Ratings for Dr. Anson Koo

Dr. Koo helped my daughter so much when she was in the hospital. he has a way of talking that just gave me so much confidence in him. To me he is the definition of the ideal doctor. He just radiates compassion and caring and knowledge. We had two doctors during two previous admissions who totally refused to start my daughter on an injection so we could keep her well. It seems like they were scared to force the issue because she was against it. Dr. Koo said it just had to be done and he did it. And he put legal requirements in place so that she had to follow the treatment to keep well. Otherwise she would just stop everything, get sick and who knows what happen. We are so thankful to Dr. Koo and his team. My daughter has been out of hospital for over a year and a half now, which is amazing for her.. Dr Koo is incredible. You have to be cared for by him to truly understand.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

A shout-out to you Dr. Koo from a former medical student, now GP, wife and new mom, who worked on your clinical team a few years ago. Nominated you for a teaching award. Told all my friends they had to work with you. My time with you and your team remains the highlight of my entire medical training and learning experience, and I know many many medical students who've worked with you over the years feel the same way. Let me tell you why: 1. You are kind, generous, friendly, warm and patient. You don't create that artificial staff-student distance like so many others do. You ask about our lives, you seem genuinely interested in us as people, and that made us respect you all the more 2. You are kind to your patients and their families, even while they are upset and raising their voices at you, and crying and blaming you for not curing their illness -- your legendary calmness and kindness in the face of the toughest situations is amazing! 3. You are the consummate professional -- you speak like one, you dress like one 4. You always always show respect to other people on the team, whether it's a nurse, student, resident, unit clerk, or even the cleaning staff (I heard you say hello and good morning and ask 'how are your kids' to the cleaning ladies more than a few times). I never worked on a ward where someone is so universally respected by staff as when I worked with you. More than a couple of the nurses said you were their 'favourite doctor' 5. You know so much. You are busy but know the data, the literature, and you sent us the articles that back up what you are teaching. That was unreal! 6. You always gave us feedback that pointed out the problems, but also pointed out the good. Your feedback was kind but real, never missed an area we could improve. And when I asked if we could watch you interview, you did the most amazing interview I have ever seen anyone do in any field 7. You had so many roles, but never seemed stressed. Always the same respectful and generous person. No grumpy days at all. I'm trying to be like you as I now balance work, kids, family and a much more complicated life! 8. Overall, you are my role model for the 'ideal doctor', a renaissance man who knows about so much more than just medicine, and whose way of being the best possible doctor, teacher and person still resonates in my mind. (I also am pretty sure more than a few of my classmates had perhaps a bit of a crush on you!) Keep being you Dr. Koo!!!

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

I spend one week at Sherbrooke Center for depression and grief. I found the nurses uncaring and unkind, only one female nurse usually working night shift was very caring and compassionate the rest couldn't care less about the patients. I didn't find Dr. Ansoon Koo very helpful or caring. There is not private consultation at Sherbrook, Dr. Koo sees you in the morning accompanied with several student doctors. I don't think he cared about me or my situation, I was just a Ginny pig for his students. He didn't help at all. After my experience at Sherbrook center, I wouldn't see another psychiatrist even if you pay me to do it. Thank you Dr. Koo for nothing.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

so gentle friendly speaks like he do knows what he's talking gave me huge injection that I didn't no way want but end up to help me get up to well and good has a way for snaps his fingers and its all be done no way didn't like him then but good ok with him now I want for to marry him will be good

flag | Submitted April 22, 2016

What a quaint site this is! Such a cute idea, asking us little patients for their views on doctors! Dr. Koo is one of over 100 different doctors I've seen in this crazy screwed up health system of ours in the past 15 years struggling with fibromyalgia, pain, depression and lots of other yummy problems which turned me from a confident woman into a wreck. Well here are my teeny weenie two cents worth folks. Dr. Koo saw me at the mental health team in PoCo a long time ago in what seems a galaxy far far away after I left the government sanctioned prison, er, I mean psych hospital where I got called everything from an addict to an attention seeking princess. Dr. Koo was my saviour. Saw me for over two years at that team, through a bad bad break with the love of my life, unemployment, the whole deal folks. Didn't judge me as a drug seeking addict like so many others did. Didn't exactly turn my life around either, mind you, but for listening, not calling me names, or labelling me a trouble maker, drug addict, attention seeker, or worst, borderline, gave me dignity. For that alone, I thank him. A caring sweetheart of a doctor is what I would call Dr. Koo.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

I am a nurse who worked with Dr. Koo for a number of years. I speak for myself and many of my nursing colleagues who have come to respect and admire him. He's kind, respectful, adapts to each patient, respects patients and other staff, open minded, not judgmental, shares what he knows, knows everything, totally smart. We have said that if any of us needs psychiatric treatment in the future, this is the doctor we would want to take care of us. I miss working with him. Have not ever met a better psychiatrist anywhere.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2015

I am a health professional who had a family member admitted under Dr. Koo last year. He restored my faith in the field of psychiatry and mental health. His down to earth manner, honesty and confidence made me and my wife feel our daughter was in good hands. He took time to explain diagnosis and treatment and what aftercare would be. made me think about my own way of doing things and putting myself in shoes of the patient. I generally hate ratings sites for doctors but I feel I needed to share my experience of this young doctor who is wise and skilled. Never thought that I would come face to face with psychiatric disease in my family, and I am grateful it was Dr. Koo who took on the care. He elevated my impression of the field of psychiatry

flag | Submitted March 8, 2015

smart good looking snappy dresser nice friendly talks at your level no attitude what more can you ask for sorry that he only was able to see me for a few appointments because doesn't do long term but helped me in the time he saw me. Bit challenging to rebook missed appointments, keep calling

flag | Submitted October 24, 2014

Very impressive doctor. Confident and made us feel our mom is in good hands. Treated us with respect and has a very kind way about him. Very knowledgeable about treatment and the whole system. Couldn't have asked for more.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2014

Did a good job. Good knowledge. Straight talker. He made the best of a difficult situation when I was in hospital

flag | Submitted August 31, 2014