor especially with Dr.Haaland's credentials as having knowledge of 1 is laughable. If you don't like the doctor that's fine but don't rate a doctor as having no knowledge that's ridiculous. Those "letters" next to his name don't mean nothing, and aren't just given to someone. Maybe try to google his credentials and trust he knows what he's doing, instead of googling your own symptoms and saying he's dumb.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016

Staff NEVER NEVER NEVER return calls!! I like Dr. But staff never returns calls or returns my emails (I'm trying to get information on how to take the next step for my meds) Maybe a month later..... after you have been suffering all that time! ! Wish doctors would check on their staff to see how they are answering the phone taking care of their patients and giving him questions from his patiants that are rather than passing it on to somebody else OR NOT. Obviously he has no idea what's going on behind closed doors. A good example is a .... the past 2 months I've been having lots of pain but hoping that I could do different things for myself to try and alleviate the pain. At the beginning of February I called to get a cortisone shot in my hands but couldn't get in for over a month. I emailed February 16th but still no reply as of yet. Phoned Monday 22nd they said she'd get back to me Monday or Tuesday . Now it's Wednesday called again early(as week end fast approaching) ... so far didn't get a reply even though she told me she would get back to me right away! It's so stressful! What can I do?

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

I can't believe anyone would rate Dr.Haaland anything but excellent. Yes,there is a long wait time but that is because he takes time with each patient. He listens and is a very caring doctor. He has been one of the best doctors I have ever had. You are warned in advance to bring a good book. I have a chronic condition and he has gone way beyond to try and find help fpr me! I have waited much longer in other specialist offices!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2016

I really liked this doctor and staff the had grey punctuality and helpfulness

flag | Submitted January 23, 2016

Dr. Derek Haaland's Credentials

Updates

• A new 4-star rating has been posted. "We are on the right track. Finally. A doctor who cares to take the time and dig into whatever it is I might have. Lots of blood work but that's being through. M..."

April 25, 2016
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "Don't even know where to begin. Sounds overall to me that this dr and office staff are either extremely awesome or extremely horrid. Yes waiting time was brut..."

April 15, 2016
  • A new 1.5-star rating has been posted. "Went there looking for answers. Left there with medication without a diagnoses. Did blood work. Had to hound the office for three months to get results of blood..."

April 3, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I am very pleased with Dr. Haaland and his staff."

March 24, 2016
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Haaland is very kind and knowledge. I had my first appointment last week. The nurses are fantastic. I've been to two other rheumatologists and for the first..."

March 23, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Haaland saved my life. I was in chronic pain from arthritis and lupus, he put me on a course of meds and I feel like I have my life back. I'm even going t..."

March 23, 2016
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "It was a long wait time I'll agree, however they did apologize for the wait which really is unnecessary. He is a doctor, and any specialist I've ever been to ha..."

March 16, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Staff NEVER NEVER NEVER return calls!! I like Dr. But staff never returns calls or returns my emails (I'm trying to get information on how to take the next ste..."

February 24, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I can't believe anyone would rate Dr.Haaland anything but excellent. Yes,there is a long wait time but that is because he takes time with each patient. He liste..."

February 6, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I really liked this doctor and staff the had grey punctuality and helpfulness"

January 23, 2016
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "I havent had any problems with this doctor he has always been helpful to me and answered all my questions and sent me for all the proper tests and got me in as..."

January 8, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "What shocks me about reading other ratings about this doctor and his staff that ANYONE would rate this man or his staff, anything higher than a 1! Right from t..."

December 27, 2015
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "The negative comments about Dr Haaland are exact. I found my experience with him and his office staff exasperating a conveyor belt specialist. Wait time was at..."

December 19, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Dr Haalands office door is simply an OHIP billing turnstile. Just a license to print money , nothing more."

December 18, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I went there cynical and left feeling respected and validated for my chronic pain. (Likely, we all know here what a personal psychological burden chronic pain ..."

November 25, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I was referred here by my doctor in North Bay for some allergy testing. Appointment was scheduled for 3:15 and didn't get out of the waiting room till 4:30. Whe..."

November 25, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "I waited hours, he tried to push me out in a few minutes....I was the last one there and I guess he had better things to do~at least that's how he makes you fee..."

November 24, 2015
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "The staff are wonderful, quite informative. However, you have to wait hours to be seen. The majority of us in the waiting area had driven hours to be seen. L..."

November 6, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "Has wasted 6 months of my life and just doesn't care enough to take the time to read my test. I show positive in several blood test but I'm not s priority to hi..."

November 2, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "Dr is knowledgable. ALthough, wait time is horrid (especially disgraceful to keep frail arthritic elderly waiting). Staff is disorganized and defensive."

September 15, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I have seen this doctor for 6 years for my RA and always feel he is trying to push heavy medications on me. He is very quick to prescribe medications or mult..."

June 24, 2015
  • A new 4-star rating has been posted. "Was referred to him by my family Dr. I have been battling back pain for quite sometime now. Ill admit the wait in the office was quite a long wait with my pain ..."

June 22, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I have been a patient of Dr. Haaland at McMaster for over a year. After seeing numerous specialist prior, I was feeling like a lost cause! He is very kind, cari..."

June 15, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr Haaland has changed my life!! Diagnosis & plan of action in no time. He is competent and reassuring. We all hate waiting in a dr's office but we all like ..."

May 27, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Haaland appears very busy. He did seem knowledgeable but he didn't ask me about my lifestyle. First appt he threw meds at me & a lab test report. Which cost..."

May 26, 2015
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "Absolutely horrible experience. Wait times for both visits 2hrs+. Left last appointment after a 2 1/2 hour wait and still did not see him. After having a wonder..."

May 20, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Seen Dr Haaland for the first time. I guess I lucked out. Only waited half hr. He seemed very knowledgable and made me feel like he was competent enough to solv..."

May 15, 2015
  • A new 4.5-star rating has been posted. "I was very impressed with dr. haaland and his team. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing the services he offers. very knowledgable, caring, honest and..."

May 7, 2015
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "Dr Haaland seems more interested in what his patients can do for his career than he does think about his patients needs. He shows up 2 hours after the first bo..."

April 17, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I would recomend this dr to anyone who asks,if it weren't for him i'd be dead by now,he found cancer when my own family dr brushed me off and told me to wait an..."

January 31, 2015
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Derek Haaland was the first doctor to ever take my concerns seriously, He referred me to the right places to get the help I needed. He was cheerful, and made su..."

January 22, 2015
  • A new 1.2-star rating has been posted. "it takes forever for them call back wait is long the nurse ask same stupid questions every time like should b on file. fibromyalia is a trauma in the past like ..."

January 22, 2015
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Worth the wait! If you are lucky enough to see him, you can trust the fact that you are in good hands."

November 4, 2014
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I have had RA for more than 30 years. In that time I have had several rheumatologists. Dr. Haaland is by far the worst. His wait times are disgraceful. Especia..."

November 3, 2014
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "His wait times are terrible and then he only takes 5 minutes with you. His staff takes all the info and then he shows up for a brief session and talks to me and..."

October 10, 2014
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Awesome team. They're now providing communication through email which is great! They reply within an appropriate amount of time. No need to sit on phone waiting..."

September 16, 2014